Noob quesion, surviving spores?

I’ve got a really decent character going on, my best one yet.

I picked up the spore infection though, and none of the wiki’s nor the forums talk about if the thing is even survivable.

I’m pretty sure the next time i’m going to sleep, my wrists will split open and both of my arms will break. Then these little puff spore fairies are gonna murder me with their delusional harmlessness as I flail my numb, broken arms ect.

So whats the deal with these things?

You can get fungicide from scientist corpses and sometimes find it in science labs. I believe royal jelly will also take care of it as it cures most ailments.

If you wear a filter mask or a gas mask when taking on the fungals it helps avoid the initial infection.

Also, blood filter CBM’s.

[quote=“reinsnake, post:2, topic:3725”]You can get fungicide from scientist corpses and sometimes find it in science labs. I believe royal jelly will also take care of it as it cures most ailments.

If you wear a filter mask or a gas mask when taking on the fungals it helps avoid the initial infection.[/quote]

I don’t have the time in-game to look for that stuff, I just want to know if it’s a survivable condition without treatment.

The initial ‘infection’ is survivable

The disease has a minimal duration of 30 turns and 3.(3)% chance per turn to settle in character's organism and grow into Fungal Parasite. Spore infection cannot be healed, though has a chance to pass over without consequences.

however Fungal Parasite does not, and will likely kill you

A successful case of spore infection or a rare result of [spoiler]teleporting device abusing 0.01% per turn of telesickness.[/spoiler] In contrast to other diseases, this one does not goes away with time.

At full effect, it can take half of a limb’s hp away, as well as potential for almost constant damage to the torso and head in 5 damage increments

Wiki

[quote=“Luissen, post:5, topic:3725”]The initial ‘infection’ is survivable

The disease has a minimal duration of 30 turns and 3.(3)% chance per turn to settle in character's organism and grow into Fungal Parasite. Spore infection cannot be healed, though has a chance to pass over without consequences.

however Fungal Parasite does not, and will likely kill you

A successful case of spore infection or a rare result of [spoiler]teleporting device abusing 0.01% per turn of telesickness.[/spoiler] In contrast to other diseases, this one does not goes away with time.

At full effect, it can take half of a limb’s hp away, as well as potential for almost constant damage to the torso and head in 5 damage increments

Wiki[/quote]

So the ‘full effect’ is permament until death?

I think the “infection” is curable with Blood Filter, Royal Jelly, etc.

That said it’s probably possible to treat the symptoms in the mean time with anything that’ll fix you

You now need total environmental protection to be fully immune to the spores, though every body part that has protection makes it less likely for you to get infected.

Some of the triffids are built to fight fungus, and their remains can be used to fight your own infection If that helps.

Yeah, if you are playing the stable version then you need to seek out some royal jelly or a blood filter CBM IIRC.

If, on the other hand, you are playing the experimental then you need to either seek out or make some fungicide (or royal jelly/blood filter). Fungicide can be found in scientist/lab places or rarely in military ones, or you can hunt down a Fungal Fighter triffid and make your own.

In short, if you are early game, you are probably going to die.

Though cheating yourself up some royal jelly is a darkside solution.

if you wear a filter mask you dont get spore infections. they are common on science corpses and random drops in houses. it is not worth engaging fungaloids until you have one. just avoid them. when you do they are very good for training combat skills.

These two answers are contradictory. Is Kevin right? If so, when did this change? Because I rememberr youtoo’s answer being correct

These two answers are contradictory. Is Kevin right? If so, when did this change? Because I rememberr youtoo’s answer being correct[/quote]
AFAIK
One answer (youtoo’s) applies to the current ‘stable’ 0.8 and older versions.
The other (I think) refers to changes in the experimental versions.

What would “total environmental protection” constitute?

Glassing the planet from orbit before entry.

In all seriousness though gasmask and a hazmat suit (should?) do the trick.

I don’t know the numbers offhand, but you need a certain threshold of environmental protection on each body part. I don’t think it requires super high levels, just need it to cover the whole body.

I’ve caught the fungal lergy when nowhere near fungals, does it hang around on surfaces? Catching it off a car frame might explain it…

It’s possible, though very rare (the chance is like 1 in 10,000 on each “tick”), to catch the fungal disease from telesickness.

I believe there is a certain type of power armour that states it has “full environmental protection” not sure if its in the stable release or anything though. Hazmat suit might work in a pinch but it doesn’t say it has full protection just radiation so it might work.