Since the world is persistent, shouldn't the date be too?

I was just thinking about how the world is persistent, but the date you start at isn’t. I think that the date you start at should be the date your last character died, or the current time for your living characters in that world.

It’d certainly be a vaid option, the problem is with our plans for progressive difficulty the game would quickly become unplayable, and resetting the difficulty stuff just because you started a new character doesn’t make sense…

Also it’s equally nonsensical, you start with a survivor 5 months into the cataclysm, but for them it happened 5 days ago?

GlyphGryph and I were talking about making an exclusion zone around a player, where it spawns new characters far enough away from old characters that by the time they could reach the area where the previous character was, enough time wold have passed that the new character’s timline will have caught up with the old character’s.

Of course both of these options also break the “massively single-player” thing we have going now.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:4107”]It’d certainly be a vaid option, the problem is with our plans for progressive difficulty the game would quickly become unplayable, and resetting the difficulty stuff just because you started a new character doesn’t make sense…

Also it’s equally nonsensical, you start with a survivor 5 months into the cataclysm, but for them it happened 5 days ago?

GlyphGryph and I were talking about making an exclusion zone around a player, where it spawns new characters far enough away from old characters that by the time they could reach the area where the previous character was, enough time wold have passed that the new character’s timline will have caught up with the old character’s.

Of course both of these options also break the “massively single-player” thing we have going now.[/quote]

Ya, this is why I like how .9 allows you to have different worlds. I want a different character per world, because no matter the circumstance, it wouldn’t play right to have two of my characters operating in the same area. It’s weird enough that a character spawned after I die can grab all the loot from my previous character if he spawns close enough. Like, what has this character been doing all this time?

When this happens, I imagine that my character is aware he’s been reincarnated, but has no idea how or why.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:2, topic:4107”]It’d certainly be a vaid option, the problem is with our plans for progressive difficulty the game would quickly become unplayable, and resetting the difficulty stuff just because you started a new character doesn’t make sense…

Of course both of these options also break the “massively single-player” thing we have going now.[/quote]

Thanks for this info. I’m glad i know the reason why, now. It does make sense to reset the time, but what if you make a setting for world gen that disables progressive difficulty, so that it’s the same difficulty for the whole time? Like making a selectable difficulty, i.e. easy, medium, hard, progressive? That would fix the problem with new characters.

Regarding the time difference in when the cataclysm started, couldn’t you just assume that the newer characters stayed at the evac shelters longer? The contents of evac shelters already vary greatly, so why couldn’t one evac shelter have more supplies than another?

I also think it would be cool to let you retire characters once npcs get fixed. You could turn your character into an npc, and get them to join your party.