The 55 gallon barell puzzle

Well, i found one of this and i thought “Great, i’ll fill it with water and live forever”. So i filled it with water. Now, how do i get the water out of it ? :stuck_out_tongue:
(hint: it’s too heavy to be handled)

Get the hydraulic muscles CBM and go all strongman on that thing.

Craft Clean Water using it as a component?

I was about to ask a very similar question. I have a ton of gallon jugs of ammonia and bleach. For tidyness’s sake I’d like to transfer these to a pair of steel drums. But such a drum will very quickly get too heavy to hold. Is there any way to tip things into containers on the ground?

Yes, Badger. If you (U)nload them then select nothing you can pour out the contents onto the ground. You will of course need to lift it to do so (but only for a moment).

Important note: Once the liquid is on the ground, you can’t scoop it up again. The exception to this is that you can use ground-liquids as crafting ingredients (in fact, the game seems to prioritize them).

I don’t want to pour it onto the ground though. I want to pour it into the 55 gallon drum, which is on the ground.

maybe if we could (a)ctivate a rubber hose and use it on the barrel then fill another recipient…

Great minds think alike it seems. I was wondering the same thing. A barrel of water … or a barrel of mutagen to craft…

Oh, tip things INTO containers. I misread your original question. Yeah, not that I know of. That functionality would be a cool thing for construction; set up a large container (probably only the 30 or 55 gallon drums) and allow people to fill them with whatever liquid they’ve got around. Also allow drinking straight from them, and filling other containers from them.

Oh, tip things INTO containers. I misread your original question. Yeah, not that I know of. That functionality would be a cool thing for construction; set up a large container (probably only the 30 or 55 gallon drums) and allow people to fill them with whatever liquid they’ve got around. Also allow drinking straight from them, and filling other containers from them.[/quote]

You can already do that, well kinda, but it only works with dirty water. Just unload your containers into a toilet and you can get it back use it to craft and everything.

We should probably add some sort of dolly item that when wielded allows you to carry heavy things (though it would need some technical details worked out).

That said, using liquid components on the ground is most definitely a bug, and should be fixed soon if it isn’t already.

Solution: Don’t use a barrel. Instead, build a “vehicle” in your home base, load it with water tanks, and install a kitchen unit. Then you can effectively drink from the tap whenever you like and also easily fill containers from it.

I load mine with jerry cans filled via funnel and purified with a rechargeable purifier.

[quote=“DG123, post:11, topic:4780”]Solution: Don’t use a barrel. Instead, build a “vehicle” in your home base, load it with water tanks, and install a kitchen unit. Then you can effectively drink from the tap whenever you like and also easily fill containers from it.

I load mine with jerry cans filled via funnel and purified with a rechargeable purifier.[/quote]

That doesn’t work in all situations. It only works with water. There’s also people who want to be able to do stuff with ammonia, bleach, stuff like that. Other liquids. (And come on, who doesn’t want to whip up a 30-gallon barrel filled with mutagen? It can’t just be me :P)

Me too!

[quote=“Waladil, post:12, topic:4780”][quote=“DG123, post:11, topic:4780”]Solution: Don’t use a barrel. Instead, build a “vehicle” in your home base, load it with water tanks, and install a kitchen unit. Then you can effectively drink from the tap whenever you like and also easily fill containers from it.

I load mine with jerry cans filled via funnel and purified with a rechargeable purifier.[/quote]

That doesn’t work in all situations. It only works with water. There’s also people who want to be able to do stuff with ammonia, bleach, stuff like that. Other liquids. (And come on, who doesn’t want to whip up a 30-gallon barrel filled with mutagen? It can’t just be me :P)[/quote]

True. I just use a pile of jugs myself, although I admit it gets annoying.

[quote=“Waladil, post:12, topic:4780”][quote=“DG123, post:11, topic:4780”]Solution: Don’t use a barrel. Instead, build a “vehicle” in your home base, load it with water tanks, and install a kitchen unit. Then you can effectively drink from the tap whenever you like and also easily fill containers from it.

That doesn’t work in all situations. It only works with water. There’s also people who want to be able to do stuff with ammonia, bleach, stuff like that. Other liquids. (And come on, who doesn’t want to whip up a 30-gallon barrel filled with mutagen? It can’t just be me :P)[/quote]

We should be able to install bleach and ammonia tanks on our vehicles, to use with the onboard chemistry lab.

Not a bad idea. Although seeing as crafting now takes stuff from containers, I suspect you could simply put one of the huge drums (empty) onto your vehicle, into a cargo space or something like that, THEN fill it up with bleach or ammonia. And you end up with the same effect.

How would I fill it up though?

I was envisioning picking it up empty, along with a bunch of jugs or something like that, and filling it in your inventory before dropping it in the vehicle.

But I’ve not tried using one myself as yet. Is it impossible due to the volume? I think you could do it regardless of WEIGHT just by taking the pain and sleeping it off.

Edit: WELP. I just looked it up in the crafting menu. over 800 volume?! Well that’s just stupid.

I think your only option would be to wear a ridiculous number of military rucksacks in order to make your volume high enough to carry the barrel and the liquid to fill it with. And oh boy it’ll hurt.

Of course, for WATER, there’s always the option of sticking a funnel in the barrel outside, right? Although I suppose you could only use that water for cooking since you’d have no way of picking it up to purify it… Or indeed getting it out of the damn barrel.

You can hold the thing so you don’t put the damn thing into your pack.

That’s true. So the problems will be the overall weight and the volume of liquid you need to hold to put into it. But I suppose you can do that bit by bit.