Survivor Monsters - Unrelseased [Info and Discussion]

Appreciate the thought. Thanks, Ekarus. :slight_smile:

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:17, topic:7981”]Okay I’m just going to say, that while a lot of these ideas are /really/ creative I can only use stuff that’s already coded into the game. So if you want to be using a gun you’re pretty much limited to behaving like a mobile turret.

For example, FunsizeNinja123 is setup to, on death, use the smoker explode deathstyle. Which means when he “dies” it says “The Funsize Ninja explodes!” But no body is left behind, just the loot and a burst of smoke. Using the “Melt” deathstyle causes the game to crash if you give it loot to spawn.

The game also seems to have a list of which “monster” abilities it uses with a preference, no matter how low I set the cool-down or it’s position in the list “Parrot” is low on that list of preferences and turret attacks are high.

I’ve also noticed an odd trend with my NPC, which is currently using the BMG turret ability, regardless of whether or not it’s listed as “hostile” to you, it still shoots at you. Lots of interesting bugs so far.[/quote]

That’s quite interesting. I guess it’s because it’s turret code?

Yeah, the BMG turret was never intended to be friendly to the player. Can be fixed, but not tonight.

D:

Symbol: @
Description: A jolly looking fellow with a full beard*, extremely long hair in a braid nearly reaching the ground and wearing glasses. He’s dressed in a black trenchcoat and has a large sack over one shoulder.
(let’s go for broke(n), shall we?)
Gear: Granade launcher**, control laptop, Architect’s cube***, Manhacks, None, Existence Annihilator (active)****
Abilities: Reset zombie*****, call robot******
Totally friendly to the player unless attacked. If attacked fall back from the player and use everything but the Existence Annihilator indiscriminately.

*I keep a goatee, but post-cataclysm, that’d go fierce beard real fast, I frequently have to shave twice a day.
**New item, I think you can figure out what it does.
***Artifact that gives long-range clairvoyance, normally only available from debug menu.
****Unique weapon that crashes the game when it detonates, armed and dropped on death.
*****Raise zombie ability as per necromancer, but message references somehow hacking the zombie with the control laptop.
******Summons a random robot to the edge of the map, which then heads for and is friendly to Kevin.

D:

Description: A jolly looking fellow with a full beard*, extremely long hair in a braid nearly reaching the ground and wearing glasses. He’s dressed in a black trenchcoat and has a large sack over one shoulder.
(let’s go for broke(n), shall we?)
Gear: Granade launcher**, control laptop, Architect’s cube***, Manhacks, None, Existence Annihilator (active)****
Abilities: Reset zombie*****, call robot******
Totally friendly to the player unless attacked. If attacked fall back from the player and use everything but the Existence Annihilator indiscriminately.

*I keep a goatee, but post-cataclysm, that’d go fierce beard real fast, I frequently have to shave twice a day.
**New item, I think you can figure out what it does.
***Artifact that gives long-range clairvoyance, normally only available from debug menu.
****Unique weapon that crashes the game when it detonates, armed and dropped on death.
*****Raise zombie ability as per necromancer, but message references somehow hacking the zombie with the control laptop.
******Summons a random robot to the edge of the map, which then heads for and is friendly to Kevin.[/quote]

…My apologies for the spelling error, but you of all people should know how little I can spell.

As for the items… …might actually be able to do some of that with the existing code…

I can crash the game though. I’m good at that. Already figured out how to make it crash on a monster’s death… …so that should be easy enough XD

I think Kevin Gernade just killed Ekarus

granade, grenade small different

1 time i throw granade at group of zombies and BUFFS!

…I am /trying/ to figure out this whole ‘moddable effects’ thing but I am painfully lost.

I have no idea if I was on that list of people, but here’s some stuff in a spoiler tag if yes

[spoiler=because I am feeling awkward]
Name: Edmund Hawkins
E (With white background. use @ if @ looks better or gets confused with a monster I don’t recall.)

Description: This small, labcoat-wearing man looks like all his features have been formed from plant materials, right down to green flesh, birch antlers, and a mossy chinstrap beard. Whether that makes him suitable for vegans is anybody’s guess, but he looks intent on making sure you don’t get to test that.

Make Edmunds like moose. Arbitrarily aggressive, but only when you get too close. They have pretty good hp but don’t go any faster than a normal player.

