Please add ___ to the Wiki

Personally I think that the wiki should be a noobs best friend. Unfortunately the Cata:DDA wiki is falling further away from up to date status. So if you spot anything that needs to be added to the wiki Please post it here. I enjoy the threads/comments that come form having a dilapidated wiki as much as anyone, but it is hardly fair for the player base to have to wait for a forum response (fast as they may be) Hopefully by getting the wiki back into good shape, we can reduce the workload of the mods, and let them do more actual modding. Hopefully we can get KA back to his beloved coding (And maybe to ease up on forum control at same time?) Anyway I am not much of a coder or anything but I will do what I can to put in a good description of everything that needs one.

I’ve been compiling a list of things to add/edit. I think the power armor values are off. I’ll get to them.

Also I want to add in, to actual use the UPS to power the armor you ‘activate’ it.

Vehicles section has a bunch of new stuff that is missing too. The door types and descriptions.

It looks like the values of many armor/clothing items are off- a lot of incorrect price, volume, and defense values. I might be wrong, but I believe the defense values for clothing pieces are determined by the number of layers each item has and that the actual layer values are incorrect.

Also, some monsters like the mi-go have incorrect combat and dodge skill values.

A lot of pages for high-end books are missing, like lab journals Herrera, Gustav, Dionne, and Smythe.

Many articles on some monsters are just a stub (i.e. they’ve just copied the ingame description), not just monsters other stuff like tools and weapons too. Some other articles too, on the newly added items are not there (such as control-laptop). Crafting recipes for Charcoal Forge, Electric Forge, Hand-Press and die set (swage and die set, and some other things which are forged from scratch), Jackhammer, etc are not there. I don’t know how to add recipes, otherwise I would’ve added them. Many recipes don’t have any pointers to indicate how you would learn them (by disassembling, books or just by yourself), I think that needs to be added.

Stubs can be corrected by the addition of more detailed information on that object, tactical information, like how to deal with the said monster (avoiding spoilers when possible). I don’t have enough time to add all that stuff and to top it, I haven’t even played DDA for months. Correcting stub and empty articles should not be a problem but at this time there’s certainly not a guide on the wiki on how to edit a recipe. Guides are in a very good state right now, some had typos (corrected them) but none other than that.

Wiki’s is not in a very good state right now but its good to see that its constantly improving, even better than before, well I hope that this just keeps up with the fast development of DDA going on.

[quote=“Noodles of Doom, post:3, topic:9192”]It looks like the values of many armor/clothing items are off- a lot of incorrect price, volume, and defense values. I might be wrong, but I believe the defense values for clothing pieces are determined by the number of layers each item has and that the actual layer values are incorrect.

Also, some monsters like the mi-go have incorrect combat and dodge skill values.[/quote]

Incorrect values are a persisting problem so far. Thankfully there’s an item-browser which draws its values directly from the source-code so no diving is needed. I guess values are not so important and even if they are, the item-browser’s just for that. Well, some can correct those but a lot of time is needed but not much effort, as the item-browser is always up-to-date.

huh. How do you remove a topic? I did not realize that there was an entire semi hidden sub-forum dedicated to this already, and it won’t let me delete the first post, which I figured would be how.

“Remove Topic” is available, if folks want, though I think this is a reasonable thread to leave up.

So what’s the purpose of this thread currently?

Btw many articles on Zombified animals are not there. I’ve checked the wiki, Antlered horror, Festering Boar, Decayed Pouncer, Grim howler, Jawed terror, etc. are not on the wiki. Even the Thriller and the Zombie dancer are not on the wiki. I know players will not encounter these often but I think there should be some tactical information on the wiki.

How to actually create a page, it seems simple but when I went to edit a page I got something like this:

[code]{{enemydescription
{{Row/Enemies1
|name=zombie
|glyph=Z
|color=c_ltgreen
|hitpoints=80
|species=species_zombie
|size=MS_MEDIUM
|material=FLESH
|difficulty=3
|aggression=100
|speed=70
|meleesk=4
|meleedamage=2d3
|cutdamage=0
|dodgesk=0
|basharmor=0
|cutarmor=0
|dropchance=40
|flag1=SEES
|flag2=HEARS
|flag3=SMELLS
|flag4=STUMBLES
|flag5=WARM
|flag6=BASHES
|flag7=GROUP_BASH
|flag8=POISON
|flag9=BLEED
|flag10=NO_BREATHE
|flag11=VIS40
|flag12=REVIVES
|specialabil1=bite
|specialtime1=5
|morale=100
|ondeath=zombie
|description=A human body, swaying as it moves, an unstoppable rage is visible beneath its oily black eyes.
}}
==Notes==

{{Enemies}}
[[Category:Zombies]]

[/code]

I know that those square-brackets are links, but what does that {{Row/Enemies1 tag mean, I think it begins the data on that table but how do you create a table? (not edit but actually create it as in creating an article of that sort)

Creating guides seems simple enough but articles along with the data on that enemy seems a bit complicated.

Copy over the entire structure from some existing page on an enemy (like a zombie), and change the values that you need to.

The structure is full of templates which ensure that the monster gets added to the infoboxes, tables etc. and that everything displays consistently.

thumbs up I’ll put in some stubs for those critters when I get back this evening if Im not too tired.

Please add… a more in-depth entry for vehicle wheels on the wiki :smiley: For now all it features is the size ranges… It didn’t answer my burning question: if I make four tiny wooden wheels can I put them on this RV? :wink:

soon as someone gives an actual answer I’ll post it up. But I can’t really do that when I don’t know the answer myself.

I want to figure out the answer to this, but I can’t find any “tiny wooden wheels”. I checked Stable and experimental and the smallest wheels I found were five inch casters… regardless, I tested the 5" shopping cart casters. I replaced all of the wheels on a luxury RV with the little 5" casters, and surprise it didn’t go anywhere. I also replaced all the RV wheels with wooden cart wheels, which actually worked.

Wheel type: Result:
x4 5" Shopping Cart Casters The RV refused to move.
x4 Wooden Cart Wheels Success!

I’m on it - wheels aren’t easily “figureable” if you don’t know the source code. There’s a division with rounding down, meaning it’s really easy to get a wrong idea.

EDIT: Added to Vehicle parts article
http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Vehicle_parts#Wheels

Sorry for the long delay, I didn’t have internet access for a while so I was not able to create those pages. Litppunk, as you didn’t add any stubs, so I added them by gathering the data from the item-browser and using the technique that Zirael mentioned (thanks man :D). I’ve also edited the Zombie-Animals page to add those critters in that template. The data seems to be correct but the links to the pages I’ve created are not working. Whenever I click one of those new links that I’ve added, they take me to the page creation page telling me that the page does not exist (even when it exists), the old ones like the rot-weiler or Z9 seem to work fine, I wonder what’s wrong with my added pages. The page’s here: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Zombie_Animals

The pages that I’ve created are: Antlered Horror, Festering Boar, Decayed Pouncer, Grim Howler and Jawed Terror. If you find any other pages missing, add them yourself or just inform me or one of the admins here. If you find any incorrect values, please do correct them as I cannot ensure 100% accuracy (even more so when I’m copying that stuff from another page).

I fixed the links for ya :). Turns out the names were case sensitive, so I just had to set them all to lowercase.

I fixed the links for ya :). Turns out the names were case sensitive, so I just had to set them all to lowercase.[/quote]

Thanks for the fix man, I never thought that they were case-sensitive.

Seems like really what we need is to write up (or modify an existing) wiki-bot to automatically update the wiki values based on those in the source code (or if that’s too difficult pull them from the item-browser, I don’t have too much personal experience dealing with wiki-bots). That would ensure that both of them were always up to date.

There’s a script which does this for the bash/cut armor, and I actually got around to (mostly) fixing :). Some armor values may be off by 0.5 (I don’t know how to make the bot round down decimals), but for the most part items display mostly correct armor stats now.

Where is this script?

And could it be updated to include all the item Id values? I updated the templates to include a link to the item browser.

What the wiki really needs is a DF like versioning system. So each page has a version: 0.C, 0.B, 0.A etc. thing at the top. (For releases in the future).

I’m looking into how much work that is.

But as nobody has edited the wiki apart from me the past 2 weeks I assume im alone on this.

Edit: have found the creator of the update bot. Have send him an email.