Recovering Sunken Vehicles

I accidentally sank my vehicle in a patch of deep water, and as far as I can tell, there’s no way of recovering it.
What puzzles me though is that I can’t even SEE my vehicle, regardless of the fact that I sunk to the bottom too and swam around. Is there any way to recover sunken vehicles, or are they just gone? Because some rope and a truck could absolutely solve this problem.

Gone. Forever.

do you think he could build it up to land and then drive it out using SCIENCE! or is it delete?

It’s gone as in non-existent. Gone like crack in the same room as Charlie Sheen.

you could always spawn a vehicle and bash it up a little with a baseball bat, break the controls and the engine and call it even (spawn a car, break it, and repair it)

The hard part of implementing this is there needs to be some way of ensuring that the vehicle actually fits in the body of water in order to have it sink.
Funny, after having thought about this dozens of times, I think I might have a solution.

If a vehicle fails the test that currently makes it disappear, it will instead slide deeper into the water, probably determined by moving the center of the vehicle away from the nearest dry ground. If at any point every square of the vehicle is over a water tile, the vehicle sinks, but then we can mark it as being underwater and such instead of deleting it.

Sorry to derail a little, but do vehicles still fall in little river banks like in swamps? I think i heard that they used to do it… maybe that could add complications to your solution, or i am totally confused.

How would a player recover it though?

Assuming it’s too big to grab and pull, we have nothing like winches.
Winches would be great for a lot of stuff, but I can imagine it would be hard, just looking at how Grabbing non-1-tile vehicles works right now.

A winch would be a bit easier, you’d only be able to pull things in a straight line, it’s turning that complicates dragging :slight_smile:

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:6, topic:6015”]The hard part of implementing this is there needs to be some way of ensuring that the vehicle actually fits in the body of water in order to have it sink.
Funny, after having thought about this dozens of times, I think I might have a solution.

If a vehicle fails the test that currently makes it disappear, it will instead slide deeper into the water, probably determined by moving the center of the vehicle away from the nearest dry ground. If at any point every square of the vehicle is over a water tile, the vehicle sinks, but then we can mark it as being underwater and such instead of deleting it.[/quote]

That’s a great solution!