New professions that could be in the game

I noticed the professions tab in the character creation in Cataclysm DDA. My idea is that the list could be a little larger, with professions such as:

-Engineer;
-Soldier;
-Doctor;
-Politician(maybe);
-Psychiatrist(to keep high morales);
-Police Officer;
-Gangster;
-Others.

It’s not because i’m too lazy to make a character on my own, but it would be really cool if the characters had a bit of a background, some abilities and some initial equipment other than the standard knife and matchbook.

Since professions only start with items I’d say soldier would have to be basic training soldier.
Boots, Military Pants, (no military jacket) Light Jacket, Helmet, Ruck Sack, Sleeping Bag, Rain Coat(wet weather gear), M16 (or M4) with no ammo. (Like you’d trust a trainie with live rounds)
Obviously a high point cost. 4?

[quote=“Miloch, post:2, topic:1535”]Since professions only start with items I’d say soldier would have to be basic training soldier.
Boots, Military Pants, (no military jacket) Light Jacket, Helmet, Ruck Sack, Sleeping Bag, Rain Coat(wet weather gear), M16 (or M4) with no ammo. (Like you’d trust a trainie with live rounds)
Obviously a high point cost. 4?[/quote]
Yes, yes. Obviously higher “tier” professions with more qualities and equipment would have a higher point cost.
The soldier’s equipment would be cool the way you said, but let’s not be cruel and give him a full clip? :stuck_out_tongue:

An empty A4 is perfect, that loadout is epic and fits the game completely. That is a seriously good idea.

I also love the idea of the politician but since it only affects items we could give him some self esteem for dummies etc and a playboy and cocaine.

And maybe some whiskey. But i love the cocaine idea!

I think all the professions should be kinda low-end and mundane, Associate’s Degree or less so you don’t have doctors with zero skill in first aid or just a Big Book to read. And other points spent on skills would not seem out of place. They shouldn’t start with really good equipment either, just to keep them from costing an absurd amount of points and permanently gimping the player, or being too unbalanced.

With that in mind, like the soldier would be more like a reservist or guardsman that was mobilized but never managed to make it to the armory. So the full uniform, maybe a vest and kevlar or Guns and Ammo reading material, but no weapon. A doctor would be more like a paramedic, that starts off with a book and some medical supplies. Engineer would be a construction worker or mechanic.

Then again, I’d like to see starting equipment there in the character menu. Like you spend points on money and that money is spent on gear like with the defense-mode minigame, even weapons and such things if you want to max out your points and can afford them. Professions should be more like partially pre-made characters, with the skills and equipment already defined with a few points to distribute or not.

Starting gear should eliminate some of the boring or grindy parts, like smashing through every house in the suburbs trying to find a damn backpack.

actually the soldier profession wouldn’t be too bad an idea, a good starting place for new players since it starts with a weapon maybe not a full magazine but maybe 10 rounds (or maybe a random amount from 5-20 if that’s possible.)

also

[quote=“Blaze1711, post:3, topic:1535”] Yes, yes. Obviously higher “tier” professions with more qualities and equipment would have a higher point cost.
The soldier’s equipment would be cool the way you said, but let’s not be cruel and give him a full clip? :P[/quote]

[size=8pt]FF[/size]FF[size=11pt]FF[/size][size=12pt]FF[/size][size=14pt]FF[/size][size=16pt]FF[/size][size=18pt]FFFF[/size][size=20pt]FF[/size][size=21pt]FFF[/size][size=22pt]FF[/size][size=23pt]FF[/size][size=24pt]FFFF[/size][size=26pt]FF[/size][size=28pt]FF[/size][size=30pt]FF[/size][size=32pt]FF[/size][size=34pt]FF[/size][size=36pt]FF[/size]

[spoiler][size=99pt]MAGAZINE[/size]

THIS TEXT BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE SIZE 99[/spoiler]

Tourist. Hawaiian shirt, expensive camera, credit card, 1d4 scrolls of magic mapping.

Yes, it’s called a magazine. I am a National Guardsman. The gear I have is pretty much what I wrote there except for the M4/M16. I have four sets (trousers and blouse) of ACU (Army Combat Uniform), two pairs of boots, a kevlar (army helmet), a rucksack, an assault pack (ACU pattern backpack; tougher material), a LBE (Load Bearing Equipment; Belt Rig/Utility Vest), full set (trousers and jacket) of wet weather gear (rain coat), ACU Poncho, Poncho Liner (most often used as a blanket), Two pairs of Ballistic Eye Protection (better then safety glasses), Ballistic Goggles (for sandstorms), Two Canteens (attach to LBE), Assorted magazine and grenade pouches, Cold Weather Jacket and Trousers, etc… This is a basic load out for a soldier to have. A basic training soldier will have most of this, but none of the skills. Oh and they only issue out ammo to Basic Training soldiers under VERY controlled circumstances. But you carry your weapon around quite a bit. Just FYI. :slight_smile:

I am quite aware of carrying around a empty weapon hour after hour.

Flashback to basic training

good times. minus the whole thing with the pennies.

[quote=“ballfairy, post:7, topic:1535”]actually the soldier profession wouldn’t be too bad an idea, a good starting place for new players since it starts with a weapon maybe not a full magazine but maybe 10 rounds (or maybe a random amount from 5-20 if that’s possible.)

also

[quote=“Blaze1711, post:3, topic:1535”] Yes, yes. Obviously higher “tier” professions with more qualities and equipment would have a higher point cost.
The soldier’s equipment would be cool the way you said, but let’s not be cruel and give him a full clip? :P[/quote]

[size=8pt]FF[/size]FF[size=11pt]FF[/size][size=12pt]FF[/size][size=14pt]FF[/size][size=16pt]FF[/size][size=18pt]FFFF[/size][size=20pt]FF[/size][size=21pt]FFF[/size][size=22pt]FF[/size][size=23pt]FF[/size][size=24pt]FFFF[/size][size=26pt]FF[/size][size=28pt]FF[/size][size=30pt]FF[/size][size=32pt]FF[/size][size=34pt]FF[/size][size=36pt]FF[/size]

[spoiler][size=99pt]MAGAZINE[/size]

THIS TEXT BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE SIZE 99[/spoiler][/quote]
Sorry if i made a mistake there, in my country we don’t speak english and my english is VERY rusty so calm down and EAT SOME TWINKIES!

Twinkies haven’t gone back into production yet.

Whatever xD

You can make Twinkies yourself, in fact i made one myself. Link: DIY: Homemade Twinkies

I believe scoundrel already fills this role.