[Suggestion] Tobacco & co. expansion

I don’t understand this need to overstate an issue with such extreme examples that it sounds like a way bigger accusation than is actually happening. It’s got a history of leading to thread derailment these past couple months.

Point made though, so we’ve got some brand names and some genericized brand names and you don’t want real commercialized shit in the game.

I am, personally, for generic versions. I think there’s enough cues that this is New England that we can leave specific product branding out and it won’t affect the gaming experience.

Besides, I find the rebrands amusing without breaking immersion, and that, to me, is a good thing.

Brand names should be avoided where they don’t really add anything, I think. Otherwise I like the suggestion.

I think there is a lot more flavor and character in fictional, made for DDA brand names.

Like how Fallout did it with Nuka-Cola and RobCo and stuff like that.

[quote=“Clayton, post:23, topic:4701”]I think there is a lot more flavor and character in fictional, made for DDA brand names.

Like how Fallout did it with Nuka-Cola and RobCo and stuff like that.[/quote]

I agree.

I would have no problem with someone appropriating Tarantino’s fictional “Red Apple” brand cigarettes.

But as soon as we’re advertising real products, it’s whoring ourselves out to corporate chains and such.

Now, I used to smoke, and cigarette companies are some of the most vile scum-suckers on the face of the Earth.

We need a new classic-mode zombie: The corporate executive zombie. You blast him and he has like twenty bundles of cash that’s now worthless as anything besides kindling. A gore coated Armani suit, it’s high thread count enduring the stress tests of the apocalypse. He needs a cellular telephone that weighs six pounds and gives you radiation poisoning. And furthermore, he needs a consumeristic single minded zombielike mindset that will require no changes to any coding at all.

Heh, yeah. Duff Beer has to be one of the most popular brands that doesn’t exist - except I think somebody made a spinoff product - so we can totally capitalize on the fictional status of the game to have some fun.

I don’t view it as “whoring out” to these corporations, but that’s because we have no contract with the companies netting us money in exchange for advertising product on their behalf.

I do agree that we gain nothing from using real bands instead of fictional ones. Even without smoking, I completely agree that big tobacco is is full of scummy business practices, and for that reason - perhaps we would be better off avoiding including their namesake products. I know damn well some companies also like to get in a fuss about how their product is portrayed when used by another, for any reason, so heavens forbid Cataclysm-DDA gain enough popularity to catch their attention and we just get unwanted drama. (That’s why there was no Barbie in the original Toy story - they didn’t want to risk their product being associated with a potential flop movie.) Super unlikely I think, but who wants some corporation dictating crap to you about how you showcase their product? Lame.

I kinda like the corporate zombie idea, but nix on the Armani. If we’re disassociating from real brandnames, we’re doin’ it across the board. It’d make me smile to see a similar zombie though, next time I’m bumbling by an office building XD

Pretty much with Pthalocy here, not whoring-out, but avoid unnecessary drama. A game world with its own history, culture feels more vibrant anyway.

Grifter, I don’t know what you have against tobacco companies. I don’t approve them, but bringing them into the game as enemy to kill/target practice is not cool. I’d rather we stick to the fictional zombie theme with fictional names (L4D comes to mind) than real world companies and people.

Howzabout we not have any game killing brand names huh?

The Armani comment was a bit of hippocritical humor. But a corporate zombie would be nice to blow away with a twelve gauge.

I’d like to get back to tobacco&stuff discussion.

We’ve already have a tobacco pipes in game (0.9 stable release). Would pipe tobacco (and ability to smoke a pipe) be added ? Personally I don’t smoke, but imagining my char puffing a tobacco pipe, while reading some good book, near warm fireplace… that looks pretty good for post-apocalypse adventure )

Delish. Probably don’t need a “this is bad for you” warning on this one, hm?

Re hypocritical humour: Yeahhh I kinda figured, but if I had responded with hypocritical humour myself it might have gotten confusing to tease apart from the legit points later in discussion XD

Re: Slax’s suggested brand: makes me grin hahaha! That’s the kind of fun I’m talking about.

Re tobacco for pipes: I misspelled that as ‘popes’ originally and had myself an extra chuckle. But seriously, pipe tobacco is different enough it’d be nice to see included too. I’d want it to be differentiated via game stats too though, and I’m not experienced enough to give suggestions as to how. Pipes lack filters by default, right?

No problem with pipe tobacco.

Just as long as it’s not a real brand.

Make it exploited injun brand and it’s fine.
Hell, call em “Sacajawea” brand. Even if it makes no sense.

Stewie’s Chewy Gooey!
Chewing tobacco with an extra kick of nicotine to keep you going (and feed your addiction) plus a sprinkle of legal THC derivatives… for that happy, brown smile.
(Warning! May cause intense paranoia, hallucinations or tremors.)

Yum yum yum! Really, just make some shit up.
Warning labels welcome.
[size=6pt]And do feel free to add lung cancer, smoker’s cough and other “fun” symptoms for veteran smokers, because why not?![/size]

[quote=“Slax, post:33, topic:4701”]Stewie’s Chewy Gooey!
Chewing tobacco with an extra kick of nicotine to keep you going (and feed your addiction) plus a sprinkle of legal THC derivatives… for that happy, brown smile.
(Warning! May cause intense paranoia, hallucinations or tremors.)

Yum yum yum! Really, just make some shit up.
Warning labels welcome.
[size=6pt]And do feel free to add lung cancer, smoker’s cough and other “fun” symptoms for veteran smokers, because why not?![/size][/quote]

Because lung cancer, smoker’s cough and other rare side effects from cigs…doesn’t…effect…everyone?

Hell, I’m a smoker and I don’t have lung cancer, smoker’s cough and my teeth are even nice and well maintained!

But I see where you guys are going with this: next lets add in some “D.A.R.E.” posters and t-shirts along with some nice public service announcements about the dangers of tobacco lol.

Rivet the safety zombie sez:

Don’t do drugs, kids. More for me that way.

Here. Have an inner monologue of your average cataclysm survivor.

If cancer makes it in I request that smoked meat also causes it.