Tweaks to temperature

So, earlier today, I was playing some cata, and was worrying about my character freezing while it was about -6 degrees celsius (21.2F), and I thought to myself…
"This is a load of crap"
Now, where I live currently, In the great Canadian North, winters can go down to about -40C (-40F), and -6C (21.2F) is basically T-shirt weather, and my character is somehow finding the ability to freeze to death unless he’s wearing some kind of heavy coat.

I think that this system could use some tweaking, since I don’t really find it very realistic or relatable.

Maybe in the character creation screen have a “nationality” option, which would cause your character to have certain weather resistances and vulnerabilities. While this does seem a bit racist, it does make a lot of sense for a Canadian or a Russian or something, who grew up having winters below -40C (-40F), would have more of a cold resistance than the current guy we’re playing as, as well as someone living in a maritime southern region would have more resistance to heat and rain. Choosing a race with many resistances, of course, would cost you points.
Edit: Now that I think about it, it would probably be better for there to just be traits in the game like “cold resistant” and “heat resistant” and “cold intolerance”.
Not really sure what I was thinking with the whole nationalities thing.

Another way, and a better way, in my opinion, would be to throw in a location tab to character creation screen, with options like “North” “Maritime south”, etc, were different locations would net or cost you more points (like profession), and would have an effect on the temperature and precipitation. Choosing a location with its matching nationality would have to have some kind of cost, though I can’t really think of one now.

S’yeah. There you have it.

I would literately freeze to death in -40C weather.

I’m american, but -40 sounds like a lot.

It’s a slight tangent from whether or not a particular temperature is uncomfortable or life threatening for different people but, unless it’s already been addressed without me noticing, last time I played the temperatures got real funky… like freezing in the summer and warm in the winters. I wouldn’t mind seeing a sort of temperature reset which each changing season. It would be a bit of an immersion break if the final days of a -20 degree winter made way to a suddenly temperate spring in the course of a couple hours game time, but I think that would be better than temperature becoming completely uncoupled from the season.

It’s like 26 degree weather in F for you non metric users. Pretty fucking warm for a West Virginian and a Canadian.

Also don’t worlds just start slowly getting colder?

i think nationalities would be a great addition. for example Africans could start with an athletics boost and heat tolerances, North Americans would start with a couple points in firearms, Asians would have good electronics and computer skills, Europeans would have good mechanics skills, and Scotsmen of course would start with the Psychopath and brawler traits :smiley:

Given that the game takes place in New England, I think the citizens there at least should have more resistance to “normal” weather of NE, which is pretty darn cold (I don’t know the exact number though).

Nationalities and temp reset are both great ideas.

Uh. Temperature could use some review, maybe. Nationalities seems like a…problematic thing to implement properly without being offensive in some manner, especially if all you’re trying to do is have some more cold resistance.

Personally I’ve not noticed freezing at -6C. Chilly yes, freezing no.
How many layers of clothing are you wearing? Don’t get me wrong I know you’re probably not running around naked but after all my clothes are on I generally have at least 25~30 warmth minimum.

Only noticed freezing in ice labs where the temp can drop below -20C, where you quickly get frostbite and freeze. Still, it’s not immediately fatal. A few versions ago you could wake up cold in 12C weather.

By the way guys, fur cloaks, fur blankets, fur coats, fur hats, scarfs…
Yeah, my first winter was harsh.

Also in long-lived games yeah there is a gradual temperature shift down. Apparently it’s a bug that’s hard to pinpoint, but honestly I consider it more of a feature. Nuclear winter FTW.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:9, topic:5166”]Personally I’ve not noticed freezing at -6C. Chilly yes, freezing no.
How many layers of clothing are you wearing? Don’t get me wrong I know you’re probably not running around naked but after all my clothes are on I generally have at least 25~30 warmth minimum.

Only noticed freezing in ice labs where the temp can drop below -20C, where you quickly get frostbite and freeze. Still, it’s not immediately fatal. A few versions ago you could wake up cold in 12C weather.

By the way guys, fur cloaks, fur blankets, fur coats, fur hats, scarfs…
Yeah, my first winter was harsh.

Also in long-lived games yeah there is a gradual temperature shift down. Apparently it’s a bug that’s hard to pinpoint, but honestly I consider it more of a feature. Nuclear winter FTW.[/quote]
Well, not really freezing in -6C, but I can get down to very cold unless I spend some encumberance. Plus, if you’re cold, it actually has a morality hit, which pre’ bad.

It was -6C here yesterday, and I saw someone running past my house with literally nothing but shoes, socks, and his underwear.

Then again, I live next to a pub.

I’m a Floridian, damn it.

I’d rather have traits that are named useful things like “Cold Resistant” than have traits like “Canadian”.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:13, topic:5166”]I’d rather have traits that are named useful things like “Cold Resistant” than have traits like “Canadian”.[/quote]If implemented I think nationalities would be separate from traits. They’d probably not take points, it’d be automatically assigned to you if you didn’t choose one.

Really, I don’t think it’d be racist at all to include nationalities in chargen, or even races, as long as they have benefits only and no disadvantages.

Still racist, please just stop right there.
There will be no game-affecting racial or national traits, just not happening.

It’s not right to have nationalities. RP if you wish, but I oppose it strongly.

Don’t think it is racist, but it could be interpreted as being racist. (The discussion about the different traits to assign to different nationalities WILL turn racist). And … it introduces little. If you want to play as a you already can. If you want stuff that cannot be done right now (like having different characters have different temperature tolerances), that is something else (unrelated to starting nationalities) that could be added. But as soon as beards are introduced, nobody stops you from starting with a beard and saying you are a viking.

And I am a racist (at least according to the wikipedia definition) I strongly believe the Dutch people have the best traits humans can have. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now that I think about it, it would probably be better for there to just be traits in the game like “cold resistant” and “heat resistant” and “cold intolerance”, etc.
Not really sure what I was thinking with the whole nationalities thing.

[quote=“WaffleEggnog, post:18, topic:5166”]Now that I think about it, it would probably be better for there to just be traits in the game like “cold resistant” and “heat resistant” and “cold intolerance”, etc.
Not really sure what I was thinking with the whole nationalities thing.[/quote]You were thinking outside the box, and we both got slapped down.

Political correctness will be the death of our civilization.

This isn’t a political correctness issue, for heaven’s sake. But I don’t think anything I say will get through to the person whose first act upon the introduction of religious books was to burn the Koran.