Automotive turrets

Previously this thread was about my questions on how mounted guns work. Now it is about AI controlled turrets. I have discovered, as some of you more experienced players probably have, that you can create fully automated turrets using the vehicle construction mechanics. the difference between these and the regular deploy able turrets are that these are bigger, more resource intensive, more powerful, and not nearly as portable. also, the vehicular turret seems to have no need to be programmed, meaning it wont shoot the living crap out of you if you flub your computers/electronics check. whichever was in charge of setting up deploy able turrets. The first one ive built requires an engine, batteries, and fuel. If I switch it to solar power though, I imagine I could keep it running indefinitely. or at least for a long ass time on stored power. Maybe im just thinking out loud here, but can anyone tell me more about the vehicle mounted weapons systems? any advice would be appreciated.

[edit] thought I needed a motor, turns out you dont. installed the solar stuff and forgot the electric motor. gun still fires on its own. also noticed it makes beeping noises if im standing in its line of fire when something it can target comes within the killing field. Its great work the devs are doing, just when I think im getting bored I find something like this that just blows my mind.

These have been around for a While–the base stuff has been in since before my time, probably dates to Whales.

I understand Blaze has a very nice rework, but xe hasn’t PR’d it. :-/

To make a working vehicle turret, the absolute least you’ll need is:

1. A frame.
  2. The turret.
  3. Vehicle Controls
  4. Battery/Gas tank (Unless you’re using ammunition based turrets)
  5. Welder/Duct tape.

So all you need to do is duct tape a flamethrower onto your car and it can then target and acquire enemies in a 360-degree radius and open fire automatically. A bit silly.

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:7615”]These have been around for a While–the base stuff has been in since before my time, probably dates to Whales.

I understand Blaze has a very nice rework, but xe hasn’t PR’d it. :-/[/quote]
Me not am knows herp to pee arr durr.

And it’s not fully balanced yet anyway.

[quote=“Blaze, post:3, topic:7615”]To make a working vehicle turret, the absolute least you’ll need is:

1. A frame.
  2. The turret.
  3. Vehicle Controls
  4. Battery/Gas tank (Unless you’re using ammunition based turrets)
  5. Welder/Duct tape.

So all you need to do is duct tape a flamethrower onto your car and it can then target and acquire enemies in a 360-degree radius and open fire automatically. A bit silly.

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:7615”]These have been around for a While–the base stuff has been in since before my time, probably dates to Whales.

I understand Blaze has a very nice rework, but xe hasn’t PR’d it. :-/[/quote]
Me not am knows herp to pee arr durr.

And it’s not fully balanced yet anyway.[/quote]

Here’s where I point everyone; let me know if you need more.

I assure you that we will help you balance it once it hits the hopper, and if there are problems once it mainlines, we/you can then fix those as needed.

[quote=“KA101, post:4, topic:7615”]Here’s where I point everyone; let me know if you need more.

I assure you that we will help you balance it once it hits the hopper, and if there are problems once it mainlines, we/you can then fix those as needed.[/quote]

I just have to say that I love how this game is developed like this and this kind of attitude in particular. Thank you for all the hard work you guys put in and making an incredible game for all of us.

[quote=“edm, post:5, topic:7615”][quote=“KA101, post:4, topic:7615”]Here’s where I point everyone; let me know if you need more.

I assure you that we will help you balance it once it hits the hopper, and if there are problems once it mainlines, we/you can then fix those as needed.[/quote]

I just have to say that I love how this game is developed like this and this kind of attitude in particular. Thank you for all the hard work you guys put in and making an incredible game for all of us.[/quote]

Gals too. Rivet does more than I do, with less fanfare (despite my efforts to correct that deficit :wink: ); AtomicDryad kept mapgen looking brilliant and wrote up our JSON validator (saving lots of time and effort when handling JSONized stuff, let me tell you!), but has left the project; and Aenye’s road roller & its drums are extremely popular.

Hah, I didn’t mean to imply the male gender with “you guys”, I appreciate their contribution as much as their male counterparts. If I was wearing a hat, I would take it off and bow to you ladies.