My temperature mod has been merged with the main game, hooray! (Feb 11th)
- Each limb has its temperature tracked. If it gets too low, cold penalties apply in the form of diseases. Same for too hot.
** Body temperature is based on the outdoor temperature, the clothing the player wears, how wet the player is, how fatigued the player is.
- The warmth of items have been put on a scale of 0 to 100 instead of 0 to 10. Fitted clothing is slightly warmer than non fitted.
- The player will wake up due to cold. This is calculted based on what the player is sleeping on, and how tired the player is. When death from cold is implemented, it would be possible for a player to be so tired that he would continue sleeping until death if he is not careful.
- Fire adds to player warmth. The intent is that one tile of fire will warm the player up considerably if he is close enough. In turn, standing next to a multi tile inferno will be very dangerous.
- Being hot or cold affects morale.
Things to do :
* I want to make sure that a sensible combination of clothing will protext the player from cold. Legwear, for example, doesn’t have much that protects up to 100, so I will add snow pants or ski pants or long underwear to help.
- I want to add a few more items that help with warmths. Things like cloaks, house coats, blankets, sleeping bags.
- I want to make the makeshift bed more difficult to craft. Perhaps having stages (1 : wooden frame 2 : frame and bedding 3 : bedding and blanket).
- I want to add some heated variants to craftable clothing. Fur lined trenchcoat, for example.
- I want to add morale values to sleeping.
- I will look into making fire a long term heat generator… something like fire + wood = charcoal, which will eventually “rot” by becoming cold. It would generate no light, but it would generate heat. You could pile charcoals together to keep warm at night… The alternative, would be to have fire pit “items” that consume fire as “fuel” for a longer time… Perhaps again, without generating light.
- I need to allow bionics and other diseases to interact with body temp. Having a cold should lower temp, a flu increase it. There are a few bionics that protect from fire heat, or maintan internal body temps…
- Indoor/outdoor should affect body temperature, as should a few weather effects. “Sunny” should probably add to bodytemp if the player is outdoors. Clear, a little less. Cloudy and others, not at all.
* Add lava to the fire check.
- In the future, I may look into adding a “heat map” much like the light map.
- In the future, have hot and cold foods affect bodytemp.
Known issues :
I would appreciate some feedback balance wise. I played a little bit to make sure certain things happened, but I doubt the system is perfect. I think, as is, it’s possible to wear a winter coat in the rain in +14C and have body temp drop dangerously low…
Update Feb 15th : Pushed some changes and another morale fix.
- My first attempt at the morale fix was incomplete. Now, for cold, morale loss is a maximum of 22 for the total body, and then 44 for very cold, and 66 for freezing.
- I added some frostbite code, so you can get frostnip or frostbite, causing pain as you warm up. Also added some messages
- Added one in 200 chance for the player to complain about temperature. At the moment, it’s very simple (and the player may over complain at the moment…)