Why doesn't it fit?

If it doesn’t fit, why? Is it too tight, too loose? That goes through my mind as I see the fits tag. It may be a combination of the too. If it’s loose, sew it smaller and either cut off the excess, or leave it in. If it’s tight, you’ll have to add material, more like now. And the effects of having it too tight or too loose, and sometimes having fitting clothing isn’t the best. Tight, not a good idea most of the time. Loose, more comfortable. And there is a degree to how tight and loose something gets. I’ve been thinking on it a bit, and said my peace for the most part.

I only agree with you partially, if at all; only in the sense that tight or sturdy clothing isn’t always the best, and not absolutey every single piece of clothing should be reinforceable (“You make your || pillow extra sturdy!”). I think changing the (fits) into (loose) or (tight) isn’t necessary. Do you really want those few pieces of rags or thread out of cloth adjustments? Or spending less materials depending on the state the clothes are in? Sounds unnecessarily ‘complex’ to me.

I’d love to be able to modify different parts of clothes to my liking (say, cut the leg part of off the duster to make it less encumbering), but I’d never ask somebody to actually work on adding this feature because making every single item customizeable to such a degree is not a realistic request (I guess).

Yeahh, the problem can be boiled down to item and crafting recipe bloat. A little realism is not realistic enough, too much realism overcrowds all the other gamey elements.

Good points, good points.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:2, topic:10879”]I only agree with you partially, if at all; only in the sense that tight or sturdy clothing isn’t always the best, and not absolutey every single piece of clothing should be reinforceable (“You make your || pillow extra sturdy!”). I think changing the (fits) into (loose) or (tight) isn’t necessary. Do you really want those few pieces of rags or thread out of cloth adjustments? Or spending less materials depending on the state the clothes are in? Sounds unnecessarily ‘complex’ to me.

I’d love to be able to modify different parts of clothes to my liking (say, cut the leg part of off the duster to make it less encumbering), but I’d never ask somebody to actually work on adding this feature because making every single item customizeable to such a degree is not a realistic request (I guess).[/quote]
I was actually thinking of having loose and tight with fits. It would be more of a modifiying tag that gives stats to an object. Plus the tailoring kit (or whatever the newest one is) does allow a more complex lvl of modification.

Well, I think it’s called, the tailoring kit allows more complex clothing modification, and it wouldn’t really a crafting bloat since it’s a simple inclusion of tags. It allows the addition of wool for warmth, and leather for sturdy, for example. You’re saying you don’t want a feature, but it’s actually in.

I’m not calling that complex. What I meant is advanced clothing item modification, such as cutting a certain part off or adding another. For example, ‘survivor winter coat’ => ‘sleeveless survivor winter coat’. You’d have to change the following: warmth, encumberance, armor rating, item name/prefix, storage, volume and weight. Perhaps even more stuff I’m not smart enough to understand. Think about being able to manipulate every piece of clothing that way; making pants shorter, longer, tighter, looser, adding pockets or different materials (much like the way it is right now) and more.

All you can do right now is magically reinforce a wearable item to make it sturdier (higher armor rating?), line it with wool or fur (warmth, encumberance) and line it with Kevlar (armor rating, encumberance). Your options are quite limited, I wouldn’t call this system ‘complex’.

By “limited” I mean that you have your base stats, and you can only add onto them, say make the item more encumbering to get more warmth. Or make it more encumbering to add protection. Think about being able to modify absolutely every shirt or pants to your liking. Lowering warmth for armor, lowering armor for warmth, lowering armor and warmth for encumberance etc. THAT, for EVERY single item, would be ‘complex’, don’t you think?

What stats? I can’t think of anything offhand that would be adjusted by tight/loose that isn’t already covered by it having the “fitted” tag.

I’m not calling that complex. What I meant is advanced clothing item modification, such as cutting a certain part off or adding another. For example, ‘survivor winter coat’ => ‘sleeveless survivor winter coat’. You’d have to change the following: warmth, encumberance, armor rating, item name/prefix, storage, volume and weight. Perhaps even more stuff I’m not smart enough to understand. Think about being able to manipulate every piece of clothing that way; making pants shorter, longer, tighter, looser, adding pockets or different materials (much like the way it is right now) and more.

All you can do right now is magically reinforce a wearable item to make it sturdier (higher armor rating?), line it with wool or fur (warmth, encumberance) and line it with Kevlar (armor rating, encumberance). Your options are quite limited, I wouldn’t call this system ‘complex’.

By “limited” I mean that you have your base stats, and you can only add onto them, say make the item more encumbering to get more warmth. Or make it more encumbering to add protection. Think about being able to modify absolutely every shirt or pants to your liking. Lowering warmth for armor, lowering armor for warmth, lowering armor and warmth for encumberance etc. THAT, for EVERY single item, would be ‘complex’, don’t you think?[/quote]
Yes and understandable. Also I think leather was one useable objects but still. Yes, it could certainly be more complex.

What stats? I can’t think of anything offhand that would be adjusted by tight/loose that isn’t already covered by it having the “fitted” tag.[/quote]
The whole concept is why doesn’t it fit. For a giant, most clothing would be tight, for a little person or child, most would be loose. But, yes, stats do have a factor. Looser clothing is know for protecting against heat, such as in Arabic counties, while tighter does add warmth, which is why we bundle up in the north. Loose clothing are more encumbering when wet, tight are less encumbering, but uncomfortable at times, depending on material, or may not be able to get on at all. If you find a shirt, it will either fit, be too tight, or too loose. Or a combination of tight and loose, but that goes a little too much into detail. Basically you’ed be assigning clothing sizes to people and clothing. I wouldn’t expect a fat zombie wearing a size S shirt, nor would I expect to find a size XXL on a kid. Though the second one I know is still possible, yet the first one to be impossible. And then when changing it to fit, it changes materials used/gained, plus the materials clothing can proved when butchered. I butcher both a XXL shirt and a S shirt of same condition, I expect to get more from the XXL shirt. And when making clothing, more material is needed to make an XXL shirt, while it takes less to make a S shirt, giving an benefit to people with dwarfism, and another disadvantage to people with giantism. This is just I thought I wanted to explore, and see where it leads.