The WTF Thread

“The turret emits an IFF beep as it scans you.” src/iuse.cpp
What is IFF?
Is than http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_friend_or_foe ?
How sound IFF beep? =)

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:61, topic:2519”]“The turret emits an IFF beep as it scans you.” src/iuse.cpp
What is IFF?
Is than http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_friend_or_foe ?
How sound IFF beep? =)[/quote]

Yes, Identification, Friend or Foe is what IFF stands for.

I’d assume it’s a beep sound like any other electronic device makes. Something like a mobile phone might make.

"NEPower Mine"
What is NE?

canvas flap, wall - What is this? How it look?
animalskin flap - How it look?

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:63, topic:2519”]canvas flap, wall - What is this? How it look?
animalskin flap - How it look?[/quote]
The canvas walls and flaps are used for tents, so basically

The animalskin flap is basically the same as a tent flap, the bit that hangs over the door of the primitive shelter, much like

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:63, topic:2519”]"NEPower Mine"
What is NE?
—[/quote]

NEPower is a company name, so NE is probably New England, NorthEast, maybe Northeast Energy, something along those lines. Since it’s not clearly defined in-game, I’d just leave it as is?

[quote=“KA101, post:65, topic:2519”][quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:63, topic:2519”]"NEPower Mine"
What is NE?
—[/quote]

NEPower is a company name, so NE is probably New England, NorthEast, maybe Northeast Energy, something along those lines. Since it’s not clearly defined in-game, I’d just leave it as is?[/quote]
So, this not [NE] [Power] [mine]. It’s [NEPower] [Mine]. Right?

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:66, topic:2519”][quote=“KA101, post:65, topic:2519”][quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:63, topic:2519”]"NEPower Mine"
What is NE?
—[/quote]

NEPower is a company name, so NE is probably New England, NorthEast, maybe Northeast Energy, something along those lines. Since it’s not clearly defined in-game, I’d just leave it as is?[/quote]
So, this not [NE] [Power] [mine]. It’s [NEPower] [Mine]. Right?[/quote]
Seems like this is the case, yeah.

About irradiated {veggi. fruit, something }
For example irradiated apple
This is apple with radiation or very dry-dry-dry apple. All my dictionaries says that is radiated but my logic is resist that fact. Please, tell me irradiated word meaning (very dry or radiated).
Btw, some MRE descriptions contain “irradiated” word. Why somebody put radiated food in MRE?

Irradiated is not the same thing as radioactive.

Irradiated food is food that’s been exposed to a controlled dose of ionizing radiation in order to sterilize it. Since the radioactive source never actually makes contact with the food, the food itself is not made radioactive by this process, and thus it’s perfectly safe to eat.

In other words, it’s food that’s been ‘cooked’ on an atomic level using radiation, to make it clean of bacteria and contaminants in order to make it stay fresh and safe to consume for a long time; basically the same thing that’s done when milk is pasteurized, but using different methods.

Irradiated food is food that's been exposed to a controlled dose of ionizing radiation in order to sterilize it. Since the radioactive source never actually makes contact with the food, the food itself is not made radioactive by this process, and thus it's perfectly safe to eat.
Thank you. Irradiated it's not radioactive. In my language it's almost same things.

Okay, I am about to finish the German translation for 0.A (It is at 99.5% now.). I will list the strings I have problems with. If I don’t comment a string, I want a general description.

“The Beretta ARX-160 was a Phase II contender in the United States Army Individual Carbine competition to replace the M4 carbine. It failed to replace it, but it is widely used by military all around the world. This version is chambered for 7.62x39mm.”
What is Phase II?

“Only the finest whiskey straight from the bung.”
What does “straight from the bung” mean?

“A huge dinosaur about the size of a small house, with a ferocious crocodile-like head and a sail on its back.”
What is a “sail” in this context? Certainly not that thing you find on boats, right? :wink:

“You dream of foraging in the woods…mouth-first?”
What is “mouth-first”?

“Sapiovore” (mutation)
My dictionary doesn’t know a translation for this and the description of this mutation is not helping either.

“Cocaine. It is, indeed, a helluva drug. You blew your money on some dust, and before you knew it you were turning tricks behind the local CVS just to score one more line.”
I need to know what “CVS” means.

