[Suggestion] Tobacco & co. expansion

[glow=red,2,300]New Buildings:[/glow]
-Tobacco shop
Small shop containing lottery tickets(good for starting a fire), lighters, candy, batteries and lots of cigarettes.

[glow=yellow,2,300]New smoking mechanics & items:[/glow]
-Lighting a cigarette will put it in your worn items and will have a charge that will deplete over time, you can still take it off any time.
-While smoking a cigarette you will produce a thin cloud of smoke every 3-4 turns.
-Cigarettes will have a strong scent that will attract wildlife animals.
-You can disassemble a cigarette and obtain paper, tobacco, filter.
-You can craft a cigarette with the items above.
-You can craft a filter-less cigarette if you are missing a filter, though this cigarette will make you cough.
-If you are addicted you will no longer cough while smoking.
-The filter may be used in crafting a water purifier(?), a handmade gas mask ecc… using the survival skill.

[glow=blue,2,300]New tobacco products:[/glow]
-Cigarettes will come in small boxes, each box will have a brand (for some more immersion)
eg.
Small box of cigarettes(20).
The word DROMEDARY is written of the box and underneath you see the homonymous animal walking in the desert.
They have a fantastic smell.

Small box of cigarettes(20).
Balmoro, It’s a pretty famous brand.
It’s cheap tobacco and smells horribly.

-Cigarillos, lasts about 10 minutes and have stronger effects than cigarettes, they will produce more smoke.
-Cigars, lasts 15-20 minutes, they are very strong and if not addicted you will have a very high chance of coughing.
-Loose tobacco, a paper wrap with tobacco inside.
-Small box of Cigarette paper.
-Plastic bag of filters.

So tell me what you think.

EDIT: Sorry for the puns made with brand names :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t want the cloud effect. Why? Because reguardless of your addiction, you will cough when entering a smoke cloud without a mask. And I don’t want “Do you want to step into that smoke cloud” pop up all the time.

But I like the rest. +1.

I agree on the smoke cloud gameplay issues, though the immersive intent was sound. I do like that this changed cigs so their behaviour isn’t like I sucked the whole thing to ash in one turn and then I’m good for a while. S’a little weird.

From personal experience, a decent cigar last waaay longer than 20 minutes, but then quality impacts that a lot.

If coughing is still as loud as goddamn flashbangs then this addiction is gonna be one helluva tricky one haha. I don’t know how to do it since cigs don’t give off any light you can see by, but the glowing end is a dead giveaway somebody’s there if it’s dark. Might be more relevant for hostile npc’s spotting you - I don’t know that zombies or wildlife would be smart enough to pay attention to that.

Would also like to note, it’d take a couple fistfuls of little cig filters to make enough to argue their use in a jerry rigged gasmask filter.

Well maybe they can be used to create a filtered funnel that will clean rainwater right away while in use.

Hahaha, hey that’s possible too. I think there’s merit to their use as a gasmask filter component, I just think you’d need at least a whole pack of cigs worth of the things.

Those plastic bag of filters would be gold!

No. I quit smoking. Go away, Phillip Morris.

Cancer will kill you.

I like it!

I have a few suggestions:

I think tobacco shops were already mentioned, maybe have cigarette rollers? Using them, if you have tubes and tobacco, would make 2/3 per use instead of 1.

A new perk, “Cowboy Killer”- You get bonus moral for smoking filterless cigs and a negative for smoking anything else.

Folks, smoking killed Morton Downey Jr…

If anything, there should be more types of ganja.

Not a single casualty.

Also, add drug purity system. Bath tub crank shouldn’t be the same as chem-lab crank.

[quote=“TheGrifter, post:9, topic:4701”]Folks, smoking killed Morton Downey Jr…

If anything, there should be more types of ganja.

Not a single casualty.

Also, add drug purity system. Bath tub crank shouldn’t be the same as chem-lab crank.[/quote]

Gah, please no anti-tobacco shit lol.

Hey, I’m no saint myself. I caught pneumonia from the damned things, and decided to quit “sick turkey” style. Been clean for almost a year.

Funny thing is, I don’t use them in Cataclysm because it triggers an urge.

But that’s personal. It’d be hypocritical for me to suggest to expand the drug system and to deny the tobacco expansion.
Maybe I’m wrong to advocate against it, but tobacco is the Native American’s revenge on the white man.

We gave them smallpox, they gave us cancer.

[quote=“duke455, post:1, topic:4701”]The word DROMEDARY is written of the box and underneath you see the homonymous animal walking in the desert.

Balmoro, It’s a pretty famous brand.[/quote]

well the Cata devs haven’t seemed too bothered by brand names elsewhere, why start now?

No corporate stoogery.

Code in a cancer disease if you increase the amount of cigarette types and buffs. Disease needs a big overhaul anyway.

Lol code in cancer…

Anti-personal freedoms, TheGrifter, ladies and gents’!

[quote=“DrPepperNapalm, post:13, topic:4701”][quote=“duke455, post:1, topic:4701”]The word DROMEDARY is written of the box and underneath you see the homonymous animal walking in the desert.

Balmoro, It’s a pretty famous brand.[/quote]

well the Cata devs haven’t seemed too bothered by brand names elsewhere, why start now?[/quote]

Huh. IIRC the devs nixed Mountain Dew, in favor of “energy cola”. Most all the brand names are in holdover magazines: Playboy, TIME, US Weekly, Top Gear, and Guns & Ammo come to mind. I can genericize those easily enough. Firearm designations are another troublesome area, but we’ll cover that in time.

(The new magazines from Rivet were genericized: “Glamopolitan” gets the point across, as does “Alpha Male Quarterly”.)

There’s still an item id called “colamdew” in the json files, I guess that was never changed.

[quote=“Clayton, post:15, topic:4701”]Lol code in cancer…

Anti-personal freedoms, TheGrifter, ladies and gents’![/quote]
Please, let’s not start a debate over smoking, of all things. That said, I think expanding the drug and disease systems (including smoking) to be more realistic is a good idea.

There’s still an item id called “colamdew” in the json files, I guess that was never changed.

[quote=“Clayton, post:15, topic:4701”]Lol code in cancer…

Anti-personal freedoms, TheGrifter, ladies and gents’![/quote]
Please, let’s not start a debate over smoking, of all things. That said, I think expanding the drug and disease systems (including smoking) to be more realistic is a good idea.[/quote]

*KA101 adds the Surgeon General’s Warning to the iuse (not really)

Yeah, I think it got changed in the item name but not the id: most folks wouldn’t see the id anyway, so no worries.

Let’s just not start putting advertisements for actual tobacco products in the game.

That sort of thing is a drag.

Or we can turn this into Cataclysm:MRLBRO, have the protagonist always spawn with a pack of specifically-Marlboro brand cigarettes that make you invincible and give 100 morale boost and 200 movement speed. Make ketchup a vegetable, and paint over the spot where Kurt Cobain blew his brains out. Including free advertising for an industry that thrives on slow death of it’s consumer base is diametrically opposed to the spirit of this project.

Hell, have Budweiser beer, Jack Daniels whiskey, Jose Cuervo tequila, TGI Fridays, polished brass recovered from the wreck of the Titanic. Have “brought to you by Monsanto” in all the descriptions for food. Hey, folks, loot a PS4 ingame and receive a 1% discount towards buying a real one. UK not included.

“Why not?”, you ask.

Dear God, why would you want that?

So to clarify, you don’t want brand names in the game? Or am I missing a deeper point, something about marketing and capitalism?