Wells

A buildable water source, maybe even with naturally clean water.

It would should require a mininuke, and a deep pit. Because why not? Don’t want it to be easy to make.

It’ll be noisy as fuck to make, and limited in supply, 'tis definitely planned though.

So it would be a stationary water container? Can you make it gather water during rain?

If you don’t want to use a mini nuke, then a pneumatic drill will suffice.

it’s called a cistern and that’s actually a good idea, are you sure you’re really gtaguy?

I think troughs that fill when it rains would be better, the ability to dig wells anywhere seams a bit to powerful.

I was thinking a deep pit would probably reach stone, so a pneumatic drill would be needed to dig farther for a well. A cistern would also be good. Really if the well hit an aquifer (generated in the map codes) it would be a rather large amount, but then it may be contaminated (AKA: sewers built through it or acid rain deposits). But if its not connected to an aquifer then the water would be fine, but in limited supply.

Also acid rain… If we assume the well has a roofing then the rock around it would filter it.

I just had a though, if you dug down into an aquifer with a drill. You would probably die, unless you had a good swimming skill. (Crafting should take a rope, pnumatic drill, 4 2x4’s, and a good construction skill.

I don’t think aquifers work like that really, do they? Like… if you stick a hole in them they don’t just start leaking water like in DF.

Uhm, I would have thought that although catching rain is a nice option, you are likely to also be catching acid :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course catching acid is something I would like to make it easier to clean my pits.

No Ben, you are digging straight down. Into a large underground body of water, what about this doesn’t scream : Lolz you die now.

RE: catching rain/acid
Seems like an incentive to keep a routine of transferring rain catchers into a rain-proof cistern on a regular basis, to avoid the fouling of acid rain.
Also means that there needs to be a command to easily dump the contents of said catchers to remove the fouling after Acid Rains.
Personally, I think Acid Drizzles shouldn’t cause fouling over a short term. Yes, it causes a bad taste, but short of making it the only rain you drink, there’s few short or moderate term effects.

Now I have a mental image of:
acid drizzle starts
Oh no! The cistern!
runs outside to empty cistern into jerrycans in the rain
fights off random pack of wolves that attack out of nowhere
fills a few jerrycans
rain stops
Stupid weather!
goes back inside to read/craft/whatever
acid drizzle starts

The typical approach for fouling the water would be to have a chance of the water in the cistern being fouled somehow each turn it’s exposed to acid rain, and the probability would be adjusted by the volume of water in the cistern and whether it’s a drizzle or a full rain.

Might go water -> tainted water(tastes bad, less thirst recovery) -> weak acid -> acid (-> strong acid)?

Now I was thinking of some kind of trough dug into the ground, they would interconnect and collect water.

This would be a give/take thing: more water during rain with more troughs, but more shit to cover over during acid rains. (Build able cover for it)

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:12, topic:66”]Now I have a mental image of:
acid drizzle starts
Oh no! The cistern!
runs outside to empty cistern into jerrycans in the rain
fights off random pack of wolves that attack out of nowhere
fills a few jerrycans
rain stops
Stupid weather!
goes back inside to read/craft/whatever
acid drizzle starts

The typical approach for fouling the water would be to have a chance of the water in the cistern being fouled somehow each turn it’s exposed to acid rain, and the probability would be adjusted by the volume of water in the cistern and whether it’s a drizzle or a full rain.

Might go water -> tainted water(tastes bad, less thirst recovery) -> weak acid -> acid (-> strong acid)?[/quote]

A cistern full of acid? What possible benefits could there be to such a thing?! :smiley:

well, for one, acid-moats.
secondly, acidthrowers, acidblasters, or just a thrown glass bottle of acid.

Weaponised Acid? What could go wrong.

But seriously, game needs glass jerrycans and my ideas above.

You can already make acidbombs, (from batteries right now, because I couldn’t be bothered making a better recipe yet).

Mainly added them to facilitate easier cleanup of trenches and whatnot after combat.

But then we need to make the amount of water from puddles limited.