Cataclysm: DDA: Tiles: Part One: The port

Hello,

I ported Gremour’s tileset support for Cataclysm 0.1.6 to Cataclysm DDA

It’s very beta-ish test-ish work in progress-ish.

First: You need to get a tileset to use this, I tested with Deon’s tileset from Gremour’s thread ( http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1170.0 )
In the tileset archive you’ll find the data folder, in there, copy all the files that you don’t already have in your own data folder (we don’t want 0.1.6 keymaps)

Secondly: you need to compile this with ‘make tiles’.

On Linux Mint 14, I just had to install mesa-common-devel and libglu1-dev to get to to compile. It might be different for your distro.

On Windows/cygwin, I ran out of luck. No cygwin OpenGL package was able to provide the correct headers/libs. Maybe someone more cygwin-savvy can tell us how to get opengl/openglu/freeglut/etc. libs that work

There are a few notable bugs

[ul][li]Resizing the window or changing the options for the height/width doesn’t expand the usable screen[/li]
[li]Horizontal walls (and potentially other horizontal things) don’t have their texture[/li]
[li]Using the “move view” (HJKL) and “look around” (:wink: functions doesn’t move the screen with the pointer (and other weird stuff, like npcs flying off the screen)[/li][/ul]

And of course there are a few things that don’t have any icon (like a cleaned out bashed window)

You are the hero that DDA deserves, and the one it needs right now - SO glad someone is picking up the tile support. Tiles are surefire way of making the game approachable/the community much bigger :smiley:

Assuming we can get someone to draw tiles. Because I sure as hell won’t be. And I won’t be holding up development to wait for someone to either :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe Deon said he was still interested in working on tiles if the game ever supported them again, so that is an option. Someone might want to mention it to him. :wink:

Dropped him a line over on B12. (As I know he’s more active there.)

Great, amazing! Lets have tiles downloads!

Someone? :smiley:

Does the “horizontal walls” bug exist because there’s no proper declaration and is easy to fix, or is it something you cannot fix right now?

Also is there the transitioning possible, which you could use to make stuff like proper tables, beds, slides for parks etc?

I am at work now, but I should return home in the morning, so I will definitely take a look.

Does the “horizontal walls” bug exist because there’s no proper declaration and is easy to fix, or is it something you cannot fix right now?

Also is there the transitioning possible, which you could use to make stuff like proper tables, beds, slides for parks etc?

I am at work now, but I should return home in the morning, so I will definitely take a look.[/quote]

WRT Transitioning: likely possible. Seems like it would need a neighborhood search per block but that shouldn’t slow it down a whole hell of a lot. If/When there is a working Windows tile version I’ll be able to help with getting it set up if Tase doesn’t get it done before then.

Nice, once we get a working .exe with some of old features possible (like multiple tiles for the same entry, picked randomly, it was awesome to make zombies look different), I will jump the wagon and make all needed tiles in a few days.

It’s good to see you around, Deon, your work on other games always amazed me !

Indeed, hopefully we can get tiles rolled into mainline soon.

I am at work now, but I should return home in the morning, so I will definitely take a look.[/quote]

The horizontal bug only exists because I didn’t want to replace all the t_wall_v and t_wall_h with a regular t_wall (same goes for metal walls, and other h/v things) because I want to keep non-tiles mode in there. Having only t_wall would make all the walls look like the same glyph. I looked around the code but I couldn’t find where he says “t_wall = this tile”, he keeps h/v for glass walls but I couldn’t find out how to use the same tile as t_wall_v for t_wall_h.

I used to draw sprites for fun, can you possibly just download the C:DDA with tileset and add your own sprites without the programming part?

Since Deon and Rushmilk didn’t do much programming, I’m assuming so.

Wow i saw this yesterday and figured like many of these things today i would come back and no obvious progress would be noticeable and here i check and it looks like its a plan coming together, i really hope the windows version issues gets fixed, i really don’t like virtual machines, anyways good luck guys, i made my own tileset for the first one but all the crashes with windows pissed me off to no end so i never got to enjoy it and didn’t really bother to try to distribute it

im certainly going to track this till its either finished or dead, which seems unlikely now =D

pretty pumped for this :smiley:

scratch what i said earlier, wheres the progress I’ve been tracking the hell out of it and it seems more and more dead as i check on a daily basis
Id help if i could but I’m not to great with this stuff i just love the game but don’t agree with the community that tilesets aren’t worth the effort

DDA itself is changing a lot, lots of changes in the UI, new menu, changed placements, dynamic viewport resizing on linux.

So on top of me not really knowing the whole system to draw those windows, DDA isn’t exactly in it’s final state in terms of graphics, so it’s kinda futile to update the tiles version when tomorow something else is going to change.

But mainly im busy with an other project in DDA.

But if someone has any pointers on fixing a few bugs on the tileset version, do share them.

So, is anyone working on it? I am eager to start spriting :).

Cmon, someone? :smiley:

I can expand my old one, or work on this new cartoonish one I have in mind: