The Wiki Thread

Just checked and it seemed to be working fine; I’d had an error once but it kicked back in OK when I checked (the downforeveryoneorjustme site came back as just me, and the wiki was up when I checked again).

GlyphGryph controls the server so that sort of thing needs to go to his e-mail.

I’ll see how the wiki behaves and contact GlyphGryph if need be. So far, so good today.

I know this part of the forum is pretty dead, but I have two announcements to make. repost it somewhere else if you feel it is worth it.

1. All the Guides can now be accessed from the Guides page off the Main page. I haven’t put them all into the Guides Category or put the Navbar in yet though. I’ll probably do that later though. Some of them are very outdated or incomplete though, unfortunately, I’m the person who would be reading them, not writing them, so I would really appreciate it if some of you could update them.

2. This is more specific. The enemy categories in the wiki don’t follow a set format. Some have the second word capitalized, others don’t. I at first thought it would be a quick fix since I would only have to move a few pages and edit the enemy Navbar and Sidebar, but then I realised I would also have to edit every single page in that category to standardise the category pages. Needless to say, this is tedious and unfun. It will only get worse, however, the more pages are added to the wiki. It’s a pretty minor OCD problem, so it might not be worth the time and effort, especially if we decide later to reorganize the enemy categories. The wiki needs content above everything else, but this would only worsen the problem, especially if it is present in other places. Is it worth it to do it now, or do we just ignore it and focus on other things?

On a side note, I got a bit disheartened when I found out about the item viewer since it is far more complete and up to date compared to the wiki, but looking at it, while it’s certainly useful, it is limited in what it can do.

pre post edit: I almost had a heart attack when the forum asked me to login again when I went to preview this post and it then took me to a blank page afterwards. Why would anyone set the default to auto-logoff you after only 60mins? So glad I could recover this.

When in doubt, follow the game’s formatting. Second and subsequent words in names aren’t capitalized unless it’s ACSL, so far as I know, so going forward don’t capitalize 'em and that should set the standard.

No idea re auto-logoff, but no worries. We’re fairly informal here.

And thanks again for your work on the wiki, as well as welcome to the forums.

Thanks KA101, I’ll keep with that from now on.

I don’t deserve all the credit, you’ve been a really big help with the wiki on top of all the great work you do with actually making Cataclysm.

Which I should really be playing, my first 3 chars for 0.B all died the Saturday before I started on the wiki. Real big difference to my 0.9 girl I have retired after playing on and off for a while. This brings me to an important request:

Please someone, anyone, make a tutorial for Hordes!

I can still see my third char taking the first ten steps out of the shelter towards the nearest town far to the South across an empty plane. I check my map and my first reaction is: “Oh Gods, half the town is coming for me!” I just ran and ran hoping to lose them, first to the West and then the North after running into a Nether spawn. Into the territory of a ant nest, completely unsure if they’re still following and desperate to find someplace safe. And then Moose. The End.

[quote=“JayJayForce, post:104, topic:823”]Thanks KA101, I’ll keep with that from now on.

I don’t deserve all the credit, you’ve been a really big help with the wiki on top of all the great work you do with actually making Cataclysm.

Which I should really be playing, my first 3 chars for 0.B all died the Saturday before I started on the wiki. Real big difference to my 0.9 girl I have retired after playing on and off for a while. This brings me to an important request:

Please someone, anyone, make a tutorial for Hordes!

I can still see my third char taking the first ten steps out of the shelter towards the nearest town far to the South across an empty plane. I check my map and my first reaction is: “Oh Gods, half the town is coming for me!” I just ran and ran hoping to lose them, first to the West and then the North after running into a Nether spawn. Into the territory of a ant nest, completely unsure if they’re still following and desperate to find someplace safe. And then Moose. The End.[/quote]

I handle merging, mutations, etc. Rivet’s responsible for about half the Stuff in the game (if you encounter an item, there’s a pretty good chance she made it), i2amroy and Kevin handle infrastructure, BevapDin does remarkable things with the code, and Narc runs our buildbot (without which experimentals would be a lot slower to come out). GlyphGryph still handles the webhosting.

We do a LOT of work to keep DDA going, yeah. So thanks for yours with the wiki. :slight_smile:

As for hordes: I rarely play nowadays so I could suggest, but would be guessing. If you haven’t already thrown up a thread in the Bunker, I will, and that’d be the way to go IMO.

The search function for the wiki is brutally slow right now. As in start a search, go for a cup of coffee kind of slow… Am loving learning this game, but that makes it pretty tricky… Can someone look into that perhaps?

Mine is working just fine right now. Are you sure it’s not a problem on your end?

Hmm, how would I tell? The forum and rest of the site works fine for me as does the rest of the internet. Not sure what would be happening on my end to make the wiki slow.

More info:

• this only seems to happen in Chrome for me, and not every time, more like every third time I hit a link on the site. Responses will take 1-2 minutes, and sometimes just timeout.
  • so far, it seems to work fine in Firefox.

Get the same problems in firefox, some times it takes a long time, and then it generates an error (500 usually). The wiki is not stable at all.

I would like to help with the wiki - I realize this might be a necro, but how would I do so? Should I just begin to contribute, or do I need to contact someone?

If you want to contribute to the wiki then you don’t need anyone’s permission; just don’t move pages and follow the rules and everything should be fine.

But first read the editing help (Help:Editing pages - MediaWiki) and be sure to look at the pages which are not completed yet (esp. guides: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides) to see if they can use your attention.

And, btw, this is not a necro; any post on a sticky thread (no matter how old) is not a necro.