Clothing mods?

Well, in the real world, we can repair our clothes, and so is modifying them (well, not exactly) . So why not some mods for clothing?
It could be simply an extra pocket sewed into your trenchcoat, or extra ceramic plates on your Kevlar vest.
Thoughts?

Weapons mods are balanced because they’re rare. Rags and leather are everywhere.

Yeah but is just like in real life, I think its a good idea.

I kinda like it, but it would have to wait for the inventory revamp i.e., the container system - an extra pocket for instance, wouldn’t increase your weight and volume stats (it would negatively affect the clothing item in question to the tune of 1-3 each, I suppose, depending on size), but it could increase the inventory object limit by 4/8/12 or 5/10/15.

Of course for balancing purposes you’d have to limit it to, say, two mods per item of clothing, have only certain types of clothing be mod-able in the first place (no multi-pocket bandanas, armoured sunglasses or fur-lined rain coats) and make it so regular modded items can’t be reinforced…

But yeah - I like it, especially as it could be an integral part of the new system - certain special items like the belt rig, utility vest, backpacks (and even a regular belt) would be crying out to be modded to suit each character’s needs under the container system - these items of course would have more than 2 mod slots available and would come in a standard arrangement with several item-specific mods already available to them; but then they could be swapped/expanded/changed around - basically, outfitted like a duty belt with the pouches, tool/gun holsters, webbing etc. that your character needs.

[spoiler]This would also (on a tangent, I know) open up the possibilities of flashlight/pocket knife/multitool pouches, water canteen/hydration bladder and mess kit pouches; (a)ctivatable FAK’s and PSK’s (First Aid Kits/Personal Survival Kits) that are craftable from meds/bandages and tools/supplies (along with a suitable container that they get packed into), but take up less volume in inventory until you open them.

[sub]Of course, we’d have to have an altoids tin in game in that case.[/sub]

I can’t tell you the amount of extra bits & pieces of kit I’ve got ‘modded’ to my outdoor gear, not ceramic armour and extra pockets, but all the other above (no, not the armoured sunglasses et al) - hell, there’s more stuff just on my keychain than the poor sods starting in the evac shelters get![/spoiler]

If you can’t tell, I’m vaguely enthused about the possibilities.

I don’t recognize any serious problem with a fur-lined raincoat. May be a bit encumbering, but it shouldn’t be impossible. What am I missing??

Come to think of it, I kinda like the idea too. Glad you at least don’t have a problem with the ridiculousness of a bandana with pockets or armoured sunglasses - though once again, both are oddly appealing.

Reckon I just thought the rain coat is a fairly flimsy plastic thingamabob and probably couldn’t take the stitching and extra weight.

A bandana with pockets is ridiculous, but I like the idea of modifying clothing in general.

a banana with pockets could actually be an upgrade , as the pockets can be extra layer of filtering plus you can carry your combat knives and handguns in it.

Sorry, don’t mean to take advantage of a minor typo, but I’m a bit of a sarcastic git, so really couldn’t resist…

…And I was all for asking where the knives & guns go when you have to wear the bandana on your face as said filter - just intrigued, as a couple of combat knives floating round your chin while a 9mm is stuck up your nose could prove more hazardous even than the most deadly smoke inhalation!

So, tell me more of pocket-modded bananas…

But semi-seriously, I’d not thought of the extra layer of filtering a pocket or simple ‘extra layer’ mod would provide. Seems all my barmy nonsensical suggestions have some possibility in fact. Just waiting now for someone to validate armoured sunglasses.

Well, if you carry them in conjunction with an armoured filter mask and an helmet, it’s basically an armoured faceplate.

Damn those pesky kids… foiled again.

So, armoured sunglasses, an extra-pocketed bandana and a fur-lined rain coat it shall be.

Never fear, I shall continue to come up with ever more improbable possibilities, though I’m drawing a blank for now, stupefied by my inate unknowing genius, I expect.

[quote=“Tilion, post:4, topic:2738”]I kinda like it, but it would have to wait for the inventory revamp i.e., the container system - an extra pocket for instance, wouldn’t increase your weight and volume stats (it would negatively affect the clothing item in question to the tune of 1-3 each, I suppose, depending on size), but it could increase the inventory object limit by 4/8/12 or 5/10/15.

Of course for balancing purposes you’d have to limit it to, say, two mods per item of clothing, have only certain types of clothing be mod-able in the first place (no multi-pocket bandanas, armoured sunglasses or fur-lined rain coats) and make it so regular modded items can’t be reinforced…

But yeah - I like it, especially as it could be an integral part of the new system - certain special items like the belt rig, utility vest, backpacks (and even a regular belt) would be crying out to be modded to suit each character’s needs under the container system - these items of course would have more than 2 mod slots available and would come in a standard arrangement with several item-specific mods already available to them; but then they could be swapped/expanded/changed around - basically, outfitted like a duty belt with the pouches, tool/gun holsters, webbing etc. that your character needs.

[spoiler]This would also (on a tangent, I know) open up the possibilities of flashlight/pocket knife/multitool pouches, water canteen/hydration bladder and mess kit pouches; (a)ctivatable FAK’s and PSK’s (First Aid Kits/Personal Survival Kits) that are craftable from meds/bandages and tools/supplies (along with a suitable container that they get packed into), but take up less volume in inventory until you open them.

