Melee Weapons

What is your favorite type of melee weapon to use? Do you like Bashing skulls in, or would rather be a caveman, and use your pointy stick to pierce a zombie through it’s stomach? Give your opinions.

I used to be a pretty big unarmed/martial arts fan, but I found a zweihander in my current game and good lord it’s amazing. So +1 to that.

I haven’t explored the potential of melee fully, but I do well with the butt of a Saiga, or a rock in a sock

Taekwondo and Nodachi.

I usually just stick with at least 2 Knife Spears. I throw one when closing in and then stab with the other one.

I used to be a big fan of piercing and cutting weapons. However i really like bashing weapons the most at the moment. What i like about them is that they are the most common type of melee weapon in the game, and most of them are effective against almost every enemy in the game. On the other hand i mostly use cutting weapons to butcher corpses.

Early game my Melee weapon is whatever I can find, I tend to prefer ranged weapons. That said, late game? Late game I love me that Nodachi. XD

And that where blunt weapons shine is at the early game stage, as far as i know you already have access to 6+ melee weapons at the evac shelter, and most of them are bashing weapons. Late game their effectiveness are decreased.

Baseball Bat if I’m playing a melee character, only because it’s all I can find before getting murdered.

Brazier if I’m an archer, good damage plus there’s a reason to carry it around.

I usually make myself a nailboard right away and stick with it until I can make a nailbat. Machete’s are pretty fun to though.

I think the zweihander’s pretty awesome too. Plenty of the slower, bigger weapons get really handy combat maneuvers, which is awesome. Not really practical in the early game though.

I do have to wonder, though. What reason is there to carry around and wield a brazier specifically as an archer? That’s more something you stuff in your trunk/shopping cart until you need it.

Machete is pretty awesome and upgrades into a flaming machete pretty easily. A makeshift machete is also easily made with a lawnmower blade and some duct tape.

I’m new to this game so I don’t have much experience regarding what’s the “best” early melee, but the pointy stick hasn’t fail me through many early games. Easy to make, decent damage, fast attacks and (maybe?) crit fairly frequent. Also I can mass craft pointy sticks to act as crude javelins.

The nail board seems to be a nice weapon too, I think it’s slower than the pointy stick but do more damage. I could be wrong though as I haven’t used it much.

[quote=“infectedmochi, post:13, topic:3568”]I’m new to this game so I don’t have much experience regarding what’s the “best” early melee, but the pointy stick hasn’t fail me through many early games. Easy to make, decent damage, fast attacks and (maybe?) crit fairly frequent. Also I can mass craft pointy sticks to act as crude javelins.

The nail board seems to be a nice weapon too, I think it’s slower than the pointy stick but do more damage. I could be wrong though as I haven’t used it much.[/quote]

Pointy stick is … a bad weapon. the makeshift crowbar is better at early weapon, because of his speed and +2 to hit. You can make hit by smash a locker and pick a stone.
With a bit of skill you can also afford a wood spear or wooden javelin, pierce dommage is somewhat nice even if i don’t really know why. (well just avoid trying attack something in metal with this, like robot)

[quote=“infectedmochi, post:13, topic:3568”]I’m new to this game so I don’t have much experience regarding what’s the “best” early melee, but the pointy stick hasn’t fail me through many early games. Easy to make, decent damage, fast attacks and (maybe?) crit fairly frequent. Also I can mass craft pointy sticks to act as crude javelins.

The nail board seems to be a nice weapon too, I think it’s slower than the pointy stick but do more damage. I could be wrong though as I haven’t used it much.[/quote]
The martial arts tend to be absurdly useful, at beginning and even end game. It does take three points to use, though, so it’s usefulness is to be expected.

Barring this you can also build up to a knife spear. or a baseball bat, chain, maybe the two-by-sword lineup works well.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will try them all out for sure, especially the martial art things. :>

If you want to give a try with martial art, try krav manga, with a lot of strenght (lower dex/perc/int if needed)
Then wear clothe for your arm/leg, because you will block with both : less dommage at your torso/head (so you can fight way way longuer than usual fighter).

My favorite melee weapons, actually, are just the hammer and the wrench. They’re just fast enough that they get two attacks when fighting an enemy instead of one like the crowbar, and the fact that they specialize in bashing damage makes it so that you get more focused experience gains.

I am a massive fan of the butcher knife, although I say there should be a 0 to hit, the -3 is a bit ridiculous. I love starting as a chef just to get one… I unfortunately can’t do the bionic chef anymore… makes me a little sad.

For a very long time, I favored the baseball bat/nail bat. I’ve been branching out into edge weapons though, and usually find good success with a wood axe until I can get something better like a machete or a katana.