The Music Proposal Discussion Thread

Wow, that’s a lot better. Good job Thrustwolf!

It has more of a flow and pacing- instead of absolute ambience, it can set the tone for something actively. Changes instruments enough to be interesting throughout.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:41, topic:1436”]Wow, that’s a lot better. Good job Thrustwolf!

It has more of a flow and pacing- instead of absolute ambience, it can set the tone for something actively. Changes instruments enough to be interesting throughout.[/quote]

Thankyou!, i really tried to keep the feel while making the instruments somewhat more appropriate. Also the shorter length helped alot with pacing i think.

I have played a LOT of CDDA since .04… but have only just now made this forum account… I am extremely impressed with the feel of the game so I want to help out.

I don’t want to usurp anyone’s contributions but I would like to make my own. I have made quite a bit of music in my time and offer anything I make to help out. as a good example of what I “hear” in my head while I play the game is something dark and mysterious… like this perhaps?

http://tindeck.com/listen/efyd

this is but a clip and if you all like it… I will finish it and work on more. Similar to it but dif enough for a variety of situations ingame.

[quote=“djrodw, post:43, topic:1436”]I have played a LOT of CDDA since .04… but have only just now made this forum account… I am extremely impressed with the feel of the game so I want to help out.

I don’t want to usurp anyone’s contributions but I would like to make my own. I have made quite a bit of music in my time and offer anything I make to help out. as a good example of what I “hear” in my head while I play the game is something dark and mysterious… like this perhaps?

http://tindeck.com/listen/efyd

this is but a clip and if you all like it… I will finish it and work on more. Similar to it but dif enough for a variety of situations ingame.[/quote]

Damn, thats totally rad! I love the echo-e chime sound in the beginning, really sets a nice tone.

Brilliant stuff, djrodw. That would be a great main menu theme.

I also like the proposal by Justice about using each contribution for different aspects/locations of the game. All of them could potentially be used as long as the right place for them to be in is found.

@djrodw: Thats a really good track right there. Feels very berlin-schoolesque, builds up very well, quite befitting a title screen. I cannot wait to see it finished properly.

I’ll just leave this here.

Here you are!

It is 3:40 in length (almost 3:41 for looping). I changed the initial fade-in and added the same instrument at the end so that the song can be looped without causing any crazy sound artifacts… ie. it should loop perfectly without jarring anyone’s ears!

Added another instrument for variation, look for it as it is a bit subtle.

I will work on more songs this weekend, as I have a lot of free time. Music flows easily from me when I get inspired so I might have a few more tracks to offer by Monday so forgive any spammy posting of tracks. Again cdda is sort of dark and mysterious to me so the tracks I make will all have that quality to them!

edit forgot to mention everything I offer will be Public Domain so if you want to hack them apart/change/add to/subtract from… or anything else I wont be offended! :slight_smile: cheers

Hi! I’m new here :slight_smile:
So I threw something together that could be used as a theme track. It’s a bit shorter with small developments, so it’s pretty loopable. The track itself is dark, mysterious and pretty uncomfortable with that flesh cutting string-like instrument and a cult-like choir. :stuck_out_tongue:

https://soundcloud.com/marius-schlichting/cataclysm-theme-idea-maybe-wip

Tell me how you like it.

[quote=“Marius, post:49, topic:1436”]Hi! I’m new here :slight_smile:
So I threw something together that could be used as a theme track. It’s a bit shorter with small developments, so it’s pretty loopable. The track itself is dark, mysterious and pretty uncomfortable with that flesh cutting string-like instrument and a cult-like choir. :stuck_out_tongue:

Tell me how you like it.[/quote]

Best, by far. The only one suitable for a game in my opinion. I didn’t notice “flesh cutting” sounds, perhaps you could use the sound of two knifes quickly stroking against each other or something among those lines, for a beat bits not the melody.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate that very much.
Hehe, I just thought that string sound had that uncomfortable, metallic sound… It’s a good idea to include a sample like that though, I’ll see what I can do!

Edit: Ok, updated the link with an updated version. Now with some small samples.

[quote=“djrodw, post:48, topic:1436”]Here you are!

It is 3:40 in length (almost 3:41 for looping). I changed the initial fade-in and added the same instrument at the end so that the song can be looped without causing any crazy sound artifacts… ie. it should loop perfectly without jarring anyone’s ears!

I will work on more songs this weekend, as I have a lot of free time. Music flows easily from me when I get inspired so I might have a few more tracks to offer by Monday so forgive any spammy posting of tracks. Again cdda is sort of dark and mysterious to me so the tracks I make will all have that quality to them!

edit forgot to mention everything I offer will be Public Domain so if you want to hack them apart/change/add to/subtract from… or anything else I wont be offended! :slight_smile: cheers[/quote]

I suggest you point your ears towards Romero’s Day of the Dead (1985). Your track made me think of the intro score but your beats were lackluster and much too predictable in comparison.

This is good, it’s a little busy sounding with everything going on, but it definitely sounds like a zombie movie/ horror movie soundtrack.

Has an undeniable apocalyptic feel. Very nice! Would be a wonderful title music, but its a bit to “busy” for ingame.

[quote=“djrodw, post:48, topic:1436”]Here you are!

edit forgot to mention everything I offer will be Public Domain so if you want to hack them apart/change/add to/subtract from… or anything else I wont be offended! :slight_smile: cheers[/quote]

Its gorgeous! Very nice techy feel to it. My favourite so far!

And I’m back with an ambient track I made today: https://soundcloud.com/marius-schlichting/cataclysm-ambient-1

Whooo, this certainly took off. I’m Justin and I made the third piece. I like the idea of using entering certain areas to cue music and it is what I intended with my piece (that I accidentally made too loud and can upload a non-clipping version if anyone wants). Also, Smoker’s track is a fantastic glitch-hop song that I am very impressed with out of all the pieces, although it would be a tough fit in Cataclysm. Favorite track so far.

I like Marius’ first song. It feels like it would go pretty well when…

1. You first see a Shimmering Portal outside of a lab. The floating eye is creepy and foreboding enough- the clash of instruments would make me shit my pants.

2. Any mine event. The Thing, Amigara Horrors, etc. They’re all foreboding and slow, with horrible and disastrous consequences.

The second song actually works really well for things like the lab, but I think it should go right when you enter a mine.

A lot of the time you don’t leave mines, and they’re fucking terrifying. If you reach its finale and the first song plays… oh man, so perfect.

PLEASE PUT THESE IN,

Hey guys!

I’ve got a few ideas.
Got a feeling you’ll like. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/user8091673/cataclysm-suite-themes-1-4

I knew there was a reason I was looking forward to your stuff.

Disarray, that…

It’s so goddamn beautiful and amazing. I love it so much!

PLEASE add this, if nothing else. It just keeps getting better, you musicians are fucking brillianT

First section could go when/if you go to the spiral cavern- I have teleported there before and it is absolutely magical (and scary). I don’t know how to go in vanilla Cataclysm though.

Second section starting at 2:15

would probably fit as morning/evening ambience… no living thing in sight, time to look back on your experience and your life. it’s the apocalypse and you should be dead but you aren’t.

Starting at 4:22… GOD I FUCKING LOVE THIS APART,

HGGNBHFH

I don’t even know what we’d use it for but it’s beautiful and marvelous and perfect and melancholic and SOMEBODY PUT THESE INTO THE GIT BUILD SOON