Better night time idea

Instead of everything being pitch black at night. I’ve come up with an idea that I’d love to see implemented through a mod or even in the main game. Though I’ve no idea how to mod.

Night time lighting- Now instead of total darkness everyone knows that after a few minutes your eyes adjust and you can see thinks. Albeit not clearly, but you can make out what it is. So instead of making everything pitch black apart from a few squares around you. Darken all of the symbols at night until they are almost black, but you can still just about make them out.

Night time scavenging - Only items near you are identified. So if you use the “x” command to look around then the game would say “there is something there” , but if you go near the the item 1-2 squares away and use the examine or the “x” feature you would be able to see what it was.

What about the night vision trait? - Well this might make the night vision trait seem useless at first, but. What if the starting trait made it so you could identify items from further away and made all the colours slightly clearer. Then if the mutation level 2 version increased the identify distance even further and brightened the colours even more. Then the level 3 mutation made it so night time had no effect on you.

Zombies at night? - Zombies should be able to see much less in the dark and navigate via noise. Pathing towards it. Zombies should also get a slightly more aggressive at night making them slightly stronger.

Player at night - The player’s view should still be lessened, but only to half of whatever you have it set at in the options. Also they should have a higher miss chance with guns and melee weapons (also lowered by night vision traits)

I think that the game could be made much more realistic by a system like this as well as a little bit more fun. To me at least.

It would make it more realistic, but it would also make the game easier. If you could barely make out what is in the distance then that would give you an upper hand and at the same time if zombies were more blind, which they already are at night, it would make night time scavenging a lot easier.

No!

This would put some actual strain on my eyes to look at a very darkened screen. I do like the idea except for that though.

if zombies were more blind, which they already are at night, it would make night time scavenging a lot easier.
I'm not talking blind zombies here. I'm talking zombies with sight like yours at night. Halved from normal.
This would put some actual strain on my eyes to look at a very darkened screen
I don't think it should be darkened so much it strains your eyes either. Plus if the colours remain darkened then you'll still be able to tell something is there without straining your eyes.

makes having night vision and other night gear useless

makes having night vision and other night gear useless

Did you actually read the whole topic? or did you just miss what I said about the night vision trait?

You know,

What about the night vision trait? - Well this might make the night vision trait seem useless at first, but. What if the starting trait made it so you could identify items from further away and made all the colours slightly clearer. Then if the mutation level 2 version increased the identify distance even further and brightened the colours even more. Then the level 3 mutation made it so night time had no effect on you.

This bit?

multiple coloring changes to be made,changes to game mechanics,changes to mutations and lighting gears sure, but it’s like an easy mode at night to me than just everything being pitch black unless it has a light source.

it's like an easy mode at night to me than just everything being pitch black unless it has a light source

I see the point you’re all getting at. Its too easy. So maybe its not every night. All of what I said about traits/players/zombies etc. Maybe its all based on the moon? If there is no moon or its cloudy or raining, then its pitch black. And the moon changes the light levels? So a full moon provides more light than a half moon or quarter moon?

There are moon phases that function in the game and on some nights are you able see more than the standard nigh vision/high night vision can give.

Last I know of any potential update to the moon phases is that it will be displayed to not confuse players with suddenly having higher night vision range. (yeah those reports of some nights being too bright as a bug)