Welding

I think welding is under addressed in this game, seeing how it is needed for car building. I know the subject of welding rods has been acted upon and is being fixed. But, a welder does not simply run off of batteries, they require large amounts of power. so how about we get a larger energy source than batteries, fuel cells may be? and, how about a variety of welding rods like 6010, 7018, 8010, 6013, etc.
and a welding skill by itself would be more realistic, because one does not simply pick up a welding rod, welder, and then weld.

just take it with a grain of salt

Edit:
Also, I think you should have to wear a welding hood or go blind temporarily, which then could lead to permanent blindness.

Maybe the player can substitue car batteries in place of house double AA type batteries. It is possible to do so as far as I know. It would even enable people who automobiles to have a bit more insurance with wepders and on the spot fixes.

As for welding being a skill you can’t gain from reading books, this is mostly true, but then again most of the other skills the character possess through book reading isn’t exactly entirely book smarts either. Much of the survival skills, cooking, chem, unarmed combat, and basically everything but computers, but even that arguably has some components where experience helps a great deal.

I don’t know, maybe neurobionics that help peopple learn at an accelerated pace and provide some experience simply by reading are wide spread. Wouldn’t be too out of place in the setting.

[quote=“Flare, post:2, topic:673”]Maybe the player can substitue car batteries in place of house double AA type batteries. It is possible to do so as far as I know. It would even enable people who automobiles to have a bit more insurance with wepders and on the spot fixes.

As for welding being a skill you can’t gain from reading books, this is mostly true, but then again most of the other skills the character possess through book reading isn’t exactly entirely book smarts either. Much of the survival skills, cooking, chem, unarmed combat, and basically everything but computers, but even that arguably has some components where experience helps a great deal.

I don’t know, maybe neurobionics that help peopple learn at an accelerated pace and provide some experience simply by reading are wide spread. Wouldn’t be too out of place in the setting.[/quote]

You would need 3+ car batteries just to properly arc-weld with rods.

Hehehe, an extra bonus to people who use solar panels :D.

Still don’t think it could provide enough amps, but would help. Also when I was at work today, I burnt a rod up and accidentally inhaled the smoke, made me incredibly light headed. This should be a feature if you do not have enough skill, it could knock you out.

Well to be fair, the tech in the game does seem a little bit further ahead of what we have now, at least for the mundane things. They even achieved standardized batteries, and their solar panels or engines seem more efficient than what we have now. Perhaps their welding methods have also seem a bit of teching. A lot more energy efficient, no need for wasted energy turned into blinding light, and only needs a few batteries.

It’s the future?

[size=24pt]Seems legit.[/size]

Ahahahaha, Welding with less blinding light?
NOPE

The light is created by an arc of electricity, Welding without the arc of electricity is near impossible. The arc of electricity is what melts the metal rod to fill and/or bind pieces of metal, So good luck without it. Also, solar panels will never provide the amps required to weld unless the solar panel in question is the size of a bus.

[quote=“Vexification, post:8, topic:673”]Ahahahaha, Welding with less blinding light?
NOPE[/quote]

Don’t you think this is a bit immature? I don’t think there’s any need to ridicule someone because their knowledge in a specified field is lacking.

The light is created by an arc of electricity, Welding without the arc of electricity is near impossible.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always thought that the light was from the metal being heated up to several thousand degrees, not from the electric arc. Which is why people using gas, or laser welding also need eye protection (and also makes it such that welding with any sort of melting of metal requiring eye protection).

The arc of electricity is what melts the metal rod to fill and/or bind pieces of metal, So good luck without it. Also, solar panels will never provide the amps required to weld unless the solar panel in question is the size of a bus.

Don’t you put the rod right up against the metal bits that you’re welding? I don’t actually think there’s any room for the electricity to arc through the air when you’re applying solder to the joints.

In any case, I think what we need to take into consideration is the setting these things are in, and whether they are consistent within this setting rather than the real world in which the setting takes influences from. From the stand point of a solar panel no wider than someone’s shoulders are wide able to power an electric motor, I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch for their solar panels being able to power a welder. Either their solar panels are very efficient, or their engines are super efficient as are their welders as well.

As for a lack of light in welding, there’s always ultrasonic welding.

Other ways to solve the problem of light is to have a shield mounted right on the welder itself.

[quote=“Flare, post:9, topic:673”][spoiler][quote=“Vexification, post:8, topic:673”]Ahahahaha, Welding with less blinding light?
NOPE[/quote]

Don’t you think this is a bit immature? I don’t think there’s any need to ridicule someone because their knowledge in a specified field is lacking.

The light is created by an arc of electricity, Welding without the arc of electricity is near impossible.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always thought that the light was from the metal being heated up to several thousand degrees, not from the electric arc. Which is why people using gas, or laser welding also need eye protection (and also makes it such that welding with any sort of melting of metal requiring eye protection).

The arc of electricity is what melts the metal rod to fill and/or bind pieces of metal, So good luck without it. Also, solar panels will never provide the amps required to weld unless the solar panel in question is the size of a bus.

Don’t you put the rod right up against the metal bits that you’re welding? I don’t actually think there’s any room for the electricity to arc through the air when you’re applying solder to the joints.

