Acid Rain, Vehicles and Roofs

Sorry if this has been brought up, I’m new here.

I didn’t include a screenshot or save as it seems easily replicable, I’m running 0.4.

So, I’m sleeping in the back of my Semi-Truck (which is entirely roofed over) when I wake up nearly dead from Acid Rain.

I tried moving into all different areas of the vehicles and even driving but I was unable to free myself from the damaging effects and died before I could reach a building.

Any chance it can be coded that a vehicle’s roof protects from Acid Rain?

What is the purpose of acid rain anyway?

Acid rain in real life is due to pollution of the atmosphere or something like that, so I think a (I think it is) nuclear war is more then enough to cause acid rain that is strong enough to burn through skin, seeing as there is acid rain now that can melt through concrete in some places.

The failed scientific explanation is over now.

Through what mechanism would nuclear weapons cause acid rain?

Heavier pollution, more acid rain.

One type of pollution is not synonymous with all the other types of pollution. Me spilling hundreds of tons of untreated human sewage into a swamp will not cause people to die of radiation sickness.

I think the fallout would cause acid rain? But yeah. Itd sorta balance out in the long run seeing as theres no pollution from vehicles/factories etc.

/useless rant over

making the game hard

I think the fallout would cause acid rain? But yeah. Itd sorta balance out in the long run seeing as theres no pollution from vehicles/factories etc.

/useless rant over[/quote]

fallout would not cause acid rain. they have nothing to do with each other.

acid rain is mostly caused by hydrocarbon emissions, particularly from cars and coal-fired power plants. both generate sulfur dioxide, which dissolves in water (ie, clouds), particularly in the presence of ozone (ie, higher up), to form sulfuric acid in the atmosphere and falls on things in rain. hence acid rain.

if the apocalypse was recent, there should still be acid rain, especially if robots are still running power plants, or perhaps if volcanoes are erupting, which could release a lot of sulfur dioxide.

The war caused most of the world’s forest (outside New £England) to burn, relasing tons of sulfurs in the atmosphere.

Speaking to the actual OP: a completely roofed vehicle ought to do the job. Are you sure you aren’t missing a corner somewhere, and that the doors were closed?

Or the people in pre-cataclysm just didn’t give a rat’s hoot about pollution, and had absolutely no regulations on it. Kinda like how they left toxic waste dumps in the middle of no where, with toxic and radioactive waste dumped all along the outside, no fence or even locked door or anything.

On the note of nuclear waste and radiation pollution not causing acidic rain; no, I didn’t mean to imply that it was a direct cause.
However, numerous nuclear explosions would greatly aggravate the greenhouse effect.

In any case, it’s still a bug that needs to be fixed.
@KA101; I do not know if it’s fixed in dev versions but in 0.4 with a completely roofed (default Semi-Truck basically) and closed vehicle the acid rain will continue to hurt the character.

I even used debug to make a ‘vehicle’ that’s just a board/frame/roof square and the rain still does damage.

Yeah, it’s best to park it in a garage, or ram it through a house when acid rain appears.

Good to know too, I just installed a roof on my motorbike.

Edit: I think I heard it from someone else, but I think the acid rain might even damage the parts of the vehicle.

[quote=“Flare, post:14, topic:1105”]Yeah, it’s best to park it in a garage, or ram it through a house when acid rain appears.

Good to know too, I just installed a roof on my motorbike.

Edit: I think I heard it from someone else, but I think the acid rain might even damage the parts of the vehicle.[/quote]
Re AR damaging vehicles: if so, then that was added. I’ve left cars & bicycles outside the 02Feb Lab in multiple Acid Rain storms and never had them damaged thereby. (I was inside the Lab but on the ground floor, so presumably was in range for local area effects.)

It should not have been just added. I remember the post where I read the claim was made a few months ago. Perhaps this person was mistaken about what caused the damage to his vehicle.

[quote=“Austupaio, post:13, topic:1105”]On the note of nuclear waste and radiation pollution not causing acidic rain; no, I didn’t mean to imply that it was a direct cause.
However, numerous nuclear explosions would greatly aggravate the greenhouse effect.

In any case, it’s still a bug that needs to be fixed.
@KA101; I do not know if it’s fixed in dev versions but in 0.4 with a completely roofed (default Semi-Truck basically) and closed vehicle the acid rain will continue to hurt the character.

I even used debug to make a ‘vehicle’ that’s just a board/frame/roof square and the rain still does damage.[/quote]

are you doing the roof right? i’ve never had that happen in acid rain.

one roof square by itself does not make it roofed in, i think.

Does it need 8 sections of wall around the roof too?

From what I remember you need a 3x3 roof to protect the single middle tile.
The walls method works for buildings but I’m not sure about vehicles.

My car’s cockpit looks like this :
wwwww
d x x x d , where x is roof , b is board, w - windshield and d - door, and it never rained inside, acid or otherwise.
b d d d b

Nor was the car ever damaged by acid rain, or the content in the back unroofed trucks.