Ambient sounds

Following on CIB’s inclusion of sdl_mixer into the game, I’ve worked a couple of ambient audio events into the game. As is generally the case, it’s usually better to just show rather than tell so here’s a video:

Shown are: Sounds for daytime/nighttime, sounds for weather, sounds for indoors, sounds for underground. Is audio something that people are generally interested in with Cataclysm?

This is awesome dude I love it.

I love all the sounds accept one… the footsteps I can see that getting really bloody irratateing LOL.

But yeah this is really cool :slight_smile:

Now that you mention it, I had those set a bit loud from some tests I was doing before. I was looking to have specific footstep sounds depending on the surface underneath you but as it turns out, it’s one of those silly things that takes about 3 seconds to describe and an entire day of frying my brain to actually figure out how to do. All those days I spent goofing off instead of not totally failing comp sci and anything math related are coming back to bite me.

Pretty awesome, great work. :slight_smile:

PS: Now I need to hack my game so that it always rains and then play with this enabled. Do you have a github?

I absolutely love this. Great job already, the atmosphere with the crickets and thunder was excellent, had me totally immersed just watching the video. I do agree though, the footsteps need to be a softer tone, less of an abrupt crunch. I’d save that crunch for when someone is walking through a forest.

Do you plan on adding sounds for gunfire, zombies, and different footstep noises for different terrain? Cause honestly I am dying from excitement at the thought of having sounds for everything. I can just imagine sitting in a house and I hear huge steps outside and a hulks bursts through the wall. All in all though, to what extent do you plan on adding sounds? I’d love to know, because this should definitely be a thing and if you Added it, I’d vote for it in heartbeat.

Oh, and I love the underground ambient noises, would love to sit in a basement and hear random things in the distance, screams, gunshots, thumping, etc etc.

EDIT: You could always make this into one of those mods someone can choose to enable before they crate their world, that way everyone is happy and those who want it can enable it, and those who don’t can ignore it.

I think the main issue with the footstep sound is that its the same one for every step. if it would be able to pick from a small pool of samples it would already feel less jarring.

But really awesome work between Cib and you! added a whole new dimension to the game :smiley:

@CIB: Yup I do, here’s the branch with the changes I made: https://github.com/vulkans22/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/ambient-sounds
Sounds used are here: https://github.com/vulkans22/CataSounds/tree/master/data/sound

I was rather hoping someone with more experience like you could take a quick glance at the compare and let me know if I’ve implemented something terribly wrong. I’ve only started with c++ a few days ago and while it’s been a fun ride so far, it hasn’t been without its share of bumps.

@Sgtanarchy: You’ll be glad to know that gun fire sounds are actually already in, CIB also added support for it as well as when you reload your gun. I did make a change to the current implementation though- currently gun shot sounds play at the end of the gun firing procedure, I moved the sound over to play when the bullet drawing animation begins. This solves a problem where if you had burst fire on, all of the samples would play on top of each other at the end of the burst. It works fine but the way I did it is incredibly hacky (And man, it’s sad that I can make that distinction even with my lack of programming experience) and I’d like to rewrite it properly. Sounds for zombies would be cool for sure! The upside is that some of the zombies like shriekers already produce in-game sounds (As in: you get a message on your log about it) and it’s quite easy to set a sound effect to play when that is the case. I was also hoping to open up Adobe Audition, do about 5 or 6 levels of increasingly loud zombie moaning soundscapes and figure out a way to implement them depending on the number of zombies around the player’s vicinity.

Ideally, I’d love to do sound effects for absolutely everything that might produce sound. It’d be a big undertaking for sure (I’ve been working on this for the past week and a half and I’ve only barely scratched the surface) but I do think it could give the game a nice feel.

[quote=“vulkans, post:7, topic:9710”]@CIB: Yup I do, here’s the branch with the changes I made: https://github.com/vulkans22/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/ambient-sounds
Sounds used are here: https://github.com/vulkans22/CataSounds/tree/master/data/sound

I was rather hoping someone with more experience like you could take a quick glance at the compare and let me know if I’ve implemented something terribly wrong. I’ve only started with c++ a few days ago and while it’s been a fun ride so far, it hasn’t been without its share of bumps.

@Sgtanarchy: You’ll be glad to know that gun fire sounds are actually already in, CIB also added support for it as well as when you reload your gun. I did make a change to the current implementation though- currently gun shot sounds play at the end of the gun firing procedure, I moved the sound over to play when the bullet drawing animation begins. This solves a problem where if you had burst fire on, all of the samples would play on top of each other at the end of the burst. It works fine but the way I did it is incredibly hacky (And man, it’s sad that I can make that distinction even with my lack of programming experience) and I’d like to rewrite it properly. Sounds for zombies would be cool for sure! The upside is that some of the zombies like shriekers already produce in-game sounds (As in: you get a message on your log about it) and it’s quite easy to set a sound effect to play when that is the case. I was also hoping to open up Adobe Audition, do about 5 or 6 levels of increasingly loud zombie moaning soundscapes and figure out a way to implement them depending on the number of zombies around the player’s vicinity.

