Interesting ideas for clothing and fitting

So I had the idea the other day that when you find items in cats they ether “fit” or they don’t. What if we could have it done in such a way that there is a posibility that you could find clothing that are way way to big or to small? Maybe extra large or small clothing could be double refitted? Prehaps even a negative trait that makes you only be able to wear these larger clothing (husky?) And make all those newish student ocupations use the little clothing (because they are children). Just an idea what do you guys think?

its easier to fit clothing too loose for you than too tight. sizes might be a nice way to restrict the clothing a player has access too, and thus make it even harder to scavenge a set of armor.

But up to this point almost no attention has been paid to size, gender, or other differences. Clothing that would fit a bear-man would fit a parkouring 3’6’’ elementary schooler. I dont know if they wont, or havent because its largely irrelevant.

Would DL if mod though.

I can’t speak for everyone but I play cata for the details and semi realism. I think this kind of extra little detail would go a long way.

I love this. Currently it’s either non-fit or fits. Could also have, like you said,

• Too large: 2 sizes too large; +10 or +20 encumberance over normal. You might still want to grab or wear the item for later refit. Taking the item would just add to your load though. A single refit brings this to normal. The second refit yields (fits).
  • Too small: Unlike ‘too large’, you couldn’t actually wear this item at all. It would have to be fitted. A single refit would yield (fits).

Both items could still be cut to pieces, so they would have some tactical/strategic value.

How many sizes? How do you tell the player what the clothing sizes are? How do you handle non-human sizes? How do you pick what size the player is? What about wearing multiple clothes of the same type, do you have to get a size up for the outer ones? How many layers per size? Does the number change based on the type of clothing? What are the effects of too large clorhes? Too small? What if it’s by several sizes? How much more material do you need to make a larger size?

This is just the start of the endless questions you get if you apply sizes to clothes, and I can’t think of any particularly nice things you get out of it.

Having some sort of size measuring for the player could be cool.
We have a bunch of references to player size based on str_max. Most of them are in the ancient parts of the code - those full of bright prospects for the future but devoid of balancing or code quality - but they aren’t standardized in any way.

Having different fit sizes could prevent weirdness like Large+Fat mutant killing a zed kid and noticing that heels that the kid wore count as fitting.
Even if it was just 3 - small, medium, large. Small could be for 6- str, large for 12+ (and Large mutation).

The current fitting system has an advantage that “one size fits all (or none)” doesn’t require reference to player in any of the functions.
Changing it could be annoying to implement, but then we could easily have mutations that don’t forbid wearing clothing, just penalize it. Webbed hands/hooves/paws disabling the ability to wear ANBC and power armor is one of the reasons “non-monstrous” mutation trees are more popular than the “monstrous” ones.

Oh hey, if I were going to tile the existing system of xl clothing, what mutations would make you big enough to wear the xl clothing?

Also, I would have to make the clothes fit the mutation, without the mutation, they will be hanging off of you, which might not be that bad of a thing.

Leather pants - Standard size leather pants. Maybe a little too big or tight but you can wear them with some discomfort and loss of mobility.
Leather pants (fits) - Oh man, these fit you perfectly. You can hardly feel them while you wear them!
Leather pants (large) - Oh jeez. You’re going to need two sessions with a sewing kit before they fit you perfectly. These are huge! Although in this current state, this item could accommodate mutated anatomy.
Leather pants (too small) - Nope, too small. Can’t quite wear these. BUT. You could “hack” these with a sewing kit. Cut the pants in half and adjoin the halves together with thread so that they fit you. Good as new.

So the steps would be:
Leather pants --> Leather pants (fits)
Leather pants (fits) --> (OK)
Leather pants (large) --> Leather pants --> Leather pants (fits)
Leather pants (too small) --> Leather pants (fits) …OR… Leather pants (hacked)

Then you could have:
Leather pants (hacked) - These used to be too small but then you found scissors or a similar cutting tool and some thread to adjoin the halves together. Now they fit you… but they don’t hold heat quite as well. Good for summers, bad for winters.

Maybe come up with a better word for ‘hacked’. And if we have ‘hacked’ clothing, should we be able to produce them from normal clothing, too?

Oh… right. If (large) clothing items could be worn by mutated characters, would that make them overpowering?