[TILES] Updated! - Some basic ASCII tilesets for the non-graphics crowd

Well, I’m still working on it. :stuck_out_tongue: Unlike the minimap, which “has” to be scaled to the sidebar, the notes can theoretically be their own window.

And now it’s been merged. No fix for the note text on the overmap, sadly. It’s possible, but I failed on a few of my first tries, and now that it’s merged I can just take a second pass at it later.

Well I’m looking forward to it; graphical tiles on the overmap would be fantastic. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, is there a guide to setting up all these different fonts, and on how to prepare one of the fonts themselves?

Yeah, I can whip one up. The process is fairly simple.

The bitmap fonts have to be 16-by-16 ASCII tilepages, with specific color codes. A typical curses bitmap font looks like this:

Take note of colors. Two specific colors on the font sheet determine how in-game ASCII colors are applied. Any pixel that is pure white - #FFFFFF - receives “foreground” color. Any pixel that is bright pink - #FF00FF - receives “background” color. Pixels of any other color retain their color, so be sure to check the amount of colors your sheet uses. PNG transparency is supported, so you might be able to create a font that “glows” with background color instead of having a complete square fill, but it’s not terribly well advised.

Once you have the bitmap fonts, copy their PNG files into the data\font folder, for consistency since that’s where the other fonts are.

Then edit the ‘fontlist.txt’ file inside the config folder, to include your new fonts. Not sure if it’s required, but I always add the file extension to the name of the font, like so:

FixedsysTTF Monospaced data/font/fixedsys.ttf 0 Terminus data/font/terminus.fon 0 Goofy12x12.png data/font/Goofy12x12.png 0 Goofy12x12x2.png data/font/Goofy12x12x2.png 0 Md_curses_16x16.png data/font/Md_curses_16x16.png 0 curses_640x300.png data/font/curses_640x300.png 0 Haowan_Curses_18x18.png data/font/Haowan_Curses_18x18.png 0 Yayo_tunur_13x13.png data/font/Yayo_tunur_13x13.png 0

With that done, all you need is pointing to the fonts in the ‘fonts.json’ file in the same folder:

{ "fontblending" : true, "fontwidth" : 8, "fontheight" : 12, "fontsize" : 12, "typeface" : "curses_640x300.png", "map_fontwidth" : 18, "map_fontheight" : 18, "map_fontsize" : 18, "map_typeface" : "Haowan_Curses_18x18.png", "overmap_fontwidth" : 13, "overmap_fontheight" : 13, "overmap_fontsize" : 13, "overmap_typeface" : "Yayo_tunur_13x13.png" }

Keep in mind that window dimensions will always use the first font’s size, since it will be the “terminal” font for all basic text.

Thanks! I’ll probably give that a go later.

Edit: Hmm, I’m getting a runtime error if I have any overmap stuff in fonts.json. I’ve got the current latest (2217, SDL, Windows 8.1); is the separate overmap font support just not in yet?

This is what my fontlist.txt and fonts.json files look like:

FixedsysTTF Monospaced data/font/fixedsys.ttf 0 Terminus data/font/terminus.fon 0 retroasciifont10.png data/font/retroasciifont10.png 0

{ "fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, "fontheight" : 16, "fontsize" : 16, "typeface" : "Terminus", "map_fontwidth" : 8, "map_fontheight" : 16, "map_fontsize" : 16, "map_typeface" : "Terminus" "overmap_fontwidth" : 10, "overmap_fontheight" : 10, "overmap_fontsize" : 10, "overmap_typeface" : "retroasciifont10.png" }

Same problem even if I have “overmap_typeface” set to Terminus, so it doesn’t seem to be my png font.

Hm. Maybe the latest build doesn’t yet have the changes? I’d check it out, but my internet connection is terrible at the moment.

Ah; I’ve got it now. It was a silly mistake on my part; I forgot a comma at the end of the line before the newly-added overmap lines. Rather than:

{ "fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, "fontheight" : 16, "fontsize" : 16, "typeface" : "Terminus", "map_fontwidth" : 8, "map_fontheight" : 16, "map_fontsize" : 16, "map_typeface" : "Terminus" "overmap_fontwidth" : 10, "overmap_fontheight" : 10, "overmap_fontsize" : 10, "overmap_typeface" : "retroasciifont10.png" }

… it should be:

{ "fontblending" : false, "fontwidth" : 8, "fontheight" : 16, "fontsize" : 16, "typeface" : "Terminus", "map_fontwidth" : 8, "map_fontheight" : 16, "map_fontsize" : 16, "map_typeface" : "Terminus", "overmap_fontwidth" : 10, "overmap_fontheight" : 10, "overmap_fontsize" : 10, "overmap_typeface" : "retroasciifont10.png" }

Sorry about that.

Any chance of these getting updated to the latest stable? HRose’s 20x20 is my favorite ascii tileset ever.

If you grab the package Sean put together here and follow his instructions from the previous page here, you’ll be able to use that font without needing to be in tileset mode.

As a bonus, this will work with experimental and won’t need updating when new items are added.

(As another bonus this means you won’t have to deal with the things that don’t currently work properly or at all in tileset mode.)

Thanks for the instruction. Although I’m still kind of sad because not using tileset mode means I don’t get the cool zoom feature.