Whats Your Favorite And/Or Most fun Combat Style To Survive Cataclysm?

Well, to be honest I cheated the construction skill in. Didn't feel like taking apart everything to get to the point where I can reinforce windows.

I think boarding up windows and doors is one of the faster ways to train it, but lacking a steady stream of nails and 2x4s, you can just till soil and then tamp it again. Or tamp farm plots or giant worm mounds. Pretty merciful compared to something like trapping.

[quote=ā€œTurningBreeze, post:41, topic:6182ā€]

Well, to be honest I cheated the construction skill in. Didnā€™t feel like taking apart everything to get to the point where I can reinforce windows.

I think boarding up windows and doors is one of the faster ways to train it, but lacking a steady stream of nails and 2x4s, you can just till soil and then tamp it again. Or tamp farm plots or giant worm mounds. Pretty merciful compared to something like trapping.[/quote]

I agree why is trapping so ridiculously hard to level? I made enough trapes to litter my battlefield of a lawn into a unpassible mass of spikes and boards, but after making 15-25 I only got to lvl 1 and (50%) I believe, those suckers take a lot of nails and 2 by 4s

Day 1, grab as many rocks as you can, stand right next to the shelter wall, throw the rocks at the wall till you hit at least level 4 throwing. It takes ridiculously little in-game time to do.

Ideal throwing weapons are low volume, high cut/pierce damage, given how throw damage is calculated. Like I mentioned, the most efficient throwing weapon is throwing knives, but you have to do a ton of work to be able to craft them. Until you get there, your best bet is to craft wooden javelins, and also collect any knives you come across (Combat knives, butcher knives, machetes) to use as throwing weapons.

I also craft a few throwing axes. They arenā€™t as space efficient, but they do more damage than the knives, and are handy when you want a single target dead ASAP.

Iā€™m running around with 15 combat knives and 6 throwing axes. Iā€™m looking forward to the Railgun cybernetic :slight_smile:

Youā€™ll want a secondary combat skill to deal with things that reach you in melee range. You have a huge variety of options here, since you donā€™t need to have your throwing weapons equipped.

[quote=ā€œFunsizeNinja123, post:31, topic:6182ā€]My favorite style?

Wellā€¦ I like using bows and melee weapons. I like pistols aswell. My one of my longer chars that Iā€™m playing right now isā€¦ Well just let me show you.
[/quote]

Just gonna throw out that the doubled-up pouches, packs, belts, etc are gonna get Nerfed as soon as we can get to it. Might wanna dial back a bit.

And Iā€™m impressed at the lack of Ninjutsu. Box on.

[quote=ā€œKA101, post:44, topic:6182ā€][quote=ā€œFunsizeNinja123, post:31, topic:6182ā€]My favorite style?

Wellā€¦ I like using bows and melee weapons. I like pistols aswell. My one of my longer chars that Iā€™m playing right now isā€¦ Well just let me show you.
[/quote]

Just gonna throw out that the doubled-up pouches, packs, belts, etc are gonna get Nerfed as soon as we can get to it. Might wanna dial back a bit.

And Iā€™m impressed at the lack of Ninjutsu. Box on.[/quote]
Nerfed as in less storage or more encumbrance?

Does that mean I get to dual wield if I chug enough mutagen?[/quote]
I meant the weight of the zweihanders. It would be cool if dual wielding is added, and you can get the eight tentacle mutation and wield eight weapons.

1. Machete
  2. Pike
  3. Rising Sun
  4. Morningstar
  5. No. 9
  6. Diamond katana
  7. Nodachi
  8. Sledghammer[/quote]

Youā€™d probably be better off becoming Huge, and of that list, the No.9 is a machete, likewise the Rising Sun and diamond katana, and the pike, nodachi, and sledge are all generally two-handed. So yeah, thereā€™s no support for dual wielding.

Does that mean I get to dual wield if I chug enough mutagen?[/quote]
I meant the weight of the zweihanders. It would be cool if dual wielding is added, and you can get the eight tentacle mutation and wield eight weapons.

1. Machete
  2. Pike
  3. Rising Sun
  4. Morningstar
  5. No. 9
  6. Diamond katana
  7. Nodachi
  8. Sledghammer[/quote]

Youā€™d probably be better off becoming Huge, and of that list, the No.9 is a machete, likewise the Rising Sun and diamond katana, and the pike, nodachi, and sledge are all generally two-handed. So yeah, thereā€™s no support for dual wielding.[/quote]
I know; I meant it as a joke.

[quote=ā€œForrest, post:45, topic:6182ā€][quote=ā€œKA101, post:44, topic:6182ā€][quote=ā€œFunsizeNinja123, post:31, topic:6182ā€]My favorite style?

