New Starting Traits Package

Git!

A new PR which adds a whole lot of new starting traits:

The good:

accomplished sleeper - falling asleep is easier
addiction resistant - reduced likelihood of addiction, easier recovery from addiction
cannibal - not new, but it has been split from Psychopath - you like eating people, but still feel enough guilt to not enjoy it to the fullest
eagle eyed - exposes more of the overmap as you travel, similar to and stacks with binoculars
good hearing - your sense of hearing is better than average
good memory - slower skill rust
outdoorsman - reduces morale penalties for being wet
psychopath - never suffer guilt penalties, combine with Cannibal to get the full anthropophagous experience
strong back - grants bonus carrying weight
strong stomach - reduced likelihood of vomiting
tough feet - no movement penalty for going barefoot
weak scent - you have a reduced scent profile

The bad:
animal discord - animals don’t like you and are more likely to be hostile towards you
bad knees - moving over rough terrain is slower
clumsy - make more noise when you move, more likely to set off traps
disorganized - penalty to carrying volume
hates vegetables - eating foods made from the veggy material hurts your morale
high metabolism - an existing trait, now unlocked for starting characters
high thirst - an existing trait, now unlocked for starting characters
slow healer - your natural healing rate is reduced
slow learner - learn skills more slowly
slow reader - it takes longer to read books
slow runner - 15% movement speed penalty on flat ground
thin-skinned - slightly more susceptible to cutting damage than normal

Wonderful addition!

Awesome work as always, thanks Rivet!

Oh psychopath, you finally made it in. <3

Oh, man! If you eat human flesh as a psychopath, you get the message
"Meh, you’ve eaten worse."

XD

“Accomplished Sleeper” - Doesn’t really make sense.

“Addiction Resistant” - Should be called something else, like “Substance Tolerance” or something to that effect.

[quote=“Clayton, post:6, topic:4466”]“Accomplished Sleeper” - Doesn’t really make sense.

“Addiction Resistant” - Should be called something else, like “Substance Tolerance” or something to that effect.[/quote]

That’s Accomplished Sleeper as in Accomplished Athlete. Accomplished sleepers are the exceptionally talented nap artists. They’re the folks who can easily fall asleep anywhere and anytime that they have the opportunity - the folks you see sleeping while balanced on a suitcase at the airport concourse, or the ones who can catch a daily twelve minute powernap while standing on the train and holding onto all their stuff with one hand.

Addiction Resistant may not be the absolute best possible name, but it’s what we came up with. Sometimes it’s hard to be succinct and fit a whole thought in the small amount of space that we’re given to work with.

I don’t know, sometimes I think it helps to switch up words. There are a lot of “…Resistant”'s already.

Just my 19 cents.

“Addiction Resistant” -> “Strong Willed”?

Strong Willed implies something much more broad than this trait covers.

I like the looks of this, but I’d like to point out a potential problem with the ‘hates vegetables’ trait, while it does cover veggies the problem is the “veggy” material covers just about everything that isn’t meat or human flesh. This includes Apples, Chocolate Bars, Potato Chips, and others. And while for the purposes of the game calling an “apple” a veggy is technically close enough there are people that’d sooner starve than eat broccoli, but are fine with apples. And I damn well know a lot of people wouldn’t call a chocolate bar a veggy.

On a semi-related note: Great, now I’m gonna have to take two perks to continue eating people without penalty… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:11, topic:4466”]I like the looks of this, but I’d like to point out a potential problem with the ‘hates vegetables’ trait, while it does cover veggies the problem is the “veggy” material covers just about everything that isn’t meat or human flesh. This includes Apples, Chocolate Bars, Potato Chips, and others. And while for the purposes of the game calling an “apple” a veggy is technically close enough there are people that’d sooner starve than eat broccoli, but are fine with apples. And I damn well know a lot of people wouldn’t call a chocolate bar a veggy.

On a semi-related note: Great, now I’m gonna have to take two perks to continue eating people without penalty… :P[/quote]

That first part is more of an oversight than anything. We can easily change it up so the complete junk food items are NULL material, so as to let the Hates Vegetables crowd enjoy them. But as far as Hates Vegetables affecting your ability to enjoy an apple, that’s intentional; it wouldn’t be that much of a penalty to most folks otherwise, since a lot of people end up surviving better than half their time on meat alone.

And the way that Cannibal and Psychopath work it won’t keep a person who has Cannibal but not Psychopath from enjoying human flesh. They just won’t enjoy it as fully as somebody who has both traits. Also, their combined cost is the same as Cannibal used to cost, so it’s not going to cost you any more points than before.

Maybe psychopath could give a morale bonus instead of a penalty for guilt? Instead of a 50 point penalty, maybe a 10 point bonus instead? I’m imagining a psychopath getting elated while clearing out a school with a machete.

Indeed! I just find it difficult to believe a cannibal would have issues with killing another human, maybe not a child but a full grown adult. It just seems like a vegetarian getting upset over “killing” a carrot in order to eat it.

The morale loss suffered by a non-psycho cannibal for killing an innocent person is considerably less than the morale gained by eating them. The way Cannibal worked previously is basically what you get with both traits now - the cannibal who isn’t also a psycho just feels sort of a shameful glee when eating people, and still takes a big morale hit for killing friends. The non-psycho cannibal might be a self-loathing cannibal, or perhaps they’re driven by some delusion or compulsion which they can’t control yet feel responsible for. They realize what they do is wrong, but they derive a sick thrill from violating the cannibalism taboo. The psycho cannibal is like what the old Cannibal trait implied: a sick freak who views other humans as two-legged minute steaks. The non-psycho cannibal can actually be friends with another person (they feel remorse for hurting a friend as much as anyone) but the psycho cannibal is the sort you should never turn your back on because they feel no more remorse for cutting their friend’s throat than they do for eating a french fry.

Obviously the trait should be called “Made of Ozzymite”.

Obviously the trait should be called “Made of Ozzymite”.[/quote]
Call it what you will but I will be severely disappointed if it doesn’t reference Charlie Sheen’s rant from awhile back.

Thank you Rivet