The Music Proposal Discussion Thread

This thread is for displaying, discussing, and deciding between the music submissions that have come in for the game. Note that this is only for original pieces built specifically for the game.

The Current Proposals are:
Ambient submission from spookypen
A set of 5 pieces by Graham Lloyd
Submission from Justin Healy
Science Lab Funeral from Smoker
Thrustwolfs 6th revision
A submission from djrodw
A combination of four possible theme pieces from Disarray
We have multiple submissions (through multiple links) from Marius: Piece 1Piece 2

This post will be modified as new submissions and new versions of existing submissions are added.

Well what I did was played all 3 pieces (including the 5 piece segment) while playing the game in various forms (Building, hunting, running…) and every time I came back to liking the piece from spookypen. There is nice ambience to that score. Well done. It seemed to fit nicely to the game play no matter my mission.

Downers. I’m gonna go cry in a corner.

Removed a post from vache that wasn’t really appropriate for the thread, and tried to be a bit more clear (sorry vache)

Having listened to all three while playing around in game, I found that Spookypen’s submission felt most fitting for the environment. It’s not too surprising though, given that in my LP I have a very similar style of background ‘music’ playing.

Though Spookypen’s piece is clearly much more ‘musical’ than the ambient soundscape which I used, it seems to capture the same sort of feeling of emptiness, while somehow sounding warmer, if that makes any sense. I quite liked it, and could easily see myself playing a game (or even recording my LP) while listening to it

However, that isn’t to say the other submissions weren’t good. For example, I liked what Graham Lloyd was doing, but think perhaps the selection of instruments used distracted from the feel of the game. In a way it somehow pulled me out of the game a bit. The piano seemed to brighten the mood of the music a bit too much to fit in with the ruined world theme of the game, or perhaps simply it’s the key, or tempo of the pieces that are throwing me off, because I’m sure we all agree, pianos can give birth to some truly dark and moody sounds when they want to :slight_smile:

Overall, I found Spookypen’s submission to be very fitting for the game, and easy to listen to while playing.

[quote=“Aavak, post:5, topic:1436”]Having listened to all three while playing around in game, I found that Spookypen’s submission felt most fitting for the environment. It’s not too surprising though, given that in my LP I have a very similar style of background ‘music’ playing.

Though Spookypen’s piece is clearly much more ‘musical’ than the ambient soundscape which I used, it seems to capture the same sort of feeling of emptiness, while somehow sounding warmer, if that makes any sense. I quite liked it, and could easily see myself playing a game (or even recording my LP) while listening to it

However, that isn’t to say the other submissions weren’t good. For example, I liked what Graham Lloyd was doing, but think perhaps the selection of instruments used distracted from the feel of the game. In a way it somehow pulled me out of the game a bit. The piano seemed to brighten the mood of the music a bit too much to fit in with the ruined world theme of the game, or perhaps simply it’s the key, or tempo of the pieces that are throwing me off, because I’m sure we all agree, pianos can give birth to some truly dark and moody sounds when they want to :slight_smile:

Overall, I found Spookypen’s submission to be very fitting for the game, and easy to listen to while playing.[/quote]

LOL, I mentioned your LP’s, in particular, when we were discussing music in the IRC chat room. Glad to have you join us. You’ve been mentioned several times in IRC, and brought several new players to C:DDA through your LP’s. :slight_smile:

On topic: Thanks for taking the time to sample them all while playing.

Cheers!

Cool, good empty traveling music.

We need an alert combat music, like in MGS mod. With a cello monotone (repeated single note rhythm) and with another instrument on-top of that as to make it more music-y.

But spooky’s submission was good. We just need some combat music.

[quote=“Justice, post:6, topic:1436”]LOL, I mentioned your LP’s, in particular, when we were discussing music in the IRC chat room. Glad to have you join us. You’ve been mentioned several times in IRC, and brought several new players to C:DDA through your LP’s. :slight_smile:

On topic: Thanks for taking the time to sample them all while playing.

Cheers![/quote]

I’m happy to help where I can, though my musical background is rather limited (I can only play one instrument, myself) but hopefully my opinions can help further the discussion at the very least :slight_smile:

I would definitely recommend anyone sampling the music do so while playing though, even if it’s just a throw-away character. It seemed the best way to test the music out, to actually be playing the game with the music in the background, to see if it compliments what’s happening in the game, or distracts from it.

[quote=“Aavak, post:5, topic:1436”]Having listened to all three while playing around in game, I found that Spookypen’s submission felt most fitting for the environment. It’s not too surprising though, given that in my LP I have a very similar style of background ‘music’ playing.

