Wells

I’m sure this has been posted before as an idea I honestly am not sure, if so can someone send me a link but the biggest issues currently hear about from friends and for myself is water sources.

The games sources are limited and dangerous it makes creating a survival LMOE shelter of your own almost impossible, sure you can run trips to fill your massive tanks but why not have an infinite source of water on hand?

With the game taking place in the New England area where the real water table is very high and most people can easily dig wells that can supply 10,000gph within 100 feet of ground level its not inaccurate to think in a world as immersive as this that you cant create a basic drill and dig that yourself. The game has most the components needed already let’s assume a well is 30ft which isn’t unreasonable to think you would start pulling water at that depth.

To dig the well you’d need 30 ft of piping welded together which you can do as you drill farther down, the drill head would need to be added to the game, you can use one of the games many car engines and scrap metal with leather scraps to create the whole drill and once the hole has been dug use stones to create the wells base. use a pot for the bucket 30ft rope as the cable to raise and lower the bucket, the hand crank to haul up water and three or more two by fours to create the stand for the water hauling mechanism.

It would give a permanent fix to the water issue and allow people to create bases nearly anywhere. Of course the water would be dirty and still need to be purified, with all that leek into the ground water these days most close to the surface water tables or dirty anyways and need to be boiled before drinking even in real life.

Yes it has been posted before.

Yes, there are more pressing matters at hand.

No idea what the issues with coding will be though.

Sounds like you can just add it to the construction menu and add all those ingredients/tools to the list.

But ofc theres some kind of code needed to prevent you from making wells on slime pits or subways.

And then theres z-level logics.

I’m gonna take a look at the code and see how difficult it would be to add it to the game. The biggest issue is gonna be adding a water table and see how I could do that without it affecting other underground structures.

I like the idea.

New rock type?

Aquifers are often breached and have tunnels run through them. After they are breached they refill with rains. So I doubt any serious hard coding besides new map tiles.

If you just want to add a “well” that produces water without actually dealing with water table stuff that would probably work as well, and would be fairly easy to add.

So the well idea was scrapped out right apparently Granade doesn’t want ground water to be in the game at all and will not implement it.

Apparently the zombie virus was spread through ground water and your just some lucky son of a who didn’t drink any tap water or ground water which is why your not apart of the walking dead. Does not explain why toilet water is good though.

Where does he say he doesn’t want wells?

It was about six months ago in developer chat

SIX MONTHS AGO

SIX MONTHS AGO

He says.

[quote=“tdjellyman, post:8, topic:5122”]So the well idea was scrapped out right apparently Granade doesn’t want ground water to be in the game at all and will not implement it.

Apparently the zombie virus was spread through ground water and your just some lucky son of a who didn’t drink any tap water or ground water which is why your not apart of the walking dead. Does not explain why toilet water is good though.

Massive spoilerz.

Actually, you’re already infected by day one. The goo only zombifies post-mortem.

Anyway, I support this.
I’m thinking ground water and aquifers would be hard to implement properly until we have Z-levels and would be a bit superfluous right now.
That said, a well using the water_source flag should be good enough for now.
Perhaps some way make them run out after a few uses and refill every few days to simulate ground water refilling it.
Also sewer and well monsters. Ever see the ring?
貞子 スパ カワイイ デス~♥★

The idea has actually been tossed around before. Neither he nor any of the other developers has expressed any opposition to the idea.

[spoiler]

And as Iosyn said before me, you’re already infected and there’s nothing you can do about it.[/spoiler]

The big thing you do have to be careful with is commonality though, notable because a well would be the same as a river, an endless source of water. Also it wouldn’t be purified clean water that you got out of it (probably slightly better than river water). After we get working power systems it would probably tie into that, since most wells probably run off electric pumps.

As I wrote originally the idea I was thinking was old school crank and bucket on a rope hauling water. As far as water refilling it daily, a single person would not be able to drain a well in one day, maybe for game purposes you can implement a max level of water drawn in any given amount of time for difficulty purposes.

If you just tether the rope you don’t even need that, just stand over the well and pull it up with your hands.

Of course that’s what comes to mind first, but when was the last time you actually saw one of those in east coast america? Most modern wells look something like this:

even if you have an old fashioned open top well you definitely want a crank, or at the very least a pulley; even just a horizontal bar positioned over the well helps a lot. on one of my visits to a historical reenactment farm i tried pulling a full bucket of water out of the well with no crank or anything. Christ, was it hard, i damn near threw my back out. now imagine having to do that a dozen times a day. no thanks.

A normal bucketful is around 3.785 litres, unless you are in the Sahara desert you ain’t going to need much more then that.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:19, topic:5122”]A normal bucketful is around 3.785 litres, unless you are in the Sahara desert you ain’t going to need much more then that.[/quote]i disagree.

think of all the things you do all day that require water. bathing, cooking, drinking. now consider that this is the zombie apocalypse, and all the things you did with your garden hose you now have to do with water from your well: coolant for your vehicle, water for your garden and/or animals, as well as other things like washing zed guts off of your equipment and vehicle, not to mention keeping your fire barrels full, and tons of other things.

so yeah, minimizing required muscle power for retrieving water would be a priority.