Night Vision trait allowing crafting/reading/whatever during storms

When a dude’s got night vision, he can see one square farther in the dark. Wouldn’t that equate to being able to see well enough to do stuff during a storm? I don’t believe that it’s that dark that he can’t even see his own hand in front of his face (yet can see around him just fine).

Actually, getting better night vision (Mutations) allows you to craft/read at night.

At least I think it does, last time I had full night vision it said “Lighting: Brightly” at night.

[quote=“Mrnocamera, post:2, topic:6263”]Actually, getting better night vision (Mutations) allows you to craft/read at night.

At least I think it does, last time I had full night vision it said “Lighting: Brightly” at night.[/quote]
The OP means a starting trait of “night vision”, not the upgraded versions that mutations give.
Personally, i think it would give you too much power right at the beginning of the game. Night is supposed to be a time when weak characters hide in the corner and when mid-game mutants roam around, doing what their weaker, past selves could not do.

I’m not talking about being able to do stuff at night without light sources – just during (daytime) storms.

I thought it was possible to do things like that during daytime storms O.o
If it isn’t then i agree with you - even during the worst storm it should be possible to read or craft as long as it’s daytime(unless for some lore-related reason storm clouds are so thick that they don’t let sunlight through)

Night vision is fundamentally different from daytime vision, it doesn’t have the detail necessary for that kind of thing, and that’s why night vision intentionally doesn’t allow you to read or craft when it’s dark.
There might be a separate issue here of storms reducing illumination too much during the day, or the reading threshold being set to high.

I just assumed it was intentional to be blinded during a storm for some odd reason. Maybe the lighting should be changed to ‘shady’ instead of ‘dark’?

I think reading & crafting are the same “fine detail” threshold, and yeah, you generally need High or some other exotic NV to get it high enough to do detail work in low-light.

Agreed that storms probably reduce things a bit much, but it’s probably worth checking for time of day too. Sunset, for example, might legitimately reduce ambient illumination without being noticeable.

Storms have a nasty effect of making it impossible to read or craft, so yeah, supporting any change on that front.

Just make the over-powered light strip and do all the things at night forever :slight_smile:

That said normal night vision does have some small effect, it’s just not quite enough to take you into the dark region (though it should allow you to do things in very low light, such as glowsticks IIRC).