The WTF Thread

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:98, topic:2519”]Thanks.
OK, here are the last WTFs for 0.B, I hope (I only care about the bold part):

[ul][]“Leadworks LLC’s sole shotgun offering to date has surprisingly good reach, thanks to its moving barrel and forward-back pump mechanism.”
[
]“mall - good court”—I still haven’t figured it out.
[*]“bluebell”—This term is pretty ambigious. I know, it’s a flower, but of what kind of bluebell have you thought?[/ul][/quote]

The L12 has the same setup as the Neostead. When you pump it, you’re moving the barrel rather than the ammo, so you can have a longer barrel without lengthening the gun.

As for bluebells, this looks like the best candidate: Seaside bluebells

“good court” is a typo, probably it was just used in two different places, one of which is a typo.

PR filed to fix “good court”, will need VlasovVitaly to do xyr thing for the .pot files once it’s merged.

Thank you all for your help. Now German translation is at 100% … for now. I know the next Launchpad update will drop this number slightly.

Can this wait until Monday?

Can this wait until Monday?[/quote]

Ask Wuzzy, xe’s been the one pestering about it. Can merge whenever.

Merge it whenever you want to. If this involves a delay, I’m OK with it. If not, I’m OK with it, too. In other words: I don’t care. I don’t understand why it now all depends on me to decide. I already got what I want (translation help).

If I understood correctly, it’s LazyCat-rus who is asking to delay this … for whatever reason. As I said, I don’t care when this gets merged, I just care about that it gets merged at some time.

Was merged anyway. shrug

OK, a few new strings have been added to Launchpad recently, and I stumpled upon one string:
“dazzing”
This is a field effect, like smoke. But I don’t know what it’s for. My dictionary doesn’t know this word.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:109, topic:2519”]OK, a few new strings have been added to Launchpad recently, and I stumpled upon one string:
“dazzing”
This is a field effect, like smoke. But I don’t know what it’s for. My dictionary doesn’t know this word.[/quote]

Because it’s a typo: try “dazzling”. Context: a blinding flash, probably from a military grade searchlight tower or a riot control bot.

One minor issue: The L523-DSR’s “designated shootist” term is my best gender-unmarked English for the German term “Schütze”. Apologies for the unclarity; if you’ve a better word for it, let me know.

As for the Mycus, I wrote some explanation comments but they show up fairly late in the file. Long story short, the Mycus is a hive-mind of the fungus, but is mostly present in the Nether. It isn’t capable of any sort of macro-scale defense layout or otherwise seriously planning things. That’s where it wants the player to come in.

The Marloss berries/seeds/gel are designed to alter the user’s brain chemistry to encourage further use, and eventually dependence upon, the substance. In turn, the addicted user will take steps to generate more such fruit, in the process spreading the fungus.

Not sure if this is helpful or not; I realize you folks put in a lot of time and effort, and I appreciate that. Hoping to make the latest Pile O’ Strings a little easier to work with.

Please explain this:
“%s - %d RU / %d turns”

I don’t know what the “RU” stands for. I couldn’t find an explanation anywhere, so this may be an issue with English strings as well.

‘Designated shooter’ would be better.

KA101, look at this string:
“We have altered this unit’s configuration to extract and provide local nutriment. The Mycus provides.”

I have no problem with translating it, but are you sure with this string? You are using “Mycus” in singular here, which does not match what you have written previously about the Mycus, KA101. Since you said the Mycus only know the concept of “we”.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:112, topic:2519”]Please explain this:
“%s - %d RU / %d turns”

I don’t know what the “RU” stands for. I couldn’t find an explanation anywhere, so this may be an issue with English strings as well.[/quote]

Trait, amount of hunger/fatigue/thirst it costs (varies with the trait, we don’t have a better way to phrase it, ideas welcome!) per X turns.

[hr]

Mycus recognizes that there are non-Mycus around, and can refer to itself (including the PC) as a collective singular. For example, someone who just took the final Old Guard (remnants of the US federal government) quest, and therefore received a marshal badge and gun, could say “The Old Guard provides” as they just issued gear.

I checked what I wrote in the iuse, and I think this is the relevant bit:

//~ The Mycus does not use the term (or encourage the concept of) "you". The PC is a local/native organism, but is now the Mycus. //~ It still understands the concept, but uninitelligent fungaloids and mind-bent symbiotes should not need it.

So yeah. This is within the scope of Mycus dialogue. That said, it’s not their typical dialogue (nor should it be: that string happens when a Mycus Feeder that’s Hungry or worse plants a marloss seed, resulting in a marloss bush harvestable for more fruit).

You still haven’t explained what the letters “RU” stand for. :wink:
Or did you just pick two random letters? xD

I’m OK about the Mycus thing.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:116, topic:2519”]You still haven’t explained what the letters “RU” stand for. :wink:
Or did you just pick two random letters? xD

I’m OK about the Mycus thing.[/quote]

BeigeSand made it up, I’d presume it’s “Resource Units” or somesuch, and if you’ve got a better idea we’d love to hear it.

mocassins
–> 515 (seems to be a spelling error -> moccasins? or a language specific joke?)

%s (cost 800)
–> 12111 (there’s already a bigger one with %d cost, 12110)

Default: %s - Values: %s
–> 12208 (i have no idea what will be put in the %s)

That %s cannot be used on a %s.
–> 12806 (no context)

%s You hit the %s for %d damage.
%s hits the %s for %d damage.
–> 12881, 12882 (%s in front, which similar strings don’t have. Is it supposed to add “CRITICAL!” on a critical hit?)

The %s stumbles over the cot
–> 12923 (no context as to what a cot is)

%s (cost 800)
When a npc offers to teach a martial art style, %s is the name of the style. The other string is for training a skill level. The 800 (%d in the other one) is the price in ... cents? That seems very cheap.
Default: %s - Values: %s
Those are for options, first %s is the default option value, second %s is a list of possible option values. It's used for example on the "Drop empty containers" option, it's shown in the option window.
That %s cannot be used on a %s.
The gun mod (first %s is the name of it) is incompatible with a guns ammo type (second %s). For example when using a 9mm caliber conversion kit on a USP 9mm.
%s You hit the %s for %d damage. %s hits the %s for %d damage. --> 12881, 12882 (%s in front, which similar strings don't have. Is it supposed to add "CRITICAL!" on a critical hit?)
Yes, it contains "Headshot!" or "Critical!" or "Grazing hit." or " You cut %s!". Probably handle this as a separate sentence that is just passed through.
The %s stumbles over the cot
There is an item of that name which is used to create the trap, its description says "military style fold up cot" - googling "military cot" gives some images.
bday: %d
bday rot:
What does 'bday' mean? 'Birthday' or smth else? And what is 'rot'?