Powered Turret Frame?

Lots of turrets (both manual and automatic) were added in 0.C so I thought I should try something. I looked around the construction menu and all of the automatic turrets used something called a “Powered Turret Frame”, I could craft a turret-frame but not the powered one so I thought to craft a manual one instead. I wanted to craft the Slingshot-Cannon but ended up crafting the scorpion instead, probably because it sounded more vicious and used a cheaper ammo (more because of the latter :P). Anyways it turned out to be a horribly inaccurate and hard to use turret (my archery is stuck at 6 due to the skill-changes in 0.C).

Right now I’m looking to craft those automatic ones because reloading this scorpion and getting my vehicle in a good position to fire it and actually hitting the target is a huge pain. But the problem is the powered-frame, I can’t craft it so I’m thinking of getting it by scrambling those 9mm/.223 turrets (not sure if this will work). Is there any other way to get the powered-frame, and what skills are required to craft it?

And one more question, which one of those (handcrafted ammunition using) automatic turrets are the best for a medium sized vehicle, I’m thinking about Storm-Bolter or the Avalanche Turret or maybe nail-turret?

I’d steer clear of any nail-turrets. Crafting nails takes a very long time compared to a lot of other ammunition.
Avalanche turrets I’d heartily recommend though, they do the job and ammo is cheap and plentiful.

As to powered turret frames, just make sure you have everything you need. You’ll need a forge though for sure if you intend to have more than one or two-- I found my main bottleneck was with a distinct lack of steel chains. Mechanics, Fabrication and Electronics.

Laser turrets are pretty good as well-- no worrying about ammo and you probably won’t even notice the power drain once you have 2 or more storage batteries. You’ll need to be able to craft the NX-17 rifles though, but iirc they’re pretty simple.

By the way, a scorpion is essentially a proto-ballista. They were used by roman legionnaries way back when.
Never really made sense to me having them in cata, but to each his own.

I can’t help but notice that according to the crafting menu, one of the vehicle mounted coilgun weapons (splinter gun or something like that) uses battery power instead of actual ammunition such as nails.

This obviously makes no sense. But it would make a possible alternative to a nail weapon.

[quote=“DG123, post:3, topic:10645”]I can’t help but notice that according to the crafting menu, one of the vehicle mounted coilgun weapons (splinter gun or something like that) uses battery power instead of actual ammunition such as nails.

This obviously makes no sense. But it would make a possible alternative to a nail weapon.[/quote]

Wouldn’t it be theoretically possible for a turret to have an epower stat assigned in addition to its ammunition? I need to test that…

I suggest you update to the latest experimental and download the newest version of the VAP. I had to streamline a lot of things and powered turret frames don’t exist anymore. A lot of turrets end up extremely inaccurate due to the combined volume of the frame+engine+gun since accuracy also factors in volume.

It’s possible, but it’d have to have the engine/solar tag in order to generate power.

doesn’t the guns’ ups charge var already drain battery power?

hard to tell what you mean…

Hmm. So without a tag for it, you can’t make a turret drain power independently of its ammunition consumption, right.

[quote=“Xfin, post:6, topic:10645”]doesn’t the guns’ ups charge var already drain battery power?

hard to tell what you mean…[/quote]

Via the weapon itself being set to drain power via what ammo it uses, yes. Vehicle parts themselves have a separate option that allows draining or outputting power, but as Blaze stated it doesn’t exactly work right for turrets, unless messed with a bit.

Ahh i see what your on about now, having them drain power to scan the area to know when and what to fire at

Basically, yeah. Actually, I’m not sure what actions would drain power. Most vehicle parts that consume power do so constantly, and have to be turned on or off. About the only exceptions are electric engines (power drain is affected by how fast you’re going) and solar panels (power production is dependent on light level).

So giving turrets the need for battery power separate from whatever ammo they need might not exactly work right.

Wait, you mean we need to install the pack separately? How?

I’m currently playing on one of the experimentals from yesterday. What exactly do I need to do in order to have turrets that work right and aren’t stupidly inaccurate?

(And keep my saved game)

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=8060.0
I found this but I’m not sure whether I need to be installing the mod over my experimental install…?

Or does the experimental from yesterday include the updated mod?

I’m seeing fire controls systems in the crafting menu but not powered turret frames, so am I fine?

Related question: The “AP Rifle turret” says something in its description about tracking enemies at ridiculous ranges but not shooting at those ranges without external input. What exactly does this mean? Can I use it as a mounted sniper rifle manually somehow?

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:9, topic:10645”]Basically, yeah. Actually, I’m not sure what actions would drain power. Most vehicle parts that consume power do so constantly, and have to be turned on or off. About the only exceptions are electric engines (power drain is affected by how fast you’re going) and solar panels (power production is dependent on light level).

So giving turrets the need for battery power separate from whatever ammo they need might not exactly work right.[/quote]

Simulating the “on-standby mode”, meaning constantly scanning for hostiles, iff recognition routines, maybe IR vision, should be handled by constant power drain. (higher drain for low-light conditions where IR vision is used?)

Simulating the turret traversing (if this is not part of the above - and it shouldn’t) could be rolled into firing mode drain (thus into ammo)

So i’d think that constant drain is fine for turrets powered on but not firing, or 2-3 constant drain modes, if you simulate the high-drain actions too.
Otoh one could just simplify it: Decide the total daily drain and just use a constant drain of 24_h_drain/86400 per second.
It all depends on simulation accurancy vs human and cpu work.