Unique versions of weapons ala Fallout?

Was thinking some unique variants of common weapons would probably be welcome, basically like they did it in the Fallout series… Some have little bits of lore attached (Jingwei’s shocksword and Colonel Autumn’s laser pistol), some historical references (Occam’s razor and Wild Bill’s sidearm), some fun plays on words (Board of Education nailboard and The Break pool cue) and some are just fun (wazer wifle and Fisto!).

Besides ones with lore attached (in ways other than the item’s description) these sound like they’d be easy to do through json edits unless they had honest special effects coded into them (which is what makes it awesome, in my book…) Far as I know at the moment the closest thing we’ve got to these are our contributor honor items and a pun item or two :> Wouldn’t hurt to keep going!

I know STALKER also had Unique weapons that came pre-modded… they were pretty awesome.

[size=8pt]While not a bad idea and while we are on the subject, I think I would like the ability to give crafted items custom names in the game along with custom descriptions.[/size]

This would be awesome too. XD

The Trusty Zweihander
The flip flops of eternal moth-iness
Edd’s brand contact lenses

And you know other thing we could take from the Draw your cataclysm characters.

Couldn’t be simpler, copy an existing item in the json, change the id and description fields, tweak the stats, and either add it to some spawn lists (really rare, obviously), a recipe (probably using the base weapon type as an ingredient), a quest reward, or as a spawn in some location like a lab finale.

For actually enforcing uniqueness, we’d need support for a unique flag or similar, which would build a list of the things and flag whether they’ve been spawned, and if so keep them from spawning again. That sounds like something sensible anyway, for example for unique locations or NPCs.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:6, topic:4375”]Couldn’t be simpler, copy an existing item in the json, change the id and description fields, tweak the stats, and either add it to some spawn lists (really rare, obviously), a recipe (probably using the base weapon type as an ingredient), a quest reward, or as a spawn in some location like a lab finale.

For actually enforcing uniqueness, we’d need support for a unique flag or similar, which would build a list of the things and flag whether they’ve been spawned, and if so keep them from spawning again. That sounds like something sensible anyway, for example for unique locations or NPCs.[/quote]

What about the artifact code?

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:5, topic:4375”]The Trusty Zweihander
The flip flops of eternal moth-iness
Edd’s brand contact lenses

And you know other thing we could take from the Draw your cataclysm characters.[/quote]

BUT WH- …Wait shit I don’t have a signature item… XD

General Ryndren’s Milkor MGL? :>

Ninja’s bloody rag.
(The description would say that it feels a bit sandy.)

It’s an IRC thing… Ask Nick.

I don’t think I ever actually used the damn thing. I just remember the first time I played CDDA I picked up a Milkor MGL, and accidentally tried to eat it and thought the message was funny as hell XDD

So very much no. The artifact code is really, really terrible, and I consider just deleting it all on a regular basis. Also practically speaking it’s not a good fit, it has a handful of hard-coded item templates that it adds a bunch of special effects to, so there’s just one knife template, one sword template, one rock template, etc… you can’t plug actual items in as a base. Finally the special effects are all these weird magic effects it wouldn’t make sense to add to a merely “special” or “custom” version of an item.