Samscale's Tiles

As you may or may not know I have recently been working on a tileset with some other members of the DDA forum community.

We were doing well, but the thread sort of died. So I’ve dropped out and decided to go solo. This is a huge project to take on, but I am willing. I hope this will provide a variant of the default tiles and with tile support just around the corner now couldn’t be a better time. Once the majority of the tileset is complete I am considering offering mod support to the modders out there, but that’s a while off yet.

I have hundreds of sprites to make and have to balance spriting with school work and social life so the thread may stay quiet for a while, but I will attempt to keep it updated.

I hope you will like what I make and enjoy playing with the tileset once it is done. Thank you

And thank you for the effort.

If you want to really get the community behind you on this one, start giving us little teasers! Post a few sprites, dude.

Since GalenEvil has mentioned something about multi skins or variant skins for each monster to give some variety I am making monsters with 5 variant skins. I have created this DeviantArt website to keep you all up to date with the art work. I know the backgrounds all need to be made transparent, but I will do that once I have finished all the monsters. After monsters I will work on terrain tiles.

Here is the Deviant Art Page http://samscale1.deviantart.com/

multi skins will only be supported later on as a cool feature i think he said

It should be not long after the initial release. So Im working on it anyway. It’ll save me some time in the long run

They’re looking pretty good, however one suggestion would to have the moose different shades of brown, considering i’ve never seen a white or red moose, same with the rabbits i’ve never seen a red rabbit, unless during the cataclysm some have mutated to camouflage themselves as a defence mechanism, however a white moose is pretty much a caribou.

The red animals do actually exist. As does the white moose. And wait, theres a difference between a moose and caribou? There is no red moose either. Its 2 browns, 2 whites and a grey one.

I’m REALLLY excited for this, a huge thanks from me and everyone else that awaits your tileset with baited breath. I love this game, but I’ll love it even more when there are tiles that are even in height and length. HUGELY appreciate you taking this on. If there’s ever a time you need any help, just let me know.

Thanks for the support. Im currently working on the zombies as generic animals got kinda boring. Expect a huge zombie upload on deviantart soon.

Theres not much of a difference besides size, the antlers and there aggresiveness but yeah they’re different (Caribou tastes different as well, similar texture though.)

are you able to use any of the tiles from the original tileset for the old game? seems like there are several people working on tiles. how about everyone work together on this?

to make tiles do you literally have to use a tool to create the art for each one or can you find existing ones on the web? If so what tool do you use. just curious.

[quote=“youtoo, post:12, topic:2605”]are you able to use any of the tiles from the original tileset for the old game? seems like there are several people working on tiles. how about everyone work together on this?

to make tiles do you literally have to use a tool to create the art for each one or can you find existing ones on the web? If so what tool do you use. just curious.[/quote]

I can’t use any of the original tiles because Deon created those and he is making a new tileset as well. We actually originally tried making a collaborative tileset already, but the topic died as several people vanished for a while. GalenEvil basically restarted the tiles work by saying support was close. Lots of people dropped out so I decided to go solo. Also I use paint, and I’ll probably use something else (Not sure what yet) to remove the white background from paint. I draw everything from nothing, but I do use the internet for references on how the animal/item/terrain could look.

I prefer to work on a tileset alone because it’s easier to update and work on the same style this way, however if you need some tiles, you can grab them.

Thanks. I might use them as inspiration, but I wont outright take any.

For anyone wondering. This set is dead. Pretty much. I gave up. The task got too big and combined with real life issues I just failed. However… I might be back at a later date. It depends how motivated I can get. It would help I knew a bit more about how to test tiles and hoe motivated I can get. I have exams coming up very soon so don’t expect anything in the near future but after exams I might reappear on the tileset front. I tip my hat to all the other artists out there and I will say adios to this set. Anything on deviantart is free for the taking. I won’t be using it again. Also what size are thetiles by default?

I think 16x16.

Good luck with the exams, really, hope we can see it done some day, if you want.

Thanks. I might be working on it in my spare time. Is there a way to get a full list of everything
(Mobs, Tiles, items, effects(blood, boomer bile etc), liquids, and everything else)?