(Request) Make Transition Lenses count as welding goggles

The Integrated Toolkit frees you from dependance on carrying tools around when you want to do spot work - except that you can’t using the welder function properly without carrying a set of welding goggles at all times. This disrupts the theme of the CBM a bit,
Given that Transition Lenses are self-darkening lenses over the eyes (and they go dark enough to protect from flashbangs), why not make them count as welding goggles for the purposes of crafting / vehicle modification?

A welding mask or googles sheilds 20 times more light than a pair of transitions would. Im not trying to sound like a dick by saying that i just know from experience

When you look at a welding bead without proper protection you get flash, which basiclly is like a sunburn on your eyes. Welding googles and masks have light detecors on them that sense how much light there is in a room and darken to adjust for it, while at first glance this sounds exactly like a pair of transition lenses and to a sense they are, but they are muuuuuch more powerful. When your welding the mask/googles turn nearly pitch black where as a pair of transition lenses only darken about as much as a pair of sunglasses

Simply put a pair of transition lenses arnt nearly strong enough to sheild your eyes from the amount of light a welder gives off. And if you dont believe me head down to an autoshop and take a look at one in action.

He means the CBM, which are much, much better than regular transition glasses you see.

Meeeeeeeh idk i wouldnt trust it…i mean yeah its future tech and stuff but i would still wear a mask, flash is one of the most painful things ever so id be very leary with something like that

…CBM Upgrades?

[quote=“therealskitz0, post:2, topic:4689”]A welding mask or googles sheilds 20 times more light than a pair of transitions would. Im not trying to sound like a dick by saying that i just know from experience

When you look at a welding bead without proper protection you get flash, which basiclly is like a sunburn on your eyes. Welding googles and masks have light detecors on them that sense how much light there is in a room and darken to adjust for it, while at first glance this sounds exactly like a pair of transition lenses and to a sense they are, but they are muuuuuch more powerful. When your welding the mask/googles turn nearly pitch black where as a pair of transition lenses only darken about as much as a pair of sunglasses

Simply put a pair of transition lenses arnt nearly strong enough to sheild your eyes from the amount of light a welder gives off. And if you dont believe me head down to an autoshop and take a look at one in action.[/quote]

I’ve used a welding shield and agree they are nothing like the transition lenses you wear on your face today.
However the military-grade bionic that the game refers to as ‘Transition Lenses’ is a completely different animal. Given that they go dark enough to provide protection from flashbangs I think they could handle welding as well.

it’s not only the eyes that need protection. I’ve been around welders enough to see firsthand what a welding arc does to an unprotected face.

Not gonna ask. Then the welding goggles are useless, then? We need a full face shield?

well when im using a plasma cutter i wear googles because the light from it isnt as strong as a welder so theyre not entirely useless, but i do agree a full welding mask is needed. Otherwise you should take stat penelties or damage bodyparts like standing too close to a fire

Hmm. I’ve seen clear and dark versions of those. I guess the clear version can be used as armor then!

If they get added, anyway.

I’d cast my vote for making this go in, if it hasn’t been already.

I’m somewhat torn on this. On the one hand, the description of the transitions lens CBM says it can stand up to flash bangs, which suggests it can handle very bright sources of light. However, a brief burst like a flash bang is not the same as a continuous light source like a welder. If the lenses work similar to flare compensators in Shadowrun, for example (which just black out when a hazardous flash is detected), they would not be suitable for welding.
On the other hand, the mere fact that this is a CBM, and must be surgically implanted to function, infers a very high manufacturing standard and it is logical that every effort was made to ensure such an expensive product was as durable (and effective) as was scientifically possible. You don’t saw open your face to install junk. In addition, the existence of the integrated toolset, and it’s ability to perform welding, would lead me to infer this problem had been recognized in the development stage, and would certainly have been addressed somehow. The whole point of bionics is utility, and it seems odd that a company would manufacture a product that lets a person perform heavy welding with their bare hands (the toolset), yet still require them to carry additional equipment to use it.
My thought is, let the lens CBM be used for welding, and adjust the name and description to something more powerful-sounding. If not, then add a new eye CBM that is designed for welding specifically, but that feels needlessly redundant to me.

[quote=“Natures Witness, post:12, topic:4689”]I’m somewhat torn on this. On the one hand, the description of the transitions lens CBM says it can stand up to flash bangs, which suggests it can handle very bright sources of light. However, a brief burst like a flash bang is not the same as a continuous light source like a welder. If the lenses work similar to flare compensators in Shadowrun, for example (which just black out when a hazardous flash is detected), they would not be suitable for welding.
On the other hand, the mere fact that this is a CBM, and must be surgically implanted to function, infers a very high manufacturing standard and it is logical that every effort was made to ensure such an expensive product was as durable (and effective) as was scientifically possible. You don’t saw open your face to install junk. In addition, the existence of the integrated toolset, and it’s ability to perform welding, would lead me to infer this problem had been recognized in the development stage, and would certainly have been addressed somehow. The whole point of bionics is utility, and it seems odd that a company would manufacture a product that lets a person perform heavy welding with their bare hands (the toolset), yet still require them to carry additional equipment to use it.
My thought is, let the lens CBM be used for welding, and adjust the name and description to something more powerful-sounding. If not, then add a new eye CBM that is designed for welding specifically, but that feels needlessly redundant to me.[/quote]

On it.

From what I can tell, Rivet already handled this as regards vehicles. And now it’s PR’d for crafting.

[quote=“KA101, post:13, topic:4689”]On it.

From what I can tell, Rivet already handled this as regards vehicles. And now it’s PR’d for crafting.[/quote]

Crafting is in, thank you.
But it still needs to be done for Disassembly :slight_smile:

[quote=“The Lone Badger, post:14, topic:4689”][quote=“KA101, post:13, topic:4689”]On it.

From what I can tell, Rivet already handled this as regards vehicles. And now it’s PR’d for crafting.[/quote]

Crafting is in, thank you.
But it still needs to be done for Disassembly :)[/quote]

Can’t imagine why one would need goggles to use a hacksaw, oddly enough–if recipes call for a welder, disassembly calls for a hacksaw or integrated toolset, last I knew. Easy enough to copy the language down a notch.

Disassembling car bits (steel plating, frames etc) into lumps of steel involves melting them down with a welder and crucible.

welders arnt like blow torches, they use electric arcs to melt small sections of metal and use a small filler wire to ensure the two molten sections of metal are fused. if you want to melt down a section of a steel frame youd need an electric forge rather than a welder but when i think of a lump of steel in cata i think of just a small piece of steel cut from a girder or just a large hunk of metal ripped from a car or building

I’m just reporting what’s in the game.

As was and am I. I’ll nail the crucible requirement. (To be clear: except for the anvil, all recipes that both require a crucible and are reversible also require a welder, so presuming hacksaw used to chop the frames, etc down, and I’ll presume that the character gets that hacksawing done well to take apart the anvil. I’m not about to special-case the code for one item tonight.)