In Game Sounds And Music Ever Planned?

Dont get me wrong the game is incredible and sound / music arnt nessicary to get that end of the world, on edge survivor feel, But music could really add to the atmosphere, Project zomboid has some very nice zombie survival music, very tense and nerve wracking, i feel it could just add to the overall quality of the game, even if they just add NES sounds, But no hate if the game is Going to remain silent.

On Another note dwarf fortress is only a guitar, but there have been sound engines made by fans for the game. I have been unable to find one online for Cataclysm DDA but if someone knows of one he can share with some bros here :slight_smile:

I’m planning on integrating sdl_mixer support at some point, but I have no idea when, it’s pretty low priority for me.

You guys are awesome :slight_smile: cant wait to see what you and the community will put out when it does happen

Didn’t lazy cat implement sounds? Or did he do it sloppily?

Where could i find this if it exists? and from what ive read on the forum hes a real dick

VERY sloppily, he used windows-specific system calls that made it where his code wouldn’t even compile on linux.

Well it is sad he was a dick, with him we might actualy have had some work done since he seemed to be OK in coding. But sadly it is just little nick nacks being put in due to lack of focus and coders.

He was a dick, and not the coding guru he imagined himself to be, but he was right about some things.

Yeah it’s planned, and AFAIK we even have the music ready for it, it’s just the matter of getting the infrastructure in and that’s low priority, unfortunately.

I hate to see how long low priority takes, considering that some high priority shit is not started yet…

Consider that the average lifespan of human is 67 years, and minus the time when we are too young or too old then I’d say we have about 35 ~ 40 years…

nah.

Lots of times he was only “right” if you only cared about Windows computers and didn’t bother to care about the game running on any other operating system (which like 80% of our devs run) and didn’t care about silly nonsensical things happening like flying bears running around and then leaving floating, inaccessible items when they died. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see how it looks like that from the outside, but there’s a huge difference between being able to hack in 50% of a feature over a weekend and building a complete feature that you can continue building on in the future. None of the code I saw him produce was in a state that it could be included in the project, and he was unwilling to fix its flaws. If you don’t improve the code as it grows, the whole project will implode under the weight of its own hacks, then you’ve gotten nowhere.

Can you be more specific please? He was right about the sky being blue? He was right about Cataclysm being a fun game?

I think we can all agree Cataclysm kicks fucking ass

I like the cut of your jib.

He was correct about the lack of movement on key systems in the game being an issue.

You may say that people working on the project are doing it for fun, can’t be forced to work on this or that, etc, but that doesn’t keep DDA from appearing stagnant to an observer. Features keep getting added to the game that serve no purpose without the existence of systems that no-one ever seems to want to work on, and that seems incredible to me. I’m talking mainly about NPCs and factions. The game could be so much more engaging than the simple beat-em-up it is at present if it provided the player with more complex long-term goals, but that would require a skilled coder to step up and invest some major work into things that have been in development limbo for the entire period I’ve been following the project, and to me that’s quite sad.

I expect to be completely outspoken about this, but that doesn’t really bother me.

He was correct about the lack of movement on key systems in the game being an issue.[/quote]
Wow, that’s… really generic. So generic as to be pointless, no matter what level of development there is, you could always say that development could be faster.
What is your metric for how fast things are developed? How long do you think it would take to fully overhaul NPCs and implement working factions? Please fully support your numbers with a proposed design.

That’s quite a jump there, from “my pet set of features isn’t being worked on”, to, “the project appears stagnant”. You need a bit more to back up a claim like that than a bare assertion.

This is your opinion, and you’re wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t argue with this, this is the crux of the matter. No one wants to work on NPCs. Out of the 200+ developers that have contributed to DDA over the past year, not a single one has had the time, interest, and talent necessary to make NPCs happen, much less factions etc. You seem to look at this fact and see some kind of moral failing, whereas I see it as an indicator of how incredibly difficult overhauling the entire NPC system would be. I think part of this is the fact that everyone qualified to actually do the work knows how much work it would be, we’re talking weeks, if not months of sustained effort to implement, and no one has decided yet that the payoff is worth the effort. Meanwhile we keep chipping away at the things in the codebase that make it so painful, and eventually the effort required will drop to below some threshold for somebody, and it’ll happen.

In a way I agree with you. I guess if NPCs were the one killer feature it’d look different, but there is a ton of cool stuff being added all the time.

I have no clue. I’ve been following the project now for 13 or 14 months and as far as I’m aware, no one has shown an interest in tackling these features, let alone completing an overhaul of them. I really wouldn’t care how long it would take to get them into a fully functional state - I would be thrilled just to see a coder show any interest in working on them.

You’re correct that these are the features most important to me personally, but I’m not as hung up on NPCs and factions as I may seem to be. I just see them as the most obvious means of achieving late-game complexity and fully realising the purpose of a lot of the features already in the game.

I don’t see it as a moral failing, I see it as a problem that stems from the project’s roots - that the systems were, from incept, implemented less than intuitively by their creator (who’s no longer a part of the project), and no one wants to try to unravel them. I don’t care about attributing blame, I just find it disappointing that the project seems so thoroughly stymied by this hurdle. I often wonder if it wouldn’t have been ultimately easier to start fresh than to try to build on the framework provided by Cataclysm 1, but it’s obviously too late for that to be an option.

Guess you missed this then? :stuck_out_tongue: (Or at least didn’t recognize that it was an important step in removing a bunch of NPC crashes).

I wouldn’t be surprised if I’d missed a lot of things. I don’t follow github. But even the back-and-forth in that PR makes it fairly clear that NPCs and NPC-specific features aren’t high priority.

I am glad that I can at least play with NPCs on without suffering constant crashes in recent builds.