Unique Weapons

Ok, who here plays Fallout New Vegas?

Remember hunting down those sweet, unique, named weapons?

Well, why don’t we have that here too?

I’ve been thinking on implementation, and have come up with a plan. Certain ‘Boss’ enemies could drop a massless item, and you then use these massless items, alongside some gear, to craft a Unique Weapon.

First off, let’s make up a list of ‘Boss’ enemies.

[ol][li]Zombie Hulk[/li]
[li]Queen Triffid[/li]
[li]Fungal Tower[/li]
[li]Tand Drone[/li][/ol]

Would love feedback.

Several points I’d like to adress:

1. Does it fit into the game?
    This shouldn’t be part of the main game, that’s for sure. the main game tries to be at least somewhat realistic. Weightless Items simply wouldn’t work out. If someone wants to make a mod out of it though, sure.

2. What is unique?
    The ‘Uniqueness’ of those special weapons were always some ‘addons’ which aren’t accessible to the normal player or a special paintjob or so. Let’s take Maria for example, technically a simple 9mm handgun, if I recall, but it had some christian motif on it. They also gave the Weapons usually way better stats, because it’s something >special< ; Now look at Cataclysm, a semi-realistic game where you can modify weapons way easier than in Fallout. We got a lot of modifications for all types of guns, and the stats on the unique weapon and a heavily modified weapon shouldn’t differ.
    That means, if you really want to make unique weapons, it’s paintjob only basically. Take a normal 9mm gun and a Grip with the picture of Maria, jesus or whatever, combine it and you get the Gun ‘Maria’ - but it would have the same stats as the 9mm handgun used in the recipe, and you would need to manually upgrade it with scopes and whatnot.

3. The boss enemies.
    Zombie Hulks aren’t that scary. Fungal towers are actually hilariously easy when you have the right equipment. Don’t really know about the Queen triffids, i don’t really meet them often…at all. The only really dangerous thing in your list is the tank drone.

Perhaps a better variety of artifact items ALA Angband. Clear a mine? You might find a “Shining Phial” or “A plain gold ring” or “The Warhammer of Aule”.

Not exactly fitting with the game design but it’d be more amusing than the current artifact system I feel.

Well, the idea is that certain enemies would drop… let’s call it ‘Artifact Grist’, that you can then combine with a mundane object, to create a Unique, named weapon. These weapons would have higher damage, more speed, or other bonuses depending on the weapon.

Fer instance, (3) Artifact Grist + Baseball Bat = Home Run.

Baseball Bat
1.13 Kilograms
Volume 7
Bash 19
Cut 0
To-Hit +3
111 Move Points per attack.

etc,.

Home Run
1.13 Kilograms
Volume 7
Bash 23
Cut 0
To-Hit +4
88 Move Points per attack.

You get the idea. It’s a baseball bat, but better. It’s a unique, craftable only weapon, that requires you kill a very strong enemy to acquire.

You would need to go out and slay a jabberwocky, or some suitably impressive monster, before getting ‘Artifact Grist’ to combine with a Baseball Bat.

Artifact Grist would simply be a gaming abstraction, and therefore massless. It would simply be a way to represent that you earned this weapon.

That said, I know my list of ‘boss’ enemies is rather puny, which is why I asked for feedback. These aren’t meant to be a Week 1 item. You would need to work for these. Can I get suggestions for better ‘boss’ enemies?