Ideally, I’d love to do sound effects for absolutely everything that might produce sound. It’d be a big undertaking for sure (I’ve been working on this for the past week and a half and I’ve only barely scratched the surface) but I do think it could give the game a nice feel.[/quote]

Awesome. If you decide to do sounds for everything, I assure you I would use your mod every world I create. I’ve always thought that the option to have sound effects would really increase the imagination potential and really boost the immersion. Thanks for working on this Vulkans, I appreciate the hard work you’ve put towards the project.

yep i to would love sounds to be an optoin maybe as a mod…
so thanks for the work buddy this is really cool :slight_smile:

These are essential for my gameplay now. Keep it up.

Some more things:

I have distant gunfire effects, zombie death events, projectile hit events, shell casing events, randomized sound sets and some other stuff I’m probably forgetting.

[quote=“vulkans, post:11, topic:9710”]Some more things:

I have distant gunfire effects, zombie death events, projectile hit events, shell casing events, randomized sound sets and some other stuff I’m probably forgetting.[/quote]

Dude I am extremely excited, watching that video was awesome. I love the sound effects for the guns and everything, and the walking noise is perfect, you barely even notice it and it isn’t annoying, but it still adds to the effect of immersion. Regarding the losing your hearing though, is there any way you could reduce the pitch a bit, because it was a bit too accurate to losing your hearing in real life, xD and was getting really annoying. Any chance to make it so that it’s a bit more bearable for listening to it for so long? That high pitch noise was killer for my ears xD.

I can’t wait to see noises for starting cars etc etc, you’re doing an awesome job, I can’t wait to use this mod extensively. One question though, do you plan on making individual sounds for each gun, or a standard noise for each gun? I think individual noises for each gun would make it more interesting.

There are also multiple levels of deafness severity which hooks into the game’s deafness “meter” itself, it happens that firing an RPG at short range triggers the worst of them all. I probably should have shown that as well but that video was already running a little too long for what it is.

The “This guy’s a dumb gun nut in real life” explanation is that small arms using the same calibers and round types tend to sound more or less the same.

The “This guy’s a lazy MFer in real life” explanation is that there’s way too many weapons in this game to realistically find or record a different sound for each… It’s certainly possible to do and an option but it’s a task more suited for a group of people rather than just the one dude. I’ll keep at it though, because I would also like to have distinctive sounds for each gun, even if it’s just slight differences.

This is beautiful. Sounds done correctly add an immense amount of satisfaction to a game, and this is done superbly well.
I myself wouldn’t be too hung up on most guns sounding alike, for both respecting that that would take a quite a bit of work and that I’m not too familiar with how guns actually sound :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways. This is awesome. You’re awesome. Awesome awesome.

[quote=“vulkans, post:13, topic:9710”]There are also multiple levels of deafness severity which hooks into the game’s deafness “meter” itself, it happens that firing an RPG at short range triggers the worst of them all. I probably should have shown that as well but that video was already running a little too long for what it is.

The “This guy’s a dumb gun nut in real life” explanation is that small arms using the same calibers and round types tend to sound more or less the same.

The “This guy’s a lazy MFer in real life” explanation is that there’s way too many weapons in this game to realistically find or record a different sound for each… It’s certainly possible to do and an option but it’s a task more suited for a group of people rather than just the one dude. I’ll keep at it though, because I would also like to have distinctive sounds for each gun, even if it’s just slight differences.[/quote]

Awesome, having each gun sound distinctly different was a bit of a stretch I admit, but was a hope not a need, I can happily work with guns sounding the same. One request though, will I be able to at least fire off a 50cal sniper and have it sound different? I was mainly thinking of that when I made the response, if not cool, if so, even more cool. Just requests of course, I don’t “expect” any of this in the mod.

HMG vs anti materiel rifle is definitely a distinction I’d like to make, less from a realism perspective and more from an aesthetic one.

My one regret is not having bought good recording equipment when I had the chance, getting a good recording of a 12.7 nato round being fired is a task that requires the whole ball o’ wax when it comes to kit.

Dear god, yes. I wish I had more time to give you some feedback on the actual code bit, but what I saw so far looked good. You don’t need to worry about your programming skills too much, your code already looks better than the average CDDA C++ code.

Oh wow, the loss of hearing sound, sounds exactly like my tinnitus. :frowning:

Is this PRed? Please please please PR this soon! Those videos are amazing.

Nice.

Did you make the sounds yourself ? Because they terribly remind me vintage UFO/XCOM.

If they’re clean license-wise, I’m for including them in the game.