Vehicle rain catch?

Is there any method currently of routing rainwater from a vehicles roof to an installed water tank? if not, what do you guys think of that? I’m rocking a 5x11 RV right now and it would be nice if my abundant unused roof could be used this way.

I’d PR one long ago, but there are 3 problems:

[ul][li]Water tank contains clean water. Rainwater isn’t clean. All water-related vehicle parts support only clean water at the moment.[/li]
[li]Vehicles don’t support retroactive rain collection like funnels do, meaning it would only work when you’re near (and in some other, highly metagame-related cases).[/li]
[li]It would conflict with the possibility of returning acid rains to the game until generic liquid tanks were implemented.[/li][/ul]

It’s all mostly waiting for generic liquid tanks. Generic tanks were requested a number of times and thus are likely to get in (as in “someone is likely to want to do it” - possibly me).
Once they do get implemented, two of the problems above would be solved and thus vehicle funnels would be easy to add.

Have the part be made out of a couple of metal tanks, pipes, heating elements, some circuitry, powered by car batteries, so that it’s explainable why it can produce clean water. As for lack of retroactive treatment of vehicles, couldn’t that be done in a similar manner to how it’s done for funnels? Also, the acid rain problem is identical here as it is with existing funnels if the tank isn’t empty, and it almost never is. Besides, aren’t they pretty unlikely to return?

Nope. The acid rain problem with trap-type funnels is much simpler, because you can just replace the contents of the tank under the funnel. You can’t do it with clean water tanks, because they can only store clean water. With generic liquids, the tank’s contents could be replaced with acid water, like with regular funnels.
From what I heard, acid rain is planned to return - it got cut out due to weather becoming a local thing, not because it was bad.

Yeah, I thought about a separate car part out of water purifier+funnel. It would be kinda weird to cover your entire roof in water purifiers, though. It should be one purifier and many funnels.
There could also be car funnels that only work when the car also has a purifier. But it would look bad to have funnels that can only produce water when it can be purified.

There could also be a dirty water tank as a separate part, but then the water would require a separate faucet flag and part, just for the dirty water. This would probably be the least ugly one on the outside, but it would cause problems with water cannons later on (water and clean water would have to be different types of ammo).

As for retroactive - I don’t actually know how hard it would be to implement. It could be trivial, it could be problematic. Implementing it would benefit solars (they’d start working independently from the reality bubble), so it is generally a good idea - if it can be done easily.

It’s not that it’s undoable or anything, it’s just that implementing it right now could cause more problems than implementing it a bit later on.

If they bring back acid rain, I hope they give us a way to get acid out of the water, and also take into account the balance of acid to water in determining whether the water is actually too acidic to drink or use. It seemed, back in 0.A, that one unit of acid rain added to 14 units of water rendered the water useless.

I’d love to see some way (there might already be one) of using a basic substance to bind to the acid, and perhaps leave behind a product that could be used in some other way.

[quote=“mdtexeira, post:5, topic:8559”]If they bring back acid rain, I hope they give us a way to get acid out of the water, and also take into account the balance of acid to water in determining whether the water is actually too acidic to drink or use. It seemed, back in 0.A, that one unit of acid rain added to 14 units of water rendered the water useless.

I’d love to see some way (there might already be one) of using a basic substance to bind to the acid, and perhaps leave behind a product that could be used in some other way.[/quote]Isn’t there a chemical crafting recipe for that already or am i mistaken?

You’re close - acid rain got cut out until weather becomes a local thing.

[quote=“mdtexeira, post:5, topic:8559”]If they bring back acid rain, I hope they give us a way to get acid out of the water, and also take into account the balance of acid to water in determining whether the water is actually too acidic to drink or use. It seemed, back in 0.A, that one unit of acid rain added to 14 units of water rendered the water useless.

I’d love to see some way (there might already be one) of using a basic substance to bind to the acid, and perhaps leave behind a product that could be used in some other way.[/quote]

What about using the existing item ‘limestone shards’ to neutralize the acid water? if could leave behind an acidic paste or something.

Generally, adding a base to neutralize an acid creates salts. Depending on what chemicals you use (sodium hydroxide, so probably lye powder), you can get actual sodium chloride/table salt. Sadly, acid rain is not hydrochloric in nature, it is typically sulphuric - then again that was due to immense pressures from traffic exhaust, so I don’t know WHAT the hell that stuff in the sky was.

Either way, the byproduct might actually be weak saltwater. Distillation/boiling could then separate the two. I am speaking of someone who has not checked game recipes for existing content regarding saltwater.

I don’t like a single drop of acid water converting an entire, possibly 20L container half-full of water into acid water. Also, yeah, there isn’t anything to make the rain acidic anymore, especially not that strongly. I’m firmly against adding acid rain back in. Snow, hail, sure, but acid rain sounds horrid both in that it does crap to enjoyment and in that it makes little sense.

I think the idea was that weather was planned to get really weird in map chunks where a nether portal was present - suggesting the weather was foreign in nature and thus a lot less illogical. You can see how local-ness of weather might have been involved in it’s removal.

Ah, that makes much more sense.

Don’t forget that acid rain isn’t literally acid, it’s “liquid falling from the sky that burns your skin”.

But we could use it to craft batterie so it had similiar properties?

Honestly, we’re crafting futuretech batteries out of the same materials used nowadays, except, instead of a highly efficient industrial process, we’ve just instead got a survivor smashing lead plates together. Personally, I don’t think that vehicle batteries should have anything to do with lead and acid. They’re made of mysterious futuretech that is beyond a survivor’s reach.

Okay but then we can still craft normal batteries that will also provide energy like super future batteries just retro stile.
And i think we can t craft storage batteries …can we?

We can’t… But its slightly nonsensical since we can craft a battery of 50000 charges (truck) but not 100000 (storage).
The difference between the two is not that great.

[quote=“jcd, post:17, topic:8559”]We can’t… But its slightly nonsensical since we can craft a battery of 50000 charges (truck) but not 100000 (storage).
The difference between the two is not that great.[/quote]
The truck battery is bigger and heavier… but most ppl don’t care if they install it in their vehicle