[sub]Of course, we’d have to have an altoids tin in game in that case.[/sub]

I can’t tell you the amount of extra bits & pieces of kit I’ve got ‘modded’ to my outdoor gear, not ceramic armour and extra pockets, but all the other above (no, not the armoured sunglasses et al) - hell, there’s more stuff just on my keychain than the poor sods starting in the evac shelters get![/spoiler]

If you can’t tell, I’m vaguely enthused about the possibilities.[/quote]
Just what i had in mind.

Sorry, don’t mean to take advantage of a minor typo, but I’m a bit of a sarcastic git, so really couldn’t resist…

…And I was all for asking where the knives & guns go when you have to wear the bandana on your face as said filter - just intrigued, as a couple of combat knives floating round your chin while a 9mm is stuck up your nose could prove more hazardous even than the most deadly smoke inhalation!

So, tell me more of pocket-modded bananas…

But semi-seriously, I’d not thought of the extra layer of filtering a pocket or simple ‘extra layer’ mod would provide. Seems all my barmy nonsensical suggestions have some possibility in fact. Just waiting now for someone to validate armoured sunglasses.[/quote]
It was kind of stupid suggestion from me , because bananas clearly don’t need more filters than their skin.
As for the pockets , you could turn the bandanas in a toolbelt for your mouth.
A toolbelt that acts like a filter PLUS free protection by the tools you put in it!

Great minds and all that - glad you like!

[quote=“woflsipder, post:13, topic:2738”]It was kind of stupid suggestion from me , because bananas clearly don’t need more filters than their skin.
As for the pockets , you could turn the bandanas in a toolbelt for your mouth.
A toolbelt that acts like a filter PLUS free protection by the tools you put in it![/quote]

It’s equal parts novel, genius and ridiculous - I love it.

Sheesh, this did start out with some real possibilities for future clothing mods and some, I thought, idiotic alternatives. I still hold out hope that it will one day prove fruitful, but I defy anyone, [size=14pt]anyone [/size] to find a well-reasoned common-sense use for a multi-pocket bandana mouth-toolbelt!

[sub]Just watch - it’ll happen, now…[/sub]

You can pack ice in the pockets if your face is bruised.

Aaaarrrghh…

Sheb! Woflsipder! KA101!

[size=12pt]Goddamnit![/size]

Why? Why must you all torment me so?

That really is just about well-reasoned; though it doesn’t cover the whole mouth-toolbelt whatchamaddoferit. So HA!

Well I dunno if I really want to play with socks and gloves now that just anything can be enjoyed via .jsons (altough hard leather arm guards with spikes could lead to some melee styles) but clothing redesign may be a nice way to introduce, say, jetpacks. (!)

They’re…clothing mods, more or less. Oversize gear fits over your weird augs or mutations that prevent tighter clothes from working, and Pockets allow you to stick your hands in them to keep warm.

Hijack reversed!

[quote=“xibalba”]Then we already have four clothing mods:

1. Fit them to you (reduce encumberance by 1)
  2. Make them sturdier (survive longer without being destroyed)
  3. Add hand-warming pockets (useful for sleeping I guess)
  4. Oversize (works with weird mutations)

I think that more clothing should be tailorable, but that fitting clothing should have a difficulty level that depends on the material. It’s harder to fit a pair of leather pants to your body than a pair of jeans.

Along with that, I don’t see why we can’t attach chitinous plates or a layer of kevlar to our clothes. Maybe a crafting recipe for a piece of clothing that incorporates kevlar or plating could require the material to be added and the clothing it’s added to. That seems like the simplest solution. What do you think?

Jeans + kevlar + 15 charges sewing-kit/bone-needle = Heavily-Reinforced Kevlar Jeans
^Same as normal jeans, but + 10 cutting reduction, + 2 bashing reduction, and + 1 leg encumberance.

Jeans + kevlar + 15 charges sewing-kit/bone-needle = Lightly-Reinforced Kevlar Jeans.
^Same as normal jeans, but +5 cutting reduction.

Speaking as a former homeless man and hitch-hiker, some shoes can be modded to last longer and to fit you better. Mostly it requires duct tape, something to poke some holes, thick sewing string, and in some cases tough cloth. Again, it’s JSON modding.

tl;dr

There’s no need to come up with additional clothing mods when we can create pseudo clothing mods with judicious JSON editing.[/quote]

Sorry, wasn’t clear. The “more or less” was because you can’t actually add them. They’d make decent crafting options, I should think.

Think about it. My wardrobe has loads of clothes. I could certainly cut some old ones up and make a trenchcoat-- or sew extra pockets in. I actually did that to my denim jacket awhile ago, sew a few extra pockets in.

I do also agree with sewing in chitinous/kevlar plate. I’d also suggest that you are able to sew in sheet metal to certain pieces of large clothing (Mainly jackets, trenchcoats, hoodies…)

also how the hell do you add deep pockets to warm the hands? i’ve noticed trenchcoats and fur trenchcoats come with them already (I think?) but ~.~