The Wiki Thread

Definitely put it up there!

I’ve got exams at the moment, and have done for the past month or so, so the guides haven’t progressed much at all since I started them. I may go and do a total re-edit of all the new material (nothing major - just to keep it in good format) but having material in there already is 90% of the work done.

Also if you wanna format it in an ingenious way, then that’s 100% of the work done :stuck_out_tongue:

Triffid HQ page is up. Not sure whether/where to file the Martial Arts: Practical Tips (what do all these stats actually mean???) page.

I’d like to give a quick shout-out to 60.242.66.41, who helped complete the Mines advanced guide. Thanks for helping out!

That would fit in the “Guides” category.

That would fit in the “Guides” category.[/quote]

As opposed to the Advanced Guides. OK. I’ve started a discussion thread to gather input over in the Bunker.

Yes, I think it’d fit best there. The Advanced guides category was originally created to store end-game and spoilerific guides there (the ones you’ve done already), which I think your MA one would be exempt of, right?

About the thread, I’m afraid I can be of little help. In any case, if there’s little or no feedback just go ahead and publish it as you see fit. Other than dodge I don’t think anything else was changed since 0.2.

OK, it’s live. Thanks, kenoxite, and good job catching the spammers.

Update: The basic Martial Arts page was repeatedly glitching out (I like to have it open as a reference). Not sure what’s up.

As for that in-game character font, it’s not silly of itself but looks weird since that’s the only place I’ve seen it used. Perhaps using it on other pages might help, but looks like enough markup that I’m not likely to bother with it.

And…“Weather changed to Thunder Storm! Stop using internet because Verizon is a lousy ISP and their service craps out in the rain? [Y/N] (case sensitive)?” Likely Y. Be well, all.

Is there someone with the ability to do page moves on the wiki? I think the advanced guides should be moved and given some prefix, like Guide:Strange Temple. The reason being that three of the guides (Strange Temple, Marloss Berry, and Fungal Bloom) now share their names with less spoilery item and terrain pages that differ only by case (Strange temple, Marloss berry, and Fungal bloom).

Done.

Thanks, kenoxite. Sorry about the Power Armor problems–not sure what happened to the hints, I don’t believe I deleted them.

No problem. And no need to apologize. It’s not a big deal at all and something bound to happen in a wiki environment. In fact, it was actually my fault. I should have reworked that section myself before, but I guess I liked it too much. The hints, that was BMacZero’s bot. Each item has its own page now, so they aren’t needed for the most part.

The wiki is becoming more useful and deep each day. Great work guys. And because I think the work done over there isn’t praised enough, endless thanks to all who have and keep contributing, particularly to those who started this whole wiki thing with Whale’s version and which still is about 80% of the current content of the DDA one (with some tweaks and updates here and there, but it still is basically their work).

Yeah, the bot did have a problem on a few runs where it butchered the hint templates that were in some of the description columns. I fixed the ones I saw but I wasn’t quite sure what to do with those ones, though I enjoyed them : P.

I think it’d be nice for guides to display the version used to create that given guide. This way it’ll be clearer how outdated a guide is, so the reader can decide on its usefulness a priori.

I’ve edited the Choosing Martial Arts Styles page with what I have in mind.

If you guys agree then it’d be nice to update all the existing guides with that blurb. If the version is unknown then just place a guesstimate based on the date of the last edit. And feel free to edit the text itself, as it surely could be phrased better.

[quote=“kenoxite, post:32, topic:823”]I think it’d be nice for guides to display the version used to create that given guide. This way it’ll be clearer how outdated a guide is, so the reader can decide on its usefulness a priori.

I’ve edited the Choosing Martial Arts Styles page with what I have in mind.

If you guys agree then it’d be nice to update all the existing guides with that blurb. If the version is unknown then just place a guesstimate based on the date of the last edit. And feel free to edit the text itself, as it surely could be phrased better.[/quote]

The template looks a little rough, but I agree that it’s a good idea. Mine are mostly based on 02Feb Bugfix, but I’ve made some updates where I had relevant information.

Whilst you’re pulling attention to that particular page, though: is the information presented actually useful? I’m not sure if those ratings I assigned are clear or if the talking @ should be spread more broadly. (It looks silly there, IMO, because that’s the only place it’s used.)

Update: Advanced Guides all now have the template, modified as necessary.

I think it’s useful. The way each style is rated could be named differently, but the information would be basically the same, so changing it would be only a matter of preference. I’m only puzzled about your “not recommended” for karate as starting style, as it works quite well particularly when surrounded (lots of blocks), but I’ve only scratched the surface of the MA thing (lots of karate, bit of taekwondo), and mainly to update info in the wiki. It will certainly surprise a lot of players, as karate seems to be the most used MA.

About the @ talking, it’s not applied anywhere else because most questions aren’t phrased like yours there, which feel like is the character talking. The only other place would be the FAQ, maybe. Feel free to remove it, anyway. It was just a funny experiment.

I think it’s useful. The way each style is rated could be named differently, but the information would be basically the same, so changing it would be only a matter of preference. I’m only puzzled about your “not recommended” for karate as starting style, as it works quite well particularly when surrounded (lots of blocks), but I’ve only scratched the surface of the MA thing (lots of karate, bit of taekwondo), and mainly to update info in the wiki. It will certainly surprise a lot of players, as karate seems to be the most used MA.[/quote]

Surprised me, too! 8-/ I said it Could Work as the only style the player took or as the first style, and Recommended it as one style to take with others. So far as I can tell, it’s probably about as good as Taekwondo, but with emphasis on offense rather than defense. So, possibly better long-term.

Used a similar Q&A regarding one Mine finale–I’m asking from a player rather than character perspective, but wev. I don’t think it’s bad so much as just uncommon. Use it more often!

By popular demand (yes, you, KA101) I’ve created a new template (Incharacter). I’ve updated the MA guide accordingly and added it to the mines guide and FAQ.

Feel free to use it wherever you think it’d fit, and wherever you want to spice things up.

Hey, are we doing multiple-language support on the wiki? Noticed a lot of activity recently that’s outside my Firefox’s charset.

It seems our fellow Chinese players are starting to translate some parts of the wiki.

BTW, if you’re curious about it and want to see that and other unsupported languages you’ll need to dust off your Windows install disk (assuming you’re using that OS). Firefox can only work with what the OS provides it with. Search in Google about how to proceed. It’s actually quite simple.

Hi again, all. I’m planning to generate templates for the different Item Groups in the game (defined in mapitemsdef.cpp) that could be used to easily specify item spawns and drops in various places on the wiki.

This would be what one of these templates would look like: Template:Loot/mi_child_items. The templates would be used in pages like this: Mil. Surplus. There would be 142 templates generated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have one current concern, which is that these lists take a lot of page space. I’ll look into maybe formatting them in columns or something.

Is the wiki is currently updated per git version released? I’d say it’s quite far in terms of updating the new content from the nightly builds. (Oddly some games have the wiki updated before even said feature has been released) :l If only editing the wiki isn’t tedious and boring.