Mod Packs

Hey, that’s mine!
Right, I wanted to do more testing on modpack content stuff. Now that the medieval content pack’s in it’s a perfect chance to do that.

Does that mean that the items still stay even if taken out of a mod pack?[/quote]
I think it means the game crashes when the modpack is not activated. Or it might just not spawn.[/quote]
It means that the best a mod can do is remove them from the spawnlists (which just stops them from spawning other than in the hardcoded location). It’s impossible to remove them from the json files without causing weird things such as debug messages and 'null’s when you get to where they should have spawned.

In my opinion that’s fine. Yeah, there will still be moans from some people about occasionally coming across hard coded stuff, but it’s good enough for now.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5466.0

I have a suggestion for handling mod packs in the mod manager. You have a pack page, click on it, and then it automatically enables all mods in the pack. My idea is to allow all mods to be uploaded to github and included by default in the download. Mod Manager has them all turned off. You then turn on. So people don’t hunt for mods.

[quote=“youtoo, post:24, topic:5147”]http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5466.0

I have a suggestion for handling mod packs in the mod manager. You have a pack page, click on it, and then it automatically enables all mods in the pack. My idea is to allow all mods to be uploaded to github and included by default in the download. Mod Manager has them all turned off. You then turn on. So people don’t hunt for mods.[/quote]

I remember that DoomRl had the possibility to drectly download and install the mods from the game, is that possible?

[quote=“StopSignal, post:25, topic:5147”][quote=“youtoo, post:24, topic:5147”]http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5466.0

I have a suggestion for handling mod packs in the mod manager. You have a pack page, click on it, and then it automatically enables all mods in the pack. My idea is to allow all mods to be uploaded to github and included by default in the download. Mod Manager has them all turned off. You then turn on. So people don’t hunt for mods.[/quote]

I remember that DoomRl had the possibility to drectly download and install the mods from the game, is that possible?[/quote]

If the mods get information for which versions they work could be possible. Going to give a lot of headaches I think.

I don’t really see the need to go to so much trouble and I know a lot of people have reservations about allowing programs to connect to the net - I know I do. Giving a link or a ‘find more mods online’ may help people find more, but I don’t think it needs to be that well signposted as people can just Google it.

It’d be nice if some of the professions were kept separate, not all of them are really necessary and just a few basic ones would keep the character creation thing from getting too cluttered and intimidating.

Very good idea. I think it’ll be difficult to say which ones are necessary or not though, and as this will need to be kept on as default (because everything that is currently in needs to stay in) this won’t have much of an effect for new players who are most likely to get intimidated.

Possibly worth starting a separate thread about how to tackle this? Perhaps the list could be divided into ‘recommended’ and ‘other’ professions, with recommended ones being the 10 main ones, whilst the others are ones which are just flavour based?

Very good idea. I think it’ll be difficult to say which ones are necessary or not though, and as this will need to be kept on as default (because everything that is currently in needs to stay in) this won’t have much of an effect for new players who are most likely to get intimidated.

Possibly worth starting a separate thread about how to tackle this? Perhaps the list could be divided into ‘recommended’ and ‘other’ professions, with recommended ones being the 10 main ones, whilst the others are ones which are just flavour based?[/quote]

Sadly, it will quickly get derailed in “Otaku proffession should go” thread. But i think what you say it’s necesary.

I’ve been wondering though. There are a lot of recipes in the game that take from the special creatures in the game. For example, plant mutagen pretty much needs fungal/triffid monsters. There’s some chance that removing a entire category of content from a game can effect content in other categories. Some items can become much harder/unobtainable even if it’s not the intended effect?

Once you get to the point of allowing/disallowing individual things, like professions, it’s work for mod manager v2.
We have some infrastructure for it already, where you can specify blacklists and whitelists of things in a json file, things on the blacklist are excluded, but the whitelist overrides the blacklist, so for example you could blacklist all triffids, but whitelist regular triffids for a “vanilla triffid” experience.
What we don’t have for it right now is an in-game UI that lets you edit the lists, or decent tagging that lets you include/exclude whole groups of things at a time.