Permenant Disabilities/Wounds

So. This game has a wonderful crafting system that I have fallen in love with. However, First Aid specifically is quite lacking. Bleeding/Infection isn’t as horrific as it could be! Let’s add a full, detailed, and descriptive (!) system for limb damage and mental ailments. I want a chance to go unconscious when smacked in the head by a brute! I want permanent disabilities like brain trauma causing neurological issues, or a broken arm/leg that needs amputating or setting dependent on your mood! I want internal bleeding that requires self-surgery! I want all sorts of nasty things like sucking the venom out of yourself and spitting it! It’ll be great, everyone.

Due to the blob inside of you no injuries stay permanent.
Permanent afflictions would be lore unfriendly imo.

Getting knocked unconcious? okay. But that sounds like a death sentence.

You can in fact have ‘broken’ limbs, in the sense that they become useless at zero bars health. There are splint items in game, though I have yet to use them. I typically don’t survive limb ‘loss’.

There has been discussion on whether cautery should still be in game and what role it should play, so it’s a nice start. I think some of these might yet have place in Cata.
We do have bleeding, though it requires no surgery as of now; only staunching.
There is poisoning but no means for attempting to lessen it’s severity (I always wondered if that barf-on-command ability might actually come in handy for lessening food poisoning’s duration???)

Some things might not be lore friendly, but I think a discussion here of particulars is an incredibly good idea.

In the future I do want to have serious and neglected wounds become more severe and even permanent over time.

Good god why haven’t I learned how to code yet.

Wonderful! I expect to be able to do ghetto surgery. Have you ever played Space Station 13? Like that, except worse.

Fun Fact: This doesn’t actually work and might actually kill you quicker, or cause a somewhat harmless bite to end up killing you, usually through infection, since the human mouth is full of all kinds of nasty things you don’t want in an open wound.
It’s about as realistic as cauterisation is, and is one of those stupid myths that actually gets people killed sometimes. I’d vote against including this for the same reason cauterisation is bad, it reinforces the idea that this shit actually works, and might cause someone to try it one day, killing themselves in the process.

Fun Fact: This doesn’t actually work and might actually kill you quicker, or cause a somewhat harmless bite to end up killing you, usually through infection, since the human mouth is full of all kinds of nasty things you don’t want in an open wound.
It’s about as realistic as cauterisation is, and is one of those stupid myths that actually gets people killed sometimes. I’d vote against including this for the same reason cauterisation is bad, it reinforces the idea that this shit actually works, and might cause someone to try it one day, killing themselves in the process.[/quote]

But Hollywood taught us! And they wouldn t want people to die right? They are the good guys :open_mouth:

And yeah thats why zombie bites kill. Those are deadly (former)human bites!

It’s about as realistic as cauterisation is, and is one of those stupid myths that actually gets people killed sometimes. I’d vote against including this for the same reason cauterisation is bad, it reinforces the idea that this shit actually works, and might cause someone to try it one day, killing themselves in the process.[/quote]

That’s why it should be put in the game.

You do a dumb medical thing because your first aid skill is too low!
You die, ha-ha!

Do you really want to do this dumb thing? Your medical training tells you this ranks among your worst ideas ever. Y/N

You die, ha-ha!

Do you really want to do this dumb thing? Your medical training tells you this ranks among your worst ideas ever. Y/N[/quote]
Best idea.

You die, ha-ha!

Do you really want to do this dumb thing? Your medical training tells you this ranks among your worst ideas ever. Y/N[/quote]

Nope. That sort of jagoffery is a reason I stopped playing Nethack, so I don’t see any reason to have it in DDA.

Yeah I’m not interested in making stupid decisions because of assumed character inexperience. I’d rather be stuck deciding to make a stupid decision due to having no other options and deciding for myself that it’s still “worth a shot”.

Here’s a question: Are tourniquets in game? Right now we have hemostatic powder, rags, and cautery for staunching bleeding. While tourniquettes are fantastic for that, they are also very useful in restricting bloodflow from potentially envenomed bite wounds. It doesn’t stop the poison, but it would buy you time to find a way to deal with it more adequately. Currently, poison sources act immediately upon the player - with the exception of paralyzing ones, which have their increasing effect over time. It would be interesting to see delayed-action poisons of other sorts. Food poisoning too, really. That usually takes a couple hours to become apparent.