In any case, I think what we need to take into consideration is the setting these things are in, and whether they are consistent within this setting rather than the real world in which the setting takes influences from. From the stand point of a solar panel no wider than someone’s shoulders are wide able to power an electric motor, I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch for their solar panels being able to power a welder. Either their solar panels are very efficient, or their engines are super efficient as are their welders as well.

As for a lack of light in welding, there’s always ultrasonic welding.

Other ways to solve the problem of light is to have a shield mounted right on the welder itself.[/spoiler][/quote]

Ultrasonic welding is for plastics and similar materials. The shield on the welder itself is a interesting idea, but a bit unrealistic because you still need to see where you are putting the rod.
The reason laser welding needs shields is because the laser itself causing severe UV burn on the cornea without it.
Also, I do not hold the rod right up against the metal, for I do not want the rod getting stuck. The slightest tap could fuse the whole rod and the metal together. Then you have to break the rod off. Soldering and Welding are different things.

You might want to read this: How to Arc Weld (with Pictures) - wikiHow
and this: 4 Ways to Weld - wikiHow
and this: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/smaw-stick-arc-welding-tips-techniques/

Educate yourself before commenting on a field where your knowledge is lacking.

Edit: sorry if I came off a bit harsh.

Is that ouch because it costs 200$ or ouch because it hurts ;D?

Are you saying that the shield might get in the way because it’s on top and welders often have the beaked nose pointing downwards? Or that you have to shift your head around to look past the shield every so often?

Maybe it the shield could be adjustable when mounted on the welder, and there could be a lever on those that have it built in that flicks the shield up when you push it. What really put me off welding in high school was just how much stop and go it was. Every so often I would have to stop what I was doing and lift up my eye protection to see what where in the world I was splattering all the solder. Those heavy duty gloves and the position I tended to do welding in didn’t help the pace.

[quote=“Flare, post:11, topic:673”]Is that ouch because it costs 200$ or ouch because it hurts ;D?

Are you saying that the shield might get in the way because it’s on top and welders often have the beaked nose pointing downwards? Or that you have to shift your head around to look past the shield every so often?

Maybe it the shield could be adjustable when mounted on the welder, and there could be a lever on those that have it built in that flicks the shield up when you push it. What really put me off welding in high school was just how much stop and go it was. Every so often I would have to stop what I was doing and lift up my eye protection to see what where in the world I was splattering all the solder. Those heavy duty gloves and the position I tended to do welding in didn’t help the pace.[/quote]

Its a unhealable sunburn on the eye. It would hurt.

Making the player require a welding hood seems good, the power issue is something that will be addressed when we have a system for actual power, so welders won’t be something you carry around in your pocket. Welding rods are planned too, we’ve just not got around to adding them. The mechanics skill can be assumed to contain welding already, it’s not strictly realistic that taking apart a bunch of lawnmowers makes you good at welding, but skills in general have that problem.

Reading over the links now, but overall this is good stuff, if we can add more realism without taking away from gameplay, I’m all for it.

Don’t forget uv burns from welding!
Make the player have to wear full body clothing to prevent burns.
Also have a random chance of a nice hot spark going into their shoe.

There should be smaller welders for little jobs like minor repairs which can be moved, and huge welders for frame construction that cannot be moved.
I have welded with a stick welder and I can say it is quite easy, with modern technology such as auto tinting masks I found it quite easy and little trouble picking up on welding, the hardest part about it is getting an ark going without sticking the rod to the job.Especially for the low current portable welder I was using.

Welding hoods also seem like they could be really good gear to protect the eyes and head. Sure, they’d be extremely encumbering, but it’s a nice option to have. I’m all for it.

Question: would an integrated toolset also require a welding hood? My gut says that such a high-tech solution to the problem should not be subjected to the same restrictions as regular welding. I mean, the mad future scientists who managed to create an implant capable of welding without much assistance other than a few shots of vodka must have been able to come up with a welding solution capable of not blinding it’s user, no? Otherwise it seems like it’s a pretty inherently dangerous implant to have. ''Hey, what does this command d----- AH MY RETINAS!!"

[quote=“Tankra, post:15, topic:673”]Welding hoods also seem like they could be really good gear to protect the eyes and head. Sure, they’d be extremely encumbering, but it’s a nice option to have. I’m all for it.

Question: would an integrated toolset also require a welding hood? My gut says that such a high-tech solution to the problem should not be subjected to the same restrictions as regular welding. I mean, the mad future scientists who managed to create an implant capable of welding without much assistance other than a few shots of vodka must have been able to come up with a welding solution capable of not blinding it’s user, no? Otherwise it seems like it’s a pretty inherently dangerous implant to have. ''Hey, what does this command d----- AH MY RETINAS!!"[/quote]

Or a integrated welding hood, that keeps your eyes from burning out.

Or just get mechanical eyes. Permanently installing a welding hood to one’s skull seems a little burdensome.

On the whole eye-protection thing, there are “welding goggles” in-game already. Not the most common things, granted, but my 02Feb character has a pair. Now, having to use them to weld my Car’s, uh, windshield (not kidding) back together using the Integrated Toolset, I’d object.

Please … No.
I do not believe it is necessary to inject the mundanity of every detail of a hobby or profession into the crafting system. If I want to play ‘Cataclysm-DDA:The Dawn of Welding’ then I would support you wholeheartedly.