What's happening in YOUR randomly generated apocalypse? Part 2!

I wonder if this could be an area where superalloy could be put to some use, since it’s both light and strong would it be possible to apply it in some manner to increase structural integrity without substatially increasing weight? I’ll admit I’m about as far from an expert on large scale engineering projects as you can get so I’m a bit clueless if this could work.

2 Likes

It is absolutely the case that combining lighter materials with a higher strength will let you build larger structures.

There are still limits, but every time you manage to cut the weight or improve the strength of your materials you expand what is possible - like how the development of structural steel led to the advent of skyscrapers.

1 Like

On try number 4 or 5 of my slightly customized prison start scenario (no NPC buddy, jumpsuit instead of striped shirt/pants, no forced traits), I have made it out alive. Those 10 (I think) security bots are no joke. Eventually got out by luring three of them downstairs and getting them to chase sounds while staying just out of line of sight, until we got to the reinforced glass room where I could get them to spend all their ammunition on the glass. Then eventually enough of the others wandered to one side chasing reviving zombies for me to pick the locks on the side they weren’t guarding and slip out.

I found a working sports car right outside the gate!

3 Likes

Makes sense, I wonder how/if it could be implimented in game, it’d be nice to be able to shove a car out the way without having to replace a bunch of rams on larger vehicles.

1 Like

Drop a noisemaker in the front seat of the car you want removed and go loot nearby. The zombies should have it reduced to nothing by tomorrow morning.

Or, you know, high explosives if you’re in a hurry.

1 Like

I suppose it would be an acceptable use for all that c4 and stuff I’ve been looting but never use…
:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Just found a crashed Osprey with a small horde of Z scientists, soldiers and bio-operators milling about outside it.

They were nice enough to contribute a few sweet CBM’s to my growing collection (now if only I could find a hospital?), and the Osprey coughed up that last composite armor panel I’d been looking for, so now the little baby MkI deathmobile is finally ‘like new’ at last.

5 Likes

So Part 4 just got finished, nothing too important if you don’t like reading so much, but great if you like following the crude story of Manik I’ve put together so far…

Gonna be working on part five

2 Likes

I think my NPC friend Sebastian is a superhero.

He was almost dead when he agreed to travel with me. Down to light or dark red everywhere. Bandages didn’t seem to help, and he kept ticking down, hour by hour. I thought he was going to die overnight. I stayed with him and eventually fell asleep, expecting him to be crippled or dead by morning. But… in the morning he had started to recover! Now, a few days later he’s back at/near full.

I have a sword I want him to use. He won’t use it. “No, it’s punching zombies in the face or nothing for me, miss.” -Sebastian McNair 20XX.

2 Likes

Jackpot baby!!!

I knew saving those nanomaterial canisters would pay off eventually!!

2 Likes

Nice. Which mod is the nanofab from?

If it’s from a mod I honestly have no idea which, I play with quite a few active but I can give you a list if you want? It might just be rare, this is literally the first time I’ve ever found one.

I’m pretty sure its this one:

I just checked and I don’t think it is. I don’t have a mod by that name running.
edit:
here is a list of mods i’m running that adds content:

I encountered an “Incandescent Husk” near a hospital. The zombies have a habit of crowding together around things that make noise - magnified by Wander Spawns being enabled for this world.

The Husk, with its ambient field of electricity, took out about a hundred Zs for me while I sat back at a safe distance and ate chocolate covered pretzels.

(Maybe he should be programmed to want to move away from allies?)

2 Likes

Sebastian’s compulsion to punch zombies proved to be his undoing as he decided to run up and punch a pack of Spitter Zombies even though I was screaming at him to run away. So much for his Prime Intelligence.

2 Likes

Playing with wander spawns for the first time. I started as a punk rock dude in a public holdout and it was a mess. Fled immediately from the outside horde, too many special zombies to loot any houses so I fled along a trail to the evac shelter to try to get some standard start items- tough break there’s a migo right outside. Found a cave and subsisted in the woods for a day, and then got the luckiest break- an LMOE shelter right next to a 4 building town. All the in town zombies were piled up on a single wrecked bus. Looting in town I got an even luckier break- a fully stocked gun nut basement with more 9mm and shotgun shell than I’ll ever need AND a folding bike. After hunting dog meat to sate my hunger, I brought the pain- completely eliminated the small horde and cleared the town. Scavenging food is tough though, I’m far from most of the towns and the nearest ones been completely taken over by triffids. There’s another small village connected by wilderness trails, going to get together a shelter kit and build a looting base at the end to make supply runs back to my LMOE shelter.

5 Likes

Pine nuts are an easy way to keep yourself calorically-supplied until you get a line on better food sources.

Daring midnight raid by golf-cart through dozens of Zs re-animating all around me… all to recover Sebastian’s body. Rest easy, zombie-puncher.

6 Likes

Honorable, raise a glass to him for me.