Maybe there is room for these ideas in cataclysm.

Would a tourniquet slow down an infection as well?
It doesn’t seem like it would do a whole lot honestly, but DDA isn’t entirely realistic, and that doesn’t seem like misinformation that could be potentially life threatening to someone.

Reasoning being that if you’re far away from any source of disinfection, and would give a decent alternative to cauterisation, which does spread potentially life threatening misinformation, it would give you just a little extra time to find those disinfectant supplies, for the tradeoff of slightly reducing your movement speed due to numb limbs. Again not entirely realistic but a reasonable enough compromise.

There’s a point during which the bite wound is no longer able to be cleaned by using disinfectants, and MUST be treated with antibiotics. As I understand it, this is the time it takes for the contaminants present to spread from the wound site to your body as a whole - much like blood poisoning (entirely possible given the depth of wound). Tourniquets would theoretically work to slow infection if you were to say, apply a pair on either side of a deep bite wound before it hit the antibiotics-requiring stage. Constricting bloodflow would, like with venom, help to inhibit contaminants from spreading with it.

Unlike venom, disease multiplies, and may cause damage to the immediate area in ways the tourniquet still can’t account for. In real life, you also can’t realistically cut off bloodflow to an entire limb indefinitely. You’ll starve the whole thing and risk tissue death, and then gangrene. Applying tourniquets in real life involves something like 15 minute intervals (I have not researched actual values but it’s short-lived) of use and disuse, to reach some middleground of venom-stoppage without also suffocating the limb.

Tourniquets in-game could be balanced by letting them be applied for longer, lessening poison and potentially slowing bite wound progression, at the cost of slowly damaging the limb. At least, if you were going for that kind of an approach of pros/cons blending. Numb limbs slowing speed is also appropriate. Or maybe slower attack speeds for tourniquets on arms.

Logically, tourniquets can only be applied to limbs. The head, mouth, eyes and torso are unable to be treated in this way. Too impractical.

AFAIK, infection happens when there are too much contaminants in the wound for your immune system to handle and cells around the wound start to break down. Once they break enough of the surrounding tissue to get to your bloodstream you are royally fucked. Constricting blood flow wouldn’t stop the tissue from breaking, it might even raise the chance of infection in borderline cases since white blood cells use veins and arteries to spread in the body.

Again AFAIK, the best way to prevent a wound from infecting, without any medical supplies or help, is to use clean implements to carefully remove foreign objects and chunks of skin and flesh that are completely ripped off from the wound, then use clean water to rinse the wound and apply clean cloth as a bandage to prevent further contamination. Anything that can kill the surrounding tissue adds to the work your immune system has to do, thus raising the change of infections.

A more precise version of my exact concerns! If an injury is deep enough to seep into the bloodstream easily (realistically it’d also be the sort most likely to bleed a LOT), I’d think tourniquet would work for a very small window of time. Once local breakdown becomes a problem, the tourniquet’s useless as it has less to hold onto - you’d need to move it further down or up (or both sides ideally) from the infection site to keep having any slowing power. That was where my suggestion to damage the limb over time came from.

Your argument makes it clear that we need some research into whether the risk of infection increasing down the road outweighs the immediate benefits. Then we’ll know if it’s a stupid idea to implement tourniquets for anything besides bleeding and poison.

Something something, using torniquette to help dismember yourself?
Problem can come in involving splints, but would be an excellent pre requisite to bionic limb replacements.

Care to elaborate?

I think he meant needing to use a tourniquet to install a fusion blaster arm, since it pretty much involves cutting your own damn arm off and jamming metal into the stump.
Although from what I know of CMBs, the kit should already include the tools required to remove your arm and also keep you from bleeding to death during it, as well as an automated process for the CMB to do that stuff for you.

I was more thinking the potential “full cybernetic limb replacements” system i’ve been hearing about. Cutting off an infected limb doesn’t seem like it should be completely forfeit either, if still really hard to pull off succesfully.

Though,thinking about it, the fusion blaster arm should probably be craftable to be used as an external gun, with suffucient electronics skill.