Why are lovecraftian horrors camping out outside of every single shelter?

Recently I’ve noticed that whenever I start a game there’s always a Mi-Go somewhere within the immediate vicinity of my starting shelter, which besides being extremely fucking creepy is also usually way beyond something that a character that’s just starting out can take on, or outrun.
So why exactly are they spawning around shelters now? And more importantly, how do I get more than one step out of my shelter without getting my face torn off by one of them?

Did you enabled the Surrounded start option?

They’ve been added to spawn locations for random science/military corpses, or one or the other, I don’t know. In any case, yes, it’s happened to me too. Usually it will kill your character. You can’t outrun them, you may try to get them stuck on terrain and escape from them via pathing.

That has been my strategy as well. It can work if there is a forest nearby

If you start with the trapper profession and one point in trapping (6 skill in traps) you can safely disarm the shotgun and crossbow traps laying around everywhere. Use the shotgun to kill migos use the crossbow to kill krecks.

Adapt mang.

Bush fires are very OP, with no melee skill and a pipe I’ve cleared a size 2 town with it, including a brute and cop zombie.

Neither of those strategies work particularly well on something that’s both faster than you and making a beeline for you the second you step out of the shelter.

Suddenly I feel very glad for the rebar railgun I built…

Those things are wonderful. I kept two rechargable UPS units in my cars recharger and used them to take out turrets outside outposts to great effect. Those trails are great.

This right here, it’s sort of a lore reason for why you are finding a bunch of corpses around

That said I’m pretty sure we hit a general reduction on map specials like that a while back, so it should be less of a problem in the experimentals than it is in the stable game.

Can we change it from mi-gos to a kreck or something? Because when I first saw the migos (4-5) I fired two full UZI clips in him and he did not stop, so I used my meth and emergency oxygen to run the fuck away.

I think it’s just a generic denizen spawn pull, so it should be just as possible to get krecks as it is to get Mi-go’s or flaming eyes.

Can we remove mi-gos form the corpse spawns? Because seriously, if it ignores 2 full uzi clips on burst fire I think it may be hard to kill if it is at shelter.

It can pull from a shortened list: kreck, gracken, mi-go, or amoebic blob. Of those, krecks can be a starting-level hazard, mi-go are an early-to-midgame hazard, and grackens/blobs tend to live and let live. (Grackens have melee 10, but tend not to go Hostile! IME.)

I regret that you’re having difficulty, though I also regret having to put up with complaints from folks that corpses are free loot. So if you’ve got a better idea for a quasi-guard that provides a better difficulty curve, let me know.

It can pull from a shortened list: kreck, gracken, mi-go, or amoebic blob. Of those, krecks can be a starting-level hazard, mi-go are an early-to-midgame hazard, and grackens/blobs tend to live and let live. (Grackens have melee 10, but tend not to go Hostile! IME.)

I regret that you’re having difficulty, though I also regret having to put up with complaints from folks that corpses are free loot. So if you’ve got a better idea for a quasi-guard that provides a better difficulty curve, let me know.[/quote]
I could see zombie soldiers around soldier corpses instead of mi-gos. However, nether inhabitants do seem appropriate for dead scientists.

I regret that you’re having difficulty, though I also regret having to put up with complaints from folks that corpses are free loot. So if you’ve got a better idea for a quasi-guard that provides a better difficulty curve, let me know.[/quote]
I could see zombie soldiers around soldier corpses instead of mi-gos. However, nether inhabitants do seem appropriate for dead scientists.[/quote]

We already have zed soldier spawns at milcorpses. Roughly a 1/10 chance per corpse that it’s a zombie instead. Same with scientists and drug deals.

Even horrors from beyond need a vacation from time to time.

[quote=“KA101, post:14, topic:5750”][/quote]
I also regret having to put up with complaints from folks that corpses are free loot. So if you’ve got a better idea for a quasi-guard that provides a better difficulty curve, let me know.
[/quote]

You could always make sure that nothing unusual spawns within a map square containing a shelter. Seems like the obvious solution.

Needs to be several squares. I judge that from my own experience of shelters in forests (Stupid NPCs with their jabberwock quests).

“Make sure character spawns in a ‘safe zone’”.
Nope.
I do keep meaning to add an action where you can peek through curtains without giving yourself away, so you can peer through the curtains and see your doom coming.