Wild veggies shouldn't be rotten when foraged (IMO)

Most of the wild veggies I find are already rotten, which makes foraging for food rather frustrating. I say foraged food should always be fresh when foraged. All in favor?

If you cook it, it becomes fresh again. Makes no sense and will should be fixed, but at least they are still a source of food.

But I agree. It should be fresh, and cooking it should not un-rot it. Fallen apples can still rot, but if it’s fresh from the tree/ground, it shouldn’t rot.

Its wise for the vegetables to come out rotten after you forage them, as most people clean there vegetables before eating them.
If you pick vegetables in the wild and eat them without atleast rinsing them first, there is a high chance that sooner or later your going to come across one infected with salmonella.
It is somewhat realistic, if you ask me.
An “unwashed” variable would be more realistic though.

But what about those time when you find rotten wild veggie IRL? The choice between starving and food poisoning is a real one, and I4d hate to loose it.

[quote=“Polaf, post:3, topic:549”]Its wise for the vegetables to come out rotten after you forage them, as most people clean there vegetables before eating them.
If you pick vegetables in the wild and eat them without atleast rinsing them first, there is a high chance that sooner or later your going to come across one infected with salmonella.
It is somewhat realistic, if you ask me.
An “unwashed” variable would be more realistic though.[/quote]
There is a significant difference between unwashed and rotting, comparing the two seems ridiculous to me. Having an unwashed condition would be good though, increasing chance of sickness and decreasing morale unless you wash them (Dirt doesn’t taste very good).

I’ve grown food in a garden (Maybe 15 kinds of plants, 6 or 7 of them edible), and most things don’t rot when they’re still alive and growing, they just get eaten by bugs and deer and such. They sometimes (get uprooted,) die, and start rotting, but that depends on whats trying to eat them and whether they’re a year+ old.

Yeah, only reason veggies will rot on the vine is if literally nothing else got to them before that point.

Which might be plausible in an apocalyptic world that currently has no birds, but I see all those bears, squirrels and bunnies bouncing around, it does get a little odd.

It’d be funny and horrible picking a bunch of delicious fruit in-game only to find out it’s full of maggots when you go to eat it. Hahaha. Maybe a low-chance occurrence.

If veggies (or berries, whatever) are rotten upon foraging, it’s a bug, will look into this…

It should have been fixed ages ago. They were having their age set to the birth of the world rather than the turn they were picked.

Oh, that explains why a look at the code didn’t make sense…

I haven’t encountered this. I assume it’s long been fixed since this thread was started.

Rotten is also in no way similar to unwashed, and the game already simulates the dangers of eating unprepared wild vegetables by having them decrease your health stat unless you cook them before eating them.

If you cook it, it becomes fresh again. Makes no sense and will should be fixed, but at least they are still a source of food.[/quote]

The application of heat not only kills all the pathogens in the food stuffs, but causes the toxins that the bacteria produces to denature as well. That being said, you need to cook it until it’s barely edible to be safe. Boiling also works, but the boiling until almost inedible also applies.

The common layperson probably shouldn’t be able to do this safely or properly. Methinks putting the recipes into emergency disaster pack wrappings, survival text books, or an army cooking manual would be more appropriate than allowing people to cook their veggies and meat like it wasn’t rotten and get away with it.

If you cook it, it becomes fresh again. Makes no sense and will should be fixed, but at least they are still a source of food.[/quote]allowing people to cook their veggies and meat like it wasn’t rotten and get away with it.[/quote]
This was also fixed. Long ago.

I’m still running around with my 0.4 character :E.