Edmunds have and release many Hosses. Hosses would actually be a beefier version of manhacks, but the idea of little angry betta fish swarming my targets is hilarious.
Hosses would be & on the map. Or whatever colour shallow water uses.

Edmund himself will also attack with a hatchet, and will throw all sorts of crap (mostly rocks, sometimes hatchets, slightly less often matchhead bombs.)
The only mutations he really needs to function properly are Antlers, for the headbutt. The rest is aesthetic as an npc.

It would be REALLY funny if he had a pool of random dialogue to shout like Mi-Go’s, but I don’t want to write up a pool of phrases at 9am. Maybe I will edit this post.

When an Edmund dies he should drop a Very Reinforced Labcoat, which is like the regular labcoat but it gives more protection and warmth than a regular labcoat and isn’t technically a reinforced item (can be improved via tailoring). Dropping deployable Hosses is also possible, uncommonly matchhead bombs, and rarely one vial plant-flavoured mutagen. He can also drop reading glasses, rum and cola, steel toed boots, dress pants, wool sweater, messenger bag, his hatchet (reinforced somehow if possible), or safety goggles (it’d be funniest if Edmund’s Goggles did nothing.)

He will always drop A Fish Bowl. Butchering Edmunds supplies the player with plant marrow and plant fibre.[/spoiler]

…How did I forget you?

On a related note, so many glorious features, so little time off between work… …I’m thinking I should go slither into a hole and die. XD

I take the inconspicuous trait on character gen.
But also I’m kind of here and then I randomly poof into nonexistence at times. Comes with the schedule these days.

Please don’t die! But taking breaks in those hidey holes might be a good idea :'D
Seriously don’t add the mi-go chatter behaviour unless they pull dialogue from a standalone file you can easily duplicate for an Edmund version. I also realize manhack deploying might be a zombie scientist ability rather than a use item action. If yes, I have no idea of the consequences.

[size=7pt]If I were a coder I’d make an item called THE Fish Bowl, and it’d generate a charge every [large] number of turns that can be activated to deploy a Hoss. No way am I asking that of others LOL too much thinking.[/size]

Manhack deploying is like, just a simple tag. The weird creatures are kinda not possible to get now, only manhacks.

Mi go chatter is incredibly easy though!

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:1, topic:7981”]I need something of character ‘forms’ from
HunterAlpha1, John Candlebury, RivetTheZombie, and half a dozen others who I can’t remember at the moment but will remember the moment I click ‘post’ and feel bad about for the rest of the night.[/quote]

Name: Rivet
Description: A smiling woman clad in heavy handcrafted armor. Her glowing red eyes and dry, ashen skin are a bit offputting, but she seems friendly.
Gear: Full survivor armor/toolbelt, huge backup handgun, large collection of medical supplies and recreational substances, sack full of nones.
Abilities: Very fast and skilled in hand-to-hand combat, specializing in Krav Maga and boxing. Resurrects like a zombie and is made of tainted flesh.
Tends to wander in and out, and will not remain in an area for very long. Friendly to the player unless attacked. Gives hungry/thirsty players food/drink. Occasionally gives nice players random stuff, usually survivorcraft equipment. If attacked, she will defend herself.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:32, topic:7981”]Manhack deploying is like, just a simple tag. The weird creatures are kinda not possible to get now, only manhacks.

Mi go chatter is incredibly easy though![/quote]

:open_mouth:
This gives me hope!

I really need to re-read how to pull a version of cata and compile it myself so I can run something I’m able to tinker with. I get the feeling I’m not seeing everything I’d like that’s available to be edited with just the downloadable experimental. I also really, really don’t have the time to prioritize learning the shape of Cataclysm’s code to even know what I can edit.

If manhack summoning is it’s own tag, I assume that tag must be calling on a chunk of code from somewhere else. Is it possible to create a duplicate of each, and tweak the new tag to only summon the hoss-edited duplicate? I would do it just to learn a thing or two, but I do not know where to look.

In the next break I take from my assignment, I’ll have a go at some dialogue and edit this post for it instead.

“Pbplbplbt.”
“Man, you know what I miss? Making fart jokes.”
“Hoss are you even listening?”
“Hoss, look at this!”
“Psst, Hoss. You awake?”
“Hoss.”
“Hoss, wake up.”
“Weeoo!”
“Doo dee dooo.”
“Pum, pumma pum pum Pum!”
“Nana nana nana nana!”
“DUN DUN DUNNN!”
“Dun-dun, dun dun DUN dun dada dun!”
“Damnit I have GOT to stop talking to myself.”
“A Canadian with antlers. I mean, what are the odds?”
“We should try scavenging for tea. Like, REAL tea.”
“I want tea now.”
“D’you think that would be cannibalism if I ate plants?”
“Potatos don’t count.”
“I am definitely not a potato.”
“SON OF A BIRCH!”
“They said I could be anything. Somehow, I don’t think they meant a tree.”
“A hatchet’s a good weapon, I don’t care if they’re for treecutting.”
“Look it’s not like I’m ACTUALLY related to trees.”
“I still don’t think the regular plants have feelings.”
“Nobody around for miles, I could just burp forever. Nobody would care.”
“Do you think anyone cares?”
“Do YOU care?”
“Do fish burp? Is that a thing?”
“Is that even a thing?”
“Sometimes I wonder if there are still edible twinkies out there.”
“No, like, those little spongecake rolls with the filling?”
“Honestly they weren’t even that great, just crappy cake thingies.”
“Right, never mind. Forgot fish don’t have those.”
“My beard is itchy.”
“Hang on, my antler’s caught on something-”
“HEY DO YOU HAVE ANY TEA?”
“I don’t care what kind of tea, any’s good.”
“Or cheese?”
“Cheese is also good.”
“Really miss cheese too.”
“Okay Hoss, if we ever find cheese, you get to try it first.”
“Hehe.”
“Pfft.”
“HAH!”
“HAH! Good one.”
“Snrk!”
“lol!”
“No, I did not just say lol unironically.”
“Aww. I just remembered I don’t have internet.”
“Man, I should draw some of the stuff we’ve seen.”
“Did we find pencils? I forget.”
“Look the world’s over, I can have the occasional smoke.”
“Yes I’ll put the cig out when I’m done!”
“You’re a fish Hoss, not smoky the bear. Don’t worry about it.”
“So who’s cooking dinner tonight, you or me?”
“It’s a can of beans either way, so…”
“Hoss get back here!”
“Warn me before you jump out of your bowl, Hoss!”
“Aah! You got water on my sweater!”
“Jeeze your bowl weighs a lot.”
“God I better not lose these leaves come autumn.”
“Welp, the rum is gone.”
"No idea how that happened."
someone chattering to stave off boredom.
someone supplying their own sound effects.
someone muttering sarcastically.
someone laughing at his own bad joke.
a burp.
someone belching loudly just to prove a point.
someone having a giggle.
a tiny splash.
water sloshing in something.
a lighter flick, followed by someone exhaling.
a distinct lack of tea.

And Ninja must be hostile to everything. Even the other survivor monsters. Just because.

Oh good, I’m not the only one hostile to the player then… XD

Eoah, Pth, that would make this mod way more professional d:

I definitely want my monster to be hostile. Also, it should constantly parrot varying amounts of moos, a la diablo 2 cow level.

Looks like a fun idea!

@

John Candlebury.
Description: An average looking survivor wearing a strange looking jacket. (John needs a better description badly)
Behavior: Hostile and overconfident.
Abilities:
-If possible, make his attacks have a high chance of stunning the player.
-Moderately fast at around 120 speed.
-Hit and run tag.
-Annoying bleed attacks.
-If possible give him a ridiculous attack that only triggers when you have very low health.
John throws his baseball cap at you for 2 damage!
You die!

Drops: Baseball cap, cargo pants, light jacket and a *survivor’s machete.

*The same stats as the machete, but with the “RAPID” “BRUTAL” and “PRECISE” attack flags.

Can I add Ann to the list?
So that they spawn together and we can have one of those funny (annoying) dual boss fights.

John Candlebury
Hostile!
It is uninjured.
An average if noodly survivor wearing a strange looking jacket and an abundantly pink ballcap on their head. Aw man, the noodly ones always turn out to be really dangerous for some reason, you just know it. It’s those eyes, man. Actually, it’s probably the machete. Definitely the machete.

Also I edited my last post to include a whole ton of stupid dialogue.