[/quote]

And Iā€™m impressed at the lack of Ninjutsu. Box on.[/quote]
Nerfed as in less storage or more encumbrance?[/quote]

More encumbrance. No duplicating same bodypart & same layer and not getting encumbered. Ought to cut down on overvolume and overprotection complaints, I hope.

Damn. Every one of my characters has a LAW, P90, and multiple pipe bombs in small bags on their body.

Iā€™m not very far into my game(Day 11, but itā€™s mostly been me fapping about at public works trying to get some semblance of life going) and I havenā€™t actually raided any labs or outposts or anything but so far silat + combat knife works wonders for me.

Update on the BADASS-ERY That is my crossbow.

So im diging pits around my base and a horde spawns on top of me, cuz why not? so naturally I defend the home turf, I slew atleast 40 zombies as they all trickled through my defense, and a HULK FUCKING SPAWNED RIGHT OUT FUCKING SIDE by the way, this is day 11 and the first time ive ever seen a hulk in game ( I have played characters lasting more than a year ) so I reload my crossbow and take the chump down without taking a scratch, however I did have a Kevlar vest

Additionally I am a huge fan of how awesome the blood splatter / Meat chunks fly when you kill things.

Crowbar ā€¦ followed by Combat Knife. If I can get my hands on one: No-Dachi.

For mechanical enemies: Whatever ranged weapon is available, except bows or x-bows.

Nails are easy. Burn down a house, set your autopickup to grab nails, and walk over all the rubble. You should end up with about 1000.

Bear? Not sure if I can tackle that shit even when clutching both hands on a sword - they ARE fucking tough.
Man/zombie is much easier, if I rip up a little bit iā€™d be more than able to bring down two or three of them by playing defensively.[/quote]

Please donā€™t take that personally, but I think you overestimate yourself a little bit. Itā€™s indeed completly possible to wield a two-handed sword with one hand (as in RL, they are not giant meat cleavers like they are in movies/games, theyā€™re just swords with a really long blade), their weight, and especially their size (as they can have a blade up to 170cm long) would prevent anyone from using them effectivly when one-handed.

More to the point, it is not just about being able to move them, but also react quickly to things, recover from impacts, and apply force. Being able to use two hands is, itself, actually an advantageā€¦

My fighting style tends to be going Cyber-Valkyrie on the undead horrors who dare defy my Odinā€™s will with extreme prejudice, with lots and lots of guns, Grenade, rockets, CBMs power of the Gods,swords when I can find them, and hammers.

EDIT: 250x Valhalla coins Points if you got wings

I once felt pretty happy about marching up to a military camp leaving a trail of expended laws in my wake. Destroyed most of the loot though : (

Bear? Not sure if I can tackle that shit even when clutching both hands on a sword - they ARE fucking tough.
Man/zombie is much easier, if I rip up a little bit iā€™d be more than able to bring down two or three of them by playing defensively.[/quote]

Please donā€™t take that personally, but I think you overestimate yourself a little bit. Itā€™s indeed completly possible to wield a two-handed sword with one hand (as in RL, they are not giant meat cleavers like they are in movies/games, theyā€™re just swords with a really long blade), their weight, and especially their size (as they can have a blade up to 170cm long) would prevent anyone from using them effectivly when one-handed.[/quote]
Eh, I wonā€™t take it even seriously since you overestimate weight and unwieldiness of the zweihander-like sword. I know what Iā€™m talking about, seriously. The whole point of fight with 1-handed BIG SWORD(claymore, zwei, bastard, flamberge, hell, even espadon) is to evade being hit and laying down one straight hit. Due to the mass of sword this hit placed basically anywhere wil either heavily cripple unarmored target or leave a big dent in armor and possibly cause a bone fracture depending on how it went. The problem here is that you canā€™t resort to two-handed grip fencing and blocking - however, it IS possible to block while 1-handing a big sword but thatā€™s ratherā€¦ unconventional and includes a lot of spinning and showing your back to enemy.

I think back when the caveman challenge was going I used a spear, club and only wore a loincloth. only ate meat, used a stone pot to cook in and thats pretty much itā€¦was more fun than it sounds, especially fighting moose.

so many dead charactersā€¦so many

I only recently started playing this game, so my playstyle is mostly:

1. Get a motor
  2. Craft a bunch of sawn-off pipe shotguns and rifles, store them in vehicleā€™s basket
  3. Install spikes and blades
  4. Drive by, let go of controls, shoot, swap to another weapon
  5. Smash into an ambulance

The upside is staying hella mobile. If I really feel like killing these zombies, I just do circles around them - and after that I can continue my journey without even thinking twice about that horde behind me. The downsides are everything else.

But Iā€™ve been recently thinking about making a ā€œMetro 2033ā€ challengeā€¦ As soon as I find a way to survive in the subway Iā€™ll post how this affected my gameplay. I guess it will be go get water, bump into zombies, return to the camp to rest my wounds, die from dehydration.