The Great Comestible expansion

I am currently on the way to adding more foods/drinks/meds. What new comestibles should be added?

What about:

2 liter coke bottles.
More salty snack variety, doritos-like, cheetos-like.
Fish, sushi.
Meat inside plastic bags.

[quote=“Sidower, post:2, topic:2647”]What about:

2 liter coke bottles.
Fish, sushi.
Meat inside plastic bags.[/quote]

Sushi 5 days after the Apocalypse? Good luck with that.

[quote=“Scheuche, post:3, topic:2647”][quote=“Sidower, post:2, topic:2647”]What about:

2 liter coke bottles.
Fish, sushi.
Meat inside plastic bags.[/quote]

Sushi 5 days after the Apocalypse? Good luck with that.[/quote]

Sewer Fish are edible. Sushi after a sewer crawl? I guess, if you’re really into sushi.

off the top of my head, there could certainly be more drugs to find at the end of the world.
some could be

ecstasy - major morale bonus, maybe suppresses appetite. considerable negative morale penalties once comedown, making it tempting to keep using. thus inducing addiction.
lsd/acid - hallucinations such as mushrooms, except longer and/or more intense.
DMT - also hallucinations, but about 1/4 of the length of mushrooms.
hash oil/ hash - other forms of marijuana, bigger morale bonus but needs hotplate(or RV kitchen) and butter or steak knife to use.

might come back and edit this if I think of more.

Steroids: slowly increase one’s strength at the expense of other stats
Bath salts: Character becomes AI controlled, but completely ignores pain for a short while as well as gaining a damage boost with melee
GHB: In half an hour, you are out for at least a few hours. Sleeping pills on steroids.
Ecstasy: Incredible morale boost, but you lose control of your character until it wears off.
Ketamine: Completely negates pain, but you will hallucinate your balls off (make a “map” appear that they think they are moving in)
PCP: Large speed increase if taken once, but drops dexterity to 1. Repeated doses=death.

In other news, I’m rather surprised the military hasn’t started to openly use combat drugs. Variations or mixes of a lot of illegal drugs could, theoretically, maintain the increased heart rate, metabolic response (basically, they don’t tire and can move faster), and pain numbness, without the complete psychosis. Wouldn’t be particularly hard research, even in the current animal rights climate.

Neat ideas, but they are all drugs. What about, ya know, food?

Food that you can cook with weed, like “hash”-brownies xD

IIRC, methamphetamine was developed specifically for the use of Japanese soldiers in World War 2. And I think cocaine was widely used by Americans during WWII/Korea/Vietnam. And a side note relating to drugs, but hopefully not to combat, a shit load of my friends in the military still smoke weed.

I found a marijuana grow room in a basement the other day in my starting town haha, that was funny.

BUT back on topic…I think there should be a lot more crafting varieties for food that has already been implemented into the game. Like being able to make tomato sauce, spaghetti and meatballs (yes yes I have read Cucina Italiana or whatever and I don’t have 50 cans of red sauce). Also…we should be able to make “special” baked goods. I don’t know about you guys, but if I was in Cataclysm and I’d cleared a town and had plenty of time to just relax and do whatever I wanted, I would be high as fuck. All the time.

Some more interesting less perishable food would be good, Salami, smoked meats, 2 min noodles (ramen noodle/megoring), Drying machine to dry meats/fruit/veggis, fruit leather, pickled fruits/veggies/meat.
Cooking oil could be used for heaps of things, make it or find it in kitchens.
Marinated cooked meats, would be easy to think some stuff up to get piles of new simple crafting recipies, garlic, chilli, wine, beer, bbq sauce etc for marinades.
Other cooking stuff, you could just open a cookbook, there arent many craftable foods atm. Why not have squirrel with berry and forcemeat stuffing in orange sauce for dinner and strawberry tartlets for dessert? Problem with the current cooking as stated above, you are probably never going to have the stuff you need, so the obvious solution is a wide variety of recipies.

Drinks are a bit harder, Wine is an obvious one. Maybe some sort of gatorade thats a little better than water? You could just go the whole hog and try and put everything in though. Idea: some friends managed to get some crazy Thai hardcore version of red bull, apart from being serious wakeup juice (I shook every time I drank it) the main ingredient was ‘nicotinamide’, put in something like that ><

Oh, and combat drugs? Happening all over the place, has been for years. Apart from japan, Germany had most of their people hopped up on amphetamines (including hitler) a large part of the time. Those 50km/day advances in russia they kept up for days or weeks at a time? Plenty of guys still had to do that on foot. Military cant do that unless they are running 24 hours a day, and they arent doing that unless they are on the goofballs.
US gives their pilots especially amfs (the 500 sorties a day or whatevs they fly, they dont have 500 guys to do that). Pilots are apparently not allowed to fly out without taking their wakeup drugs at times. Ive read stuff about special forces using them a bit and other stuff about officers walking round with bags of pills handing them out.
Sadly, no crazy bezerker drugs though.

