Should cauterization exist?

I mean, it actually makes the matter worse afaik, and wounds get more, uh, nasty and festering after its applied.

Yes. Because I prefer to have a big wound than dying! Never got to the end of the infection?

having an ugly burned wound that hurts like hell beats bleeding to death or dieing from infection[quote=“StopSignal, post:2, topic:8022”]Yes. Because I prefer to have a big wound than dying! Never got to the end of the infection?[/quote]
qft

having an ugly burned wound that hurts like hell beats bleeding to death or dieing from infection

:confused:

But well. I think with practice and skill you get to cauterize quickly and without making the problem bigger. Obviously, it still hurts.

If not, turn into a zombie through a painful and full of throwing up experience.

higher skill in first aid increases the success chance of cauterization afaik.
try it with a newby survivor and you ll fail multiple times usualy making it worse first. (and hurt like beeing gutted)

edit i hope you know that beeing infected has nothing to do with turning in a zombie ? not directly anyway . it simply kills you .

I just wish applying lots of pain could cause crying in pain.

Ouh, I always thought that because… You know, zombie movies. Oh well.

cata is better then that :smiley:

+1

Cries of pain with lots of sound! Yessss

[size=5pt]Masochist makes cries of pain moans (?[/size]

Cauterization is fine, but I’m probably going to cut out its ability to cure bite wounds pretty soon (since in reality cauterization of a wound increases the chance that something gets infected, not decreases it).

Its not to decrease chance of infection. its to remove infection already there no?

Thats was my point. Cauterization curing (preventing) infection is like bloodletting curing flue. Granted, cauterization persisted a bit longer in real world. I get the point about wound being dangerous. I use a house rule of not using cauterization and antibiotics and disinfectant are at prime.

But perhaps there could be some sort of other treatment instead. There are some natural antibiotics from fungi, so perhaps with high enough survival/first aid skill… then again, perhaps crafting already covers that, i havent got it that high ever. And it would do nothing to starting characters, which have it hard enough, whereas its the old characters that have it easy.

When cauterisation won’t be curing deep bite wounds anymore we need a compensation. In extreme situations maybe cut off the hand/foot? And i heard that pee should disinfect as well…

Yeah that’s just an urban legend, along with the whole jellyfish sting thing. Neither one actually works that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I’d probably have bandages be able to reduce the chance of it proceeding to infection or something similar. There would be some increase in the ability of the player to deal with bites and infection, don’t worry. (That said you already have like a 1/3rd chance of it curing on it’s own anyways, most people just don’t realize that).

Does you health factor into the resistance to infectable wounds?

Yeah that’s just an urban legend, along with the whole jellyfish sting thing. Neither one actually works that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I’d probably have bandages be able to reduce the chance of it proceeding to infection or something similar. There would be some increase in the ability of the player to deal with bites and infection, don’t worry. (That said you already have like a 1/3rd chance of it curing on it’s own anyways, most people just don’t realize that).[/quote]
I would say cauterization working is an urban legend too. I mean, i thought it worked like in Cata until few months ago, but then i picked up memoirs of one WW II surgeon general who wrote in extension about his colleague trying to reintroduce this already discarded method of dealing with wounds and how it was not only not helping but worsening things. And a bit of reading on the web seems to confirm what i read there.

Cauterization might not fight infection, but spider webs should. And with horse-sized spiders running around, there should be plenty available. Not only do they fight infection, but they make excellent bandages.

Well, the chances of successfully cauterizing a wound in-game are already really low, and it’s nigh impossible to do without severely crippling yourself due to pain.

So, if cauterizing is to be removed, we need some sort of substitution.

In my opinion, cauterization really should exist. Sure it isn’t really that realistic, but in terms of gameplay terms it saves your character from dying to the fact they can’t find any first aid kits or disinfectant.

It’s a rare chance to disinfectant a wound, and very punishing. If we’re going for realism, it probably shouldn’t be a thing, but it’s in there just to make gameplay balanced for people who got an unlucky infection, preventing their super awesome character who happens to not have a first aid kit from becoming a Z.

Maybe an infection is too that got in the wound, and cauterizing makes it get destroyed if heated up to almost burning?

[me=StopSignal]raises shield for all the corrections he will get[/me]