The WTF Thread

Okay then. More lore for the fey is not really important.

Description of “Plant” mutation.
"Well, you still have those other walking flowers-and the mushrooms too-to deal with. But you’ll manage."
Decrypt please.

What difference between “Aqueous” and “Aquatic” mutations?

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:82, topic:2519”]Description of “Plant” mutation.
"Well, you still have those other walking flowers-and the mushrooms too-to deal with. But you’ll manage."
Decrypt please.

What difference between “Aqueous” and “Aquatic” mutations?[/quote]

Those are all Threshold mutations you’ve got there. They indicate that the bearer is no longer really human.

Aqueous: Slime-category. You’re becoming increasingly liquid-y yourself.
Aquatic: Fish-category. You’ll adapt to living in liquid.

Plant: It’s a reflection on the character’s situation, given that she/he is now a mobile plant and is totally OK with that fact. Those “other walking flowers” are the triffids (they pretty much look like walking tulips IIRC, with the stinger coming out of the bulb/petals part) and the “mushrooms” are the fungaloids. But the payer is confident in their abilities.

I think that all these “thereshold” descriptions are not really helpful. Yes, they are all perfectly translatable. But the problem is they are really not descriptions at all. They are just comments on something.

The game has some poor descriptions. I call them “pool” because they actually don’t describe anything; they are just a comment on something. The “thereshold” descriptions miss the main point that the player IS now a sort of a plant/hunter/bird/whatever. This would be a problem in any language.

I suggest the following description style: First, it should describe. After that there may be space for comments / funny remarks etc. Remember that not all C:DDA players are native English speakers and lots of translations are still to be made. Descriptions can be very helpful since many words in C:DDA are NOT self-descriptive.

Maybe I’ll open an issue on GitHub and suggest some concrete string changes by myself, who knows?

Here’s an example for a description how I imagine it for “Plant”:
"You have become a mobile plant and you are fine with that. Well, you still have those other walking flowers—and the mushrooms, too—to deal with. But you’ll manage."
In case this does not fit, get rid of the last sentence, one for one, until it fits. Note this is just an example, please comment.
Note I’ve also replaced “-” with “—”. C:DDA is an UTF-8 game, so this SHOULD be no problem.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:84, topic:2519”]I think that all these “thereshold” descriptions are not really helpful. Yes, they are all perfectly translatable. But the problem is they are really not descriptions at all. They are just comments on something.

The game has some poor descriptions. I call them “pool” because they actually don’t describe anything; they are just a comment on something. The “thereshold” descriptions miss the main point that the player IS now a sort of a plant/hunter/bird/whatever. This would be a problem in any language.

I suggest the following description style: First, it should describe. After that there may be space for comments / funny remarks etc. Remember that not all C:DDA players are native English speakers and lots of translations are still to be made. Descriptions can be very helpful since many words in C:DDA are NOT self-descriptive.

Maybe I’ll open an issue on GitHub and suggest some concrete string changes by myself, who knows?

Here’s an example for a description how I imagine it for “Plant”:
"You have become a mobile plant and you are fine with that. Well, you still have those other walking flowers—and the mushrooms, too—to deal with. But you’ll manage."
In case this does not fit, get rid of the last sentence, one for one, until it fits. Note this is just an example, please comment.
Note I’ve also replaced “-” with “—”. C:DDA is an UTF-8 game, so this SHOULD be no problem.[/quote]

Just saw this one. I put quite a lot of thought into each of those, and took a lot of time digging through code to help you.

Post-Threshold, the mutation descriptions are (almost*) uniformly appreciative of their mutation and reinforce that its a good thing. That’s a design decision intended to reinforce the fact that the character is no longer human. I’m sure they could be reduced to a terse description of what they toggle. But then there would be very little creative work involved, and different mutations giving the same effect (necessary to preserve category-separation) would be practically indistinguishable.

I’m not particularly happy with your proposal, Wuzzy; it insults my time and effort, and I’ve already asked for guidance on string-length caps, which you blew off. Specifically, you said something to the effect of “I don’t know, you tell me,” despite you being the one asking for shorter strings.

So whoever requires more space, let me know what string length I have to work with, if you would, please.

*PER_SLIME, Sensory Disintegration, is unhappy with its condition. Since it depicts a condition where the character’s senses are literally a moving, chaotic, and unpredictable mess, I think having the description be unhappy with it is acceptable. For the Terse crowd: reduces sight range; randomizes hearing; randomly blinds, deafens, or visual-hallucinates; drops Perception by 8, but won’t take it below 1.

I don’t understand your problem, KA101. I did not ask to shorten the strings, I just asked to make them more descriptive. The problem is just that we currently have very little space so the creativity is already restricted, wheather we like it or not. As Kevin Granade said, the actual solution to small string limits would be to allow scrolling (Source).

Okay but now I seem to understand the threshold mutations. As I understand them now, they are not actual mutations but just declarations. In THAT case, I am perfectly okay with the descriptions then. Forget my suggestions then, with that knowledge they don’t make sense to me either. Thank you for sorting this confusion out.