“Wow! This %s has a kick.” (src/iuse.cpp)
Sounds like slang of some sort. Right? So what doses “to have a kick” mean?

“You learn what you can, and stow the book for further study.” (src/iuse.cpp)
Is “stow” here meant in the sense of “to put it away, e.g. in your backpack”?

“You’re engorged to hibernate. The alarm would only attract attention. Enter hibernation?”
What “alarm” is this talking about?

“atomic ”
Atomic WHAT?

For these I just need a short description or definition:
“cvd machine” (terrain type)
“cvd control panel” (terrain type)
“Handjack” (vehicle name)
“stow board” (vehicle part)
“‘Tekeli-li.’” (appears to be some speech)
“‘TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!’” (appears to be some speech)
“‘TEKELI-LI!’” (appears to be some speech)

I need to know the context for the following strings:
“You quiver with anticipation…” (src/iuse.cpp)
“This stuff takes you back. Downright primordial!” (src/iuse.cpp)
“Eep!” (src/iuse.cpp)
“You wonder if this is what rBGH feels like…” (src/iuse.cpp)—What the hell is rBGH by the way?
“As you press the plunger, it all goes so bright…”—I am not sure if this is meant literally or slang.
“Started representing.”
“You feel very Bugged.” (src/iuse.cpp)
“You feel extremely Bugged.” (src/iuse.cpp)
“The %s winks out” (src/iuse.cpp); What’s “to wink out”, anyways?
“Clank! Clank!”
“Ring! Ring!”
“a chk!” (src/monattack.cpp)
“boop-boop!” (src/monattack.cpp)
“splash!” (src/ranged.cpp)
“HISISSS!” (something about bionics)
“%1$s on the %2$s is: ” (src/item.cpp, src/iuse.cpp)

Some weird strings of the strange kitten game I don’t understand:
“A Buttertonsils bar.”
“It’s a Quaker Oatmeal tube, converted into a drum.”
“It’s nothing but a corrupted floppy. Coaster anyone?” Coaster?

“'Tekeli-li.'” (appears to be some speech) “'TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!'” (appears to be some speech) “'TEKELI-LI!'” (appears to be some speech)
Speech of Shoggoth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoggoth . Just transliterate it.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“The Beretta ARX-160 was a Phase II contender in the United States Army Individual Carbine competition to replace the M4 carbine. It failed to replace it, but it is widely used by military all around the world. This version is chambered for 7.62x39mm.”
What is Phase II?[/quote]

It means like a second stage or round of testing.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“Only the finest whiskey straight from the bung.”
What does “straight from the bung” mean?[/quote]

The hole in a barrel of alcohol is a bung.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“A huge dinosaur about the size of a small house, with a ferocious crocodile-like head and a sail on its back.”
What is a “sail” in this context? Certainly not that thing you find on boats, right? ;-)[/quote]
Since it’s describing a Dimetrodon, I’d say yes, the comparison is to the sail you find on a boat.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“You dream of foraging in the woods…mouth-first?”
What is “mouth-first”?[/quote]

I guess it means like eating leaves like a horse does, right off the bush without using your hands.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“Sapiovore” (mutation)
My dictionary doesn’t know a translation for this and the description of this mutation is not helping either.[/quote]

It’s dog-Latin for ‘maneater’.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“Cocaine. It is, indeed, a helluva drug. You blew your money on some dust, and before you knew it you were turning tricks behind the local CVS just to score one more line.”
I need to know what “CVS” means.[/quote]

CVS is a line of drug store/convenience stores in the USA.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“Wow! This %s has a kick.” (src/iuse.cpp)
Sounds like slang of some sort. Right? So what doses “to have a kick” mean?[/quote]

It is indeed slang. It means that the beverage is really strong stuff. In this case it’s an INCREDIBLY potent stimulant.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“You learn what you can, and stow the book for further study.” (src/iuse.cpp)
Is “stow” here meant in the sense of “to put it away, e.g. in your backpack”?[/quote]

Correct.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“You’re engorged to hibernate. The alarm would only attract attention. Enter hibernation?”
What “alarm” is this talking about?[/quote]

It’s telling you to not bother setting an alarm clock because you’re about to go to sleep for a very, very long time.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]“atomic ”
Atomic WHAT?[/quote]

I’m not sure about this one. Any further context?

