I need the straight dope on vehicle turrets

All I hear about is how easily these can go wrong. Where can I place them such that they’ll never shoot up the vehicle? I was thinking on each corner maybe?

And is there any sort of energy weapon that draws directly from the battery? Can I toggle them on and off? I’d love to have a “SCREW THIS” mode I could activate to bring a mounted laser online at each corner of the vehicle.

The only way I’ve had /any/ luck with vehicles is to set up turrets in a nook, something along the lines of this:

H
t

H|

The t being the turret. It still tends to shoot the vehicle sadly. Usually vehicle turrets tend to do more harm than good. Not to mention they tend to suck up precious resources, there is one ‘laser’ turret, but again, precious battery. Especially considering how many of you green people use solar like it’s gonna undo the cataclysm… -Wanders off to drive the RMCC which downs almost 1/10th a gallon per tick at full speed-

On top of that vehicle turrets will just as soon annihilate that devious squirrel, god only knows what that furry bastard is up to… But never you mind the zombie hulk closing on your vehicle.

For vehicle damage Flamethrower turrets are the biggest offenders due to being AOE weapons. Particularly in the dark, where their vision range is 1 i.e. right next to them. NX17 turrets also pose a threat, though their shots being explosive or not is completely random. Putting them in corners does reduce the risk but does not negate it.

NX-17s are the only unmodded turret to use batteries.

You can toggle ALL turrets on and off; you can’t do it for individual turrets.

[quote=“Blaze, post:3, topic:7627”]For vehicle damage Flamethrower turrets are the biggest offenders due to being AOE weapons. Particularly in the dark, where their vision range is 1 i.e. right next to them. NX17 turrets also pose a threat, though their shots being explosive or not is completely random. Putting them in corners does reduce the risk but does not negate it.

NX-17s are the only unmodded turret to use batteries.

You can toggle ALL turrets on and off; you can’t do it for individual turrets.[/quote]

I’ve found that by putting turrets in nooks like that it limits their LoS to a cone that doesn’t include the vehicle. Also you’re forgetting the Mark 19, probably the most dangerous turret in the game. XD

[size=8pt]Browning M2 master race [/size]
for good safe turret what run on battery try look at our forum in lab section

Thanks for the answers guys!

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:2, topic:7627”]The only way I’ve had /any/ luck with vehicles is to set up turrets in a nook, something along the lines of this:

H
t

H|

The t being the turret. It still tends to shoot the vehicle sadly. Usually vehicle turrets tend to do more harm than good. Not to mention they tend to suck up precious resources, there is one ‘laser’ turret, but again, precious battery. Especially considering how many of you green people use solar like it’s gonna undo the cataclysm… -Wanders off to drive the RMCC which downs almost 1/10th a gallon per tick at full speed-

On top of that vehicle turrets will just as soon annihilate that devious squirrel, god only knows what that furry bastard is up to… But never you mind the zombie hulk closing on your vehicle.[/quote]

Sounds like turrets aren’t worth it yet. Oh well, I’ll just cover the front of the Death Wagon in spikes or something and call it a day for now I guess. Green nothing though, it runs on a V8. I just gave it reinforced upgraded solar panels and two storage batteries because I was hoping to lavishly squander electricity on things like laser cannons. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does an ammo-based turret require anything but ammo? Could I just plunk down one piece of frame somewhere strategic, slap a mounted gun on there, fill it with ammo, and have a drone turret of doom?

[quote=“Thwap, post:6, topic:7627”]Thanks for the answers guys!

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:2, topic:7627”]The only way I’ve had /any/ luck with vehicles is to set up turrets in a nook, something along the lines of this:

H
t

H|

On top of that vehicle turrets will just as soon annihilate that devious squirrel, god only knows what that furry bastard is up to… But never you mind the zombie hulk closing on your vehicle.[/quote]

Sounds like turrets aren’t worth it yet. Oh well, I’ll just cover the front of the Death Wagon in spikes or something and call it a day for now I guess. Green nothing though, it runs on a V8. I just gave it reinforced upgraded solar panels and two storage batteries because I was hoping to lavishly squander electricity on things like laser cannons. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does an ammo-based turret require anything but ammo? Could I just plunk down one piece of frame somewhere strategic, slap a mounted gun on there, fill it with ammo, and have a drone turret of doom?[/quote]

yes you need:
frame
mountable gun what use ammo
car controls (to turn on/off turret)

There is a new mod (check the Lab) that massively expands vehicle turrets.

The last time I installed a turret on a vehicle it only shot up the vehicle if the turret had AoE and an enemy got to close; an experimental awhile back made it so that turrets shoot over your vehicle, because the turret is presumably mounted on top.

This is a public service announcement.

4/5 people that do turrets die a horrible explody death.
Don’t do turrets.

That is all.

Also while turrets may shoot above the vehicle, I don’t recall if they can actually shoot above its occupants. I got killed by my own turret a few days ago while I was driving, through i’m not sure how recent the experimental was.

Could someone clearing that one up?

They won’t shoot above you, I use pulse turrets on both the left and right of my seat in the mobile minibase and they’ll beep if you’re in the way.

Note that turrets CAN hit you if their target is near you or you’re near their cone of fire; mostly due to dispersion causing projectiles to stray from their not-blocked-by-you path. The more obvious danger is with AOE turrets.