By the way, I was always confused about the so-called “Ganz-Rustung”. In C:DDA It is a large crossbow but why the hell is it called “Ganz-Rustung”? This obviously resembles German but in German I never heard of a “Ganz-Rustung” nor of a “Rustung”. “Ganz-” is easy, it means “complete” or “full” or something similar. But “Rustung” is unknown to me. I may think of “Ganz-Rüstung” (because US English does not know “ü”) but this would not make sense at all, since “Ganz-Rüstung” would roughly translate to “full suit of armor”.
Was this word made up or does it actually exist? In the Internet the only result I find is an entry of the C:DDA wiki. o_O
If the word was made up for C:DDA I’d just use the same string in German.

Okay, I have started work for the upcoming 0.B release.

There is one string I can’t find a good translation for: “hand paddies”. This is an item name.
Neither dict.cc nor Beolingus nor Urban Dictionary yield any satisfying results for “hand paddies”, “hand paddie”, “hand paddy”, “paddies”, “paddie” or “paddy”. All I get are colloquial terms, derogatory terms or something about rice fields.

Maybe it is just me, but I think the item should be renamed, if even the Urban Dictionary is of no help, lol.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:87, topic:2519”]Okay, I have started work for the upcoming 0.B release.

There is one string I can’t find a good translation for: “hand paddies”. This is an item name.
Neither dict.cc nor Beolingus nor Urban Dictionary yield any satisfying results for “hand paddies”, “hand paddie”, “hand paddy”, “paddies”, “paddie” or “paddy”. All I get are colloquial terms, derogatory terms or something about rice fields.

Maybe it is just me, but I think the item should be renamed, if even the Urban Dictionary is of no help, lol.[/quote]

Oars.

Specifically they should be “paddles”, not “paddies”, that’s a typo.

Thanks.

New stuff:

[ul][]“lot” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py)
[
]“mall - utilities” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py)
[]“mall - good court” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py)
[
]“salon” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py) There are all kinds of “salons”: hairdressing salon, music salon, manicure salon, art salon, …
[]“fast food” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py). We already have “fast food restaurant”, so what’s the difference?
[
]“refugee renter” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py) (Is this what I think it is? lol)
[*]“Like what?” (src/npctalk.cpp). This could be a reply to a lot of things, I need context.[/ul]

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:90, topic:2519”]Thanks.

New stuff:

[ul][]“lot” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py)
[
]“mall - utilities” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py)
[]“mall - good court” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py)
[
]“salon” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py) There are all kinds of “salons”: hairdressing salon, music salon, manicure salon, art salon, …
[]“fast food” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py). We already have “fast food restaurant”, so what’s the difference?
[
]“refugee renter” (overmap_terrain_from_json.py) (Is this what I think it is? lol)
[*]“Like what?” (src/npctalk.cpp). This could be a reply to a lot of things, I need context.[/ul][/quote]

Lot = mall parking lot
mall - X = A particular section of a large shopping mall. The food court has a lot of restaurants; the utility section is where maintenance, HVAC, etc take place.
Just in case: a “mall” in this context is a really large building subdivided into stores and pedestrian areas. It’s much like an indoors version of a marketplace or other such shopping-district. Unlike the megastore, the mall is not one store with different departments, but one building containing lots of different stores. (Larger stores within the mall may have separate departments, though.)

The salon and fast-feeder are special versions in the Necropolis cover-town. Translate them as you would any other salon or fast-feeder; the salon was a hair/nail place.

You can hire one of the NPCs from the refugee center, but that name is a typo. Should be fixed in-game; if not, I’ll see about it in the merge.

Well, about “refugee renter”: There is also the string “refugee center”, so …

Fixed in latest experimental.

[ul][]“fan strike” (meelee fighting)
[
]“Why waste your time on that insignificant speck?” (src/disease.cpp)[/ul]

What’s “speck” here? Some slang term?

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:94, topic:2519”][ul][]“fan strike” (meelee fighting)
[
]“Why waste your time on that insignificant speck?” (src/disease.cpp)[/ul]

What’s “speck” here? Some slang term?[/quote]

A fan strike is an Eskrima move, technically termed a paypay.

“Speck” in English typically means a tiny spot or grain (about the size of a single poppyseed). Term is usually used for dust, dirt, etc. If it’s slang, it’s slang I’ve known for decades and consider acceptable standard USian English.

[spoiler]The word “foothold”. What does it mean in this context?:

There isn't much pushed out by public relations that I'd actually believe. From what I gather, communication between the regional force commands is almost non-existent. What I do know is that the 'Old Guard' is currently based out of the 2nd Fleet and patrols the Atlantic coast trying to provide support to the remaining [b]footholds[/b].
[/spoiler]

Metaphor for “place where survivors (who aren’t hostile raider bands, etc) are still kinda-established”. The refugee center is one such foothold. Others might be military encampments, fishing communities, etc.

Thanks.
OK, here are the last WTFs for 0.B, I hope (I only care about the bold part):

[ul][]“Leadworks LLC’s sole shotgun offering to date has surprisingly good reach, thanks to its moving barrel and forward-back pump mechanism.”
[
]“mall - good court”—I still haven’t figured it out.
[*]“bluebell”—This term is pretty ambigious. I know, it’s a flower, but of what kind of bluebell have you thought?[/ul]

That should definitely be food court.

“mall - food court” is a seperate (!) string, which I figured out.