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]For these I just need a short description or definition:
“cvd machine” (terrain type)
“cvd control panel” (terrain type)
“Handjack” (vehicle name)
“stow board” (vehicle part)
“‘Tekeli-li.’” (appears to be some speech)
“‘TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!’” (appears to be some speech)
“‘TEKELI-LI!’” (appears to be some speech)[/quote]

“cvd machine” Chemical Vapor Deposition machine - can be used to apply a special chemical treatment to edged weapons that makes them sharper
“cvd control panel” just a control panel for the CVD machine
“Handjack” is a hydraulic floor jack, like you use in a garage to move big heavy stuff like engines around
“stow board” in a cross bewteen a storage locker and a vehicle bulkhead, like a toolbox mounted in a vehicle’s wall
LazyCat-rus is correct, the rest is shoggoth stuff, good to just transliterate

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]I need to know the context for the following strings:
“You quiver with anticipation…” (src/iuse.cpp)
“This stuff takes you back. Downright primordial!” (src/iuse.cpp)
“Eep!” (src/iuse.cpp)
“You wonder if this is what rBGH feels like…” (src/iuse.cpp)—What the hell is rBGH by the way?
“As you press the plunger, it all goes so bright…”—I am not sure if this is meant literally or slang.
“Started representing.”
“You feel very Bugged.” (src/iuse.cpp)
“You feel extremely Bugged.” (src/iuse.cpp)
“The %s winks out” (src/iuse.cpp); What’s “to wink out”, anyways?
“Clank! Clank!”
“Ring! Ring!”
“a chk!” (src/monattack.cpp)
“boop-boop!” (src/monattack.cpp)
“splash!” (src/ranged.cpp)
“HISISSS!” (something about bionics)
“%1$s on the %2$s is: ” (src/item.cpp, src/iuse.cpp)[/quote]

I’m not sure about most of these. I think some of them are messages it gives when you consume mutagenic serums.

[quote=“Wuzzy, post:71, topic:2519”]Some weird strings of the strange kitten game I don’t understand:
“A Buttertonsils bar.”
“It’s a Quaker Oatmeal tube, converted into a drum.”
“It’s nothing but a corrupted floppy. Coaster anyone?” Coaster?[/quote]

All the robotfindskitten stuff is supposed to just be silly objects and stuff. The oatmeal tube refers to a cardboard packaging tube that oatmeal is often sold in, and the ‘corrupted floppy’ is a broken floppy computer disk, whereas a ‘coaster’ is that little paper disc that you set your glass on so as not to leave watermarks on your wooden table.

“You quiver with anticipation…” (src/iuse.cpp) : You’ve got the mutation for High-Powered Mutagen Addiction, and are about to take a dose!

“This stuff takes you back. Downright primordial!” (src/iuse.cpp) Slime serum, I think.
“Eep!” (src/iuse.cpp) You audibly squeak when taking Rat serum.

“You wonder if this is what rBGH feels like…” (src/iuse.cpp)—What the hell is rBGH by the way? Cattle serum, it’s a hormone that promotes cow growth/milk production, but is unpopular with consumers.

“As you press the plunger, it all goes so bright…”—I am not sure if this is meant literally or slang. It’s literal, and referring to your vision. Troglobite serum, most likely, and since they’re underground/darkness kinda folks, your eyes overload on the light.

“Started representing.” You just breached the Alpha threshold, and as a new Prime, began representing humankind as (one of) the best specimen(s) we’ve got.

“You feel very Bugged.” (src/iuse.cpp) Both of these are you having a trait that blocks pain, when you should not legitimately-
“You feel extremely Bugged.” (src/iuse.cpp) -have that trait. So you’re officially Bugged.

“The %s winks out” (src/iuse.cpp); What’s “to wink out”, anyways? It’s a phrase that indicates that something pulses a bit and then turns off, disappears, etc.

“Clank! Clank!” Sound of a cowbell.
“Ring! Ring!” Sound of a bell.

“a chk!” (src/monattack.cpp) Oops, turret’s trying to fire an empty SMG.
“boop-boop!” (src/monattack.cpp) Oops, turret’s out of ammo/charge.

“splash!” (src/ranged.cpp) You threw a liquid, apparently. Not sure how you’d manage that (containers and all) but whatever.

“HISISSS!” (something about bionics) // Sound of hissing hydraulic muscle! (not quite as loud as a car horn) <- That’s the comment I wrote in right above that sound, with “Hey, Wuzzy asked us to explain our sounds” in mind.

“%1$s on the %2$s is: ” (src/item.cpp, src/iuse.cpp) Note-on-item handling. First blank is how it’s written/engraved/carved, second is the note itself. (Things like naming your weapon, etc.)

How to translate all Flammenschwert strings (iuse, item name)?

• and other similar items *

Okay thank you all very much. Everything has now been incorporated into the German translation.

Here are my final (I hope so) WTFs for 0.A:
“entry suit”. This is clothing and I know what it is but. I can’t find a German translation for this. I am looking for synonyms of this word so I may have greater chances to find a proper translation. Item description: “A flame-resistant whole-body garment worn by firefighters as protection against extreme heat. Though very restrictive, wearing it will provide excellent protection against fire and smoke.”

“makeshift sling”. This is a piece of clothing (look it up in the wish menu). Its description is “A large sheet tied into a crude over the shoulder sling.”. It can be crafted by one sheet. Still I can’t picture what a sling actually may be. The description is not helpful since it uses the word “sling” to describe a … sling. :-/

“medical oxygen”. Again I can’t find a German translation for this and am looking for synonyms. Context: “This is tank of compressed medical oxygen with a regulator and mask. Commonly used in emergency situations, it provides immediate relief for asthma attacks and smoke inhalation and can provide a brief burst of energy.”

LOL, okay. But this comment was not extracted, so I did not find it in the PO file and I would have to actively look into the source code to see it. Not very convenient, especially when translating thausands of strings. :wink:
I think you have to type a comment which starts with “~” so the comment gets extracted. I am not sure about this, so talk to other developers if it doesn’t work.
Example in iuse.cpp:

//~ the sound of a noise emitter when turned on g->sound(pos.x, pos.y, 30, _("KXSHHHHRRCRKLKKK!"));
This comment got properly extracted and I could see in in Launchpad, Poedit, etc.

How to translate all Flammenschwert strings (iuse, item name)?
I guess these strings are intentionally in German (altough it’s the English C:DDA) as a joke. If this is the case, translating these strings would equal copying these strings.

Edit: Never mind. I have found sensible translations for the last strings by myself.

Edit 2: btw German translation is now on 100%. :slight_smile:

Fey Mutation, Fey Vision and so on…
What is Fey?

btw, in vehicle screen: K mass K dynamics. What is “K”?

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:77, topic:2519”]Fey Mutation, Fey Vision and so on…
What is Fey?

btw, in vehicle screen: K mass K dynamics. What is “K”?[/quote]

Not sure about the K (betting a physics variable) but Fey is a term for faerie/elf-type stuff. Those happen with Elf-a mutagens, etc. You get that, you be mutating into a tree-hugger.

Yeah, the fey stuff. Good luck finding a translation for that in your language. :wink:
“tree hugger” is an … interesting description. :smiley:
It would be helpful if there were more lore about feys, since the current “lore” (actually just some short descriptions) gives only a very vague idea.

Fey is an umbrella term referring to fairies, pixies and sprites in the broadest sense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fey

I used above definition to translate it to German: “Naturgeist”.

btw, in vehicle screen: K mass K dynamics. What is "K"?
I don’t know. But I know what “K mass” and “K dynamics” mean. Read here: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=4275.msg62167#msg62167 And read the following replies. Then you should understand. By the way, the strings “K mass” and “K dynamics” [i]really[/i] need to be changed, almost nobody here knows what they mean. I did not translate those strings directly, I rephrased them in my translation.

“Nature spirit” (literal “nature ghost”?) is acceptable, Wuzzy. :wink:

I can create more but since the existing lore is pretty clear that it’s largely been destroyed, tough to justify. :wink: