Ways to get free publicity for Cataclysm

Now that we have a mod manager and extensive Json support, I think we can get a massive increase in content. I think this can be helped by increasing the publicity of Cataclysm DDA. Lets brainstorm free ways to get the word out more. This is something that NON-developers should do. Based on Kevin Granades and others commits in github… they are spending a massive amount of time here. The game is open source so the more people we get here, the more new features there will be. It also makes the community alot more fun.

Some ideas

1. lets decide on a few of the more well known Youtubers who make Lets Play games and as a group ask them to try out cataclysm DDA. These guys earn alot of money off of lets play videos, so we would need to convince them that they will get enough hits to make it worth while. My favorite is Quill18. I emailed him once and did not get a response. He does an outstanding lets play. We are probably not big enough for him.

I know we have lots of ‘lets play’, but there are people who get alot more traffic than others.

1. Indy game sites that go beyond roguelike games. Any suggestions?

2. any other sites we can make press releases to?

One problem with that.

If people discover the forums, there are going to be a few assholes coming here, and if they know how to code, they may become a LC.

Also:[quote=“youtoo, post:1, topic:5350”]My favorite is Quill18. I emailed him once and did not get a response. He does an outstanding lets play. We are probably not big enough for him.[/quote]
You emailed him once, and he apparently plays strategy games. If he read your email, he probably looked at the game and decided that it didn’t look good, and assumed that you just wanted him to play it, and not many others would.

I used a really large amount of commas in those sentences.

Let me clarify. I don’t want to harrass anyone. I just stated that Quill18 is my favorite. There are others. There are alot of Cataclysm lets plays out there,but the hits are pretty low. If we can get someone who has a following to do some, we can get more people to try out the game.

Your point about a few assholes makes no sense. I don’t see the point in not telling people about the game because some bad apples can come. They have been banned before and can be banned again.

This is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.

We could have a plane tow a Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead banner.

YouToo’s ideas are… something else.

[abbr=Hmm wait a sec, am I speaking about inadequate’s post or mine?]This is the most inconsequential post ever.

For some reason I want to punch you in the face.
Not even because of that post, I just want to punch you.

Then again, I want to punch most people.

I know this youtuber that only uploads CoD and Minecraft, xXx_360noscoper420w33dsnipermasterswagyolodogemasterminecraft_xXx. ill tell him to play the game and make a video about it so we get a few more newbies around the forums making a whole new post everytime they want to know how to open the inventory

Now seriously, ask people who upload rpgs and roguelikes (and the likes) instead of asking people who upload strategy games or other stuff

Jefmajor was doing a serieson this before shit hit the fan and he went into an Urgent Care center for a month and THEN found out his dad was dying soon as he got out.

Then again, I want to punch most people.[/quote]Personally I prefer shooting people, but, whatever floats your boat.

Then again, I want to punch most people.[/quote]Personally I prefer shooting people, but, whatever floats your boat.[/quote]
Try finding a gun store in the UK.
Now, if you can, try getting a gun without the excuse of being a farmer or another actual reason to own one.
Realize that knifes and fists are easier, and get into a barfight.
Promptly get kicked in the face by a guy with a horseshoe mustache and a leather jacket and go to hospital.

You really ought to consider moving over here :slight_smile:

why dont you make your own LP? i used to keep a journal on blogger when i first started playing but mostly cuz i didnt know wtf was going on, i still keep journals of dwarf fortress when i do get the inclination to play. that was really more for myself though… and kind of off topic i suppose

i put a paper up in the engineering classroom at my school directed at the beginner programming students with a link to the main site and DF site, as well as roguebasin, and the inscription “release the oppressive shackles of the 3D skinner box” but more for them than for us. it was also kinda subtly placed among the bulletin board. i also tell anyone who will bare to socialize with me, and might seem interested in gaming, about it.

like the facebook page and talk about it. your friends see that and whatnot. do LP’s and blogs or whatever, idk. how do most client-downloaded indie pc games become popular these days? and does being popular necessarily mean the game will develop faster or even better, let alone at all? the development process these guys have going may become stressed under a huge influx of potentially amateur or nefarious or just plain stupid commits… expansion is always good but we already have a pretty good thing going, and the guys just released a pretty solid update too, which will pave the way for newer and better features and content soon enough. besides, the current dev team seems to have a good idea of the future direction of the game and it would suck to see them torn apart (the ideas not the dev team hehe) from creative differences.

any new programmers should probably be working to support and supplement the current team, and not trying to think-tank a feature creep time bomb, AFAIK? though feel free to correct me on that, devs…

tldr; enjoy it for what it is right now this game fucking rules

PS mrnocamera’s assertion that assholes will come is sound by rule 137: the more popular something is, the more people will hate it just for being popular, which is proportional to the square of popularity.
i.e. if justin bieber was open source, he would be a dead man

Jefmajor will probably end up doing more cataclysm when he comes back, he already has some youtube stuff up as well as streaming it a few times. Revocane seems willing to play anything with zombies in and streams alot. Quill isnt a bad idea, but he is fairly popular so I dont know how you would go about approaching him politely. ChristonianA will do a lets play of just about any indie that comes out. 2 other workable options that come to mind are finding anyone who has done decent letsplays of older versions and hitting them up with some of the recent changes like tilesets (as stated there are more than a few lets plays out there already). Or you could find other people doing letsplays of similar games (like Mathasgames and his 100s of project zomboid vids) and hitting them up. A writeup on a games site that isnt COD friendly like RPS would probably turbo charge things a bit, but again, I have no idea how you would go about actually setting something like that up.

Eh, nothing wrong with trying to drum up some interest, I cant see how trying to expand the playerbase would be a bad thing. No reason to go all crab bucket.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any very rough numbers on the amount of players we have?

I got into this game because of a Let’s Player wayyyy back when Whales still made it. Forgot about it a while back, and then got interested in it again when JefMajor uploaded a video about Dark Days Ahead.

However, I don’t think YT has that much interest in Roguelikes, not enough to make Cataclysm more popular. Besides, I honestly don’t want to watch some bumblefuck stupor through the game with bad commentary and even worse gameplay. But that’s just my opinion, I can’t watch any videos with Cataclysm anymore since I’d rather just play it myself.

I’m with Frank, I only watch LPs of games my machine can’t handle. I love me a good Day Z LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fskbbl2LnU
There you go, upvote that one. Zenmalf has done a few cataclysm LPs and has a nifty accent.

Frank, do you realise the 2 paragraphs you wrote contradict each other?

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:18, topic:5350”]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fskbbl2LnU
There you go, upvote that one. Zenmalf has done a few cataclysm LPs and has a nifty accent.

Frank, do you realise the 2 paragraphs you wrote contradict each other?[/quote]
You’re right, they do. The first paragraph was supposed to be in a past tense sense, while the latter was present tense :stuck_out_tongue:

The way I found this game was through jefmajor. I was watching some of his Dorf Fort videos and saw he had another playlist called “Dark Days Ahead” with an @ sign as the thumbnail. I thought it was some kind of DF mod so I checked it out. Several months and lots of trial and error later and now most of my friends think I’m crazy for liking a game with letters for graphics.

I didn’t like the concept of roguelikes at first, but I soon realised that this was basically for me the best Post-apocalyptic RPG ever.

I fully support giving this game more publicity.