What about energy bars that give you a very slight, temporary speed increase and slightly satisfy hunger? Or even glucose tablets that could improve metabolism temporarily (possibly even a slight increase in INT/PER depending on balance of course)?

Brownies that open magical doors to the Adamantium pits Zombie Hordes.

Believe in cataclysm we just call them doors.

I like this idea.

Well, if we’re to have proper dishes and complete meals, we oughta have farming.
Lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, corn… we can’t just throw in salted and pickled ones and expect ‘em to be the same dish. Also - venison, bear and boar meat and even lil’ bunnies stakes take different seasoning to achieve a satisfactory effect.

Staple grains ought to still be good for a while. 40-lb sack of oats/rice, anyone?

Hot chocolate powder? Add water + heat and serve

Ramen noodles! Staple to students and survivors. (It lasts awhile so it might be)

Breakfast cereal! Not as good without a nice cold glass of milk, but still good.

Marshmallows: Mallow baby! Marsh-mallow, mallow, MALLOW! (Yay thumbs! get the reference?)

Caffeinated candy/chocolate: like coffee but no cooking, I have had them they taste really good.

powdered milk: No-where near as good as normal milk, but it ‘kind of’ tastes like it

Irradiated foods? Due to all the… Glasses on Fallout. What could possibly go wrong?

smoked fish/ fish jerky: all the fish have died I guess, but these were caught before the Shitake mushrooms hit the fan.

Speaking of: Mushroom soup: For those that survived the mushroom war.

Cat food: dry or wet, it’s still cat food.

Powdered juice: + clean water: not as good as fresh, but still good. Mostly sugar though so not healthy…

Quinaou: Like rice but with far more protein and WAY more filling, sold in plastic bags (Large ones) and lasts for months.

And thats all I got for now!

Yup, grains and dried food may still be out there but in smaller quantities, because - the way I think about it, in the original Cataclysm scenario, they were the first to be taken away. MREs, to my knowledge of storing and serving food, aren’t that dehydrated (they’re to go) but general army supplies are.

Altough, one could take into concern the need for irrigation. As the water sources were compromised, water is irradiated and polluted. I mean, it’s ok to purify a small ammount and drink it yourself, or give it to a small animal. There’s nothing wrong with receiving a very limited ammount of radiation. But continually feeding a confined square of ground with rads through liquid - dunno, either the persistent (at the time) systems for deploying water would have to be re-done, or essentially nothing would grow until it develops genetic mutations due to random changes at (or similar to) the molecular level.
So, any ideas? How much cubic feet of fairly compressed soil would you need to unload to your backyard and start growing post-cataclysmic greens? And, where’d you get the uncontaminated earth and minerals?

Some survival alternatives to conventional medical equipment might be nice, or hell just more medical stuff.

A suture kit for example (and improvised version) which stops bleeding and speeds recovery times (a temporary healing rate boost or something?).

Something like a honey poultice which has a mild analgesic effect (pain reduction) and also speeds recovery (but more slowly, yet stackable with the suture kit). The manufactured version could be something like a self-adhesive infused bandage or something with a clotting agent and topical anesthetic on it, would work much better than rags and help with pain and recovery again, the painkiller effect would have no addictive qualities either.

Stuff like that could make medicine more interesting, having a good variety of equipment and training would allow you to heal much faster from wounds if they’re heavily treated with the right equipment. High quality medical equipment should be very valuable, either because it’s easy to use (in the case of the self adhesive infused bandage) while also being comparatively powerful, or because it’s incredibly potent (such as a suture kit providing a very good healing rate boost) while requiring medical skill to use (stitching yourself up is hard).

[quote=“Jotun, post:19, topic:2647”]Some survival alternatives to conventional medical equipment might be nice, or hell just more medical stuff.

A suture kit for example (and improvised version) which stops bleeding and speeds recovery times (a temporary healing rate boost or something?).

Something like a honey poultice which has a mild analgesic effect (pain reduction) and also speeds recovery (but more slowly, yet stackable with the suture kit). The manufactured version could be something like a self-adhesive infused bandage or something with a clotting agent and topical anesthetic on it, would work much better than rags and help with pain and recovery again, the painkiller effect would have no addictive qualities either.

Stuff like that could make medicine more interesting, having a good variety of equipment and training would allow you to heal much faster from wounds if they’re heavily treated with the right equipment. High quality medical equipment should be very valuable, either because it’s easy to use (in the case of the self adhesive infused bandage) while also being comparatively powerful, or because it’s incredibly potent (such as a suture kit providing a very good healing rate boost) while requiring medical skill to use (stitching yourself up is hard).[/quote]

Yeah, The Darkling Wolf wanted full-on MGS3 healing interface back in the day. I’m not sure why a sewing kit & heat source (sterilize the needle!) couldn’t work OK for survival suturing. (Probably some reason, but I don’t know it.)