Overall, I found Spookypen’s submission to be very fitting for the game, and easy to listen to while playing.[/quote]

I quite like spookypen’s submission myself as well. I can see where you’re coming from with the piano. The second song does sound a bit too light for Cata looking back on it. What I was going for with the first song, Dark Days Ahead, was something to be played upon opening the game. The final song, the End of All Things was something I envisioned during death, and the other three were meant for gameplay. I’m glad you liked it though :slight_smile:

I really like the first and fifth songs of Graham Lloyd. I agree with the first belonging on the menu, but I think more situational music would be cool.

I envisioned, during the fifth, that it would play during your first long car drive- activating when you are in a moving vehicle with no hostile creatures in range for 5 in-game minutes.

Hm…

Fourth song could be played when first entering a church, or when seeing a number of zombies on-screen greater than 10.

Third song played if you enter an evac shelter, FEMA camp or school.

Also, as implied by the title, when winter ends. It’s sad but relieving. Something bad has happened and here’s the aftermath.

Second song played when you find an NPC somewhere safe (not in the middle of a town) or the first time you contact somebody on the two-way radio.

First song definitely feels best for the intro screen. Even for chargen.

Haven’t had the opportunity to listen to spookypen, but I’m hoping it’s good. 30MB is a fairly hefty download for my connection!

(IOW: any possibility of these in compressed format?)

[quote=“KA101, post:11, topic:1436”]Haven’t had the opportunity to listen to spookypen, but I’m hoping it’s good. 30MB is a fairly hefty download for my connection!

(IOW: any possibility of these in compressed format?)[/quote]

I tried to compress mine as much as possible, because 10MB is a bit crazy for a 1 minute song, but they still sit at about 1MB a piece. If you’re really interested, I could zip/rar/.7z you up the files, or send you the MIDI’s, for my stuff at least.

[quote=“glloyd, post:12, topic:1436”][quote=“KA101, post:11, topic:1436”]Haven’t had the opportunity to listen to spookypen, but I’m hoping it’s good. 30MB is a fairly hefty download for my connection!

(IOW: any possibility of these in compressed format?)[/quote]

I tried to compress mine as much as possible, because 10MB is a bit crazy for a 1 minute song, but they still sit at about 1MB a piece. If you’re really interested, I could zip/rar/.7z you up the files, or send you the MIDI’s, for my stuff at least.[/quote]

Thanks–yours weren’t a problem though, and I ended up using spookypen’s download-time to start work on the Triffid HQ wiki page, so win-win. Justin Healy’s page doesn’t seem to have a d/l link. Now that’s a dealbreaker. :frowning:

Nothing against Graham Lloyd, but I’m not feeling the vibe that those pieces bring to the table.
The ambiance just doesn’t fit with the games overall themes I’m afraid. It’s much more dramatic,
rather than being foreboding or tense.

While all are interesting in a way or another, I think that so far spookypen seems the more fitting.

Justin Healy’s first section or whatever seems really good for an introduction, but I really don’t care for the instrumentation; seems a bit grating, but with something a little subtler I think the composition is great.

Still, though, spookypen’s takes it for general gameplay. I didn’t even realize that was the tone Cataclysm should have until I listened to it, and then everything fell into place. So yeah, throw me in for that one; I’ll certainly be listening to it while playing for quite some time.

I just listened to Spookypen’s again.

Alright, I think this is the shit. Please put it on the game somehow, right now. Title screen. Ambient. Situational. I don’t care. PUT IT IN.

[quote=“Feckless, post:14, topic:1436”]Nothing against Graham Lloyd, but I’m not feeling the vibe that those pieces bring to the table.
The ambiance just doesn’t fit with the games overall themes I’m afraid. It’s much more dramatic,
rather than being foreboding or tense.[/quote]

Yeah, the piano somehow doesn’t fit by itself–maybe some strings or woodwinds to go with?. Pity, as Graham actually took the time to set up different situational pieces.

Conversely, I have a whole WinAmp list set up that’s much higher-energy & less ambient, already, so I’m not likely to want any of these. :frowning: Adding music is fine, though an “off” option or configurable files would help.

Hi guys,
Long time player/lurker first time poster. I’m currently working on a short film about isolation with a few post apocalyptic themes and just as I was working on the soundtrack I saw the post on homepage. I’m still not quite finished and If I’m honest I’d like to alter it a bit to make it more specifically aimed towards DDA but I’ll almost certainly post it in the next few days if it would be helpful. From listening to the tracks submitted so far, what I’m working on is more ambient and drone like, so in someways it will hopefully tie in quite nicely to the track spookypen submitted.

Yeah, I also like the spookypen dark ambiance stuff the best. It reminds me alot of the background music in DEFCON.

Sampling rain for the background music would be a neat effect too, since it’s